Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Mantis Chi sao?

Northern Mantis Chi sao?

Hello,

I am aware of the fact that Northern Mantis style(s) is a very rich system that covers all ranges and is blessed with a rich variety of techniques. This makes me assume that you guys also have exercises that develop "sensitivity", "listening" and bridging aspects.

As the title of this thread implies I am curious to see if you guys practise a form of chi sao or equivalent to gain the attributes mentioned in the above paragraph. If so please give a more or less simple explanation on how you train these.

Thanks.

I did crossing or "sticky" hands when I trained mantis.I did'nt touch hands with the teacher.For some reason(SCARED)he NEVER did sticky hands or spar with me or the other senior students.But thats another story.Sticky hands does train listening skills but when sparring it does nothing for you.It can be bad in some ways.For example,during the short-lived sparring class,the wing chun and other mantis students would look for a bridge so they could try their sticking skills.While they were looking for a bridge I would just punch them in the face.I actually got in "trouble" for this and was told to let them use their techniques so they could "win".

Quote Originally Posted by notanexit View Post
    the wing chun and other mantis students would look for a bridge so they could try their sticking skills.While they were looking for a bridge I would just punch them in the face.
    Sounds like they missed making the bridge then..lol.

I do have to disagree with you though. While chi sao is not meant to be sparring, it does teach sensitivity & reaction skills that one can use when sparring.

I agree that sparring (as in fighting) usually will not have any lengthly exchanges if good strikes are being made, but some of the exchanges leaned through doing chi sao can teach you to shorten those exchanges if a bridge is in fact made.

Also, not to sound rude, but if you really think your teacher was scared,maybe you should just go test that theory rather than keep bringing it up. Life is too short to hold a grudge like you are carrying around. Resolve it.

Best wishes to all,
    BTL
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

As chi sao tui sao implies these are sticky hands and pushing hands most known in wingchun and taji. But mantis uses similar variations of these in our 12 priciples and in Jing applications.

The few that come to mind are

ZHAN - ( CONTACTING ) MEETING OPPONENTS FORCE

NIAN - ( STICKING ) MOVING WITH OPPONENTS MOVEMENTS

BANG - ( LINKING ) KENTIC ENERGY

And in terms of Jing

Trapping- Kun
    Sticking- Nien
    Neutralizing-Hua
    Intercepting-Jie
    Listening-Ting

These are all important tovewr come your opponent using his YI or intent before reflex.

notanexit,
    as I read ALL of your posts in the last 6 months or so you seem to (as Bei) said sound bitter and need to let it go.
    Its really getting bothersome that every post you reply to you need to throw in a jab at your ex teacher.

My God man find another one and move on with your life.

And to say that you teacher is scared to spar you is just ridiculous.

As well as when trying to do say push hands excerisize you breaking the connection and mving faster then punching them in the face perhaps it was the teacher who through YOU out! I would not tolerate that type of behavior in my class.

Dont know what your motivation is to do that but if you ever wish to cross hands with a mantis practicioner to see how effective mantis is by all means make you way up to NY and I will match you up with some of my begginer students...
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Thank you EarthDragon.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    As chi sao tui sao implies these are sticky hands and pushing hands most known in wingchun and taji. But mantis uses similar variations of these in our 12 priciples and in Jing applications.

Are the above trained in fixed, free flowing two man exercises or both types of exercises?

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon
    And in terms of Jing

Trapping- Kun
    Sticking- Nien
    Neutralizing-Hua
    Intercepting-Jie
    Listening-Ting
    Familiar concepts from the Wing Chun point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon
    These are all important to overcome your opponent using his YI or intent before reflex.
    You mean "jamming" or neutralizing him as soon as you "feel" his intent (through your bridge) as opposed to catching and stopping him halfway through his offence?

Are the above trained in fixed, free flowing two man exercises or both types of exercises?

technically they are trained with an (opponent) or in a school (partner)

You mean "jamming" or neutralizing him as soon as you "feel" his intent (through your bridge) as opposed to catching and stopping him halfway through his offence?

correct, you should never try to stop force.... this is wrong, you must always allow his motion to come and just redirect it then use it against him.... this is a higher level..
    the level i am working on now is to read the YI form the opponents thought before you "feel" ........this is again reacting to the reaction which is always slower... if you can read the intent beofre he moves you are always faster... to not be there when the punch is thrown is the ultimate defense but this takes decades...
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

technically they are trained with an (opponent) or in a school (partner)

correct, you should never try to stop force.... this is wrong, you must always allow his motion to come and just redirect it then use it against him.... this is a higher level..
    the level i am working on now is to read the YI form the opponents thought before you "feel" ........this is again reacting to the reaction which is always slower... if you can read the intent beofre he moves you are always faster... to not be there when the punch is thrown is the ultimate defense but this takes decades...
    I understand now. Thank you.

I suspect that in another scenario you can even stop the motion from a physically more powerful person if you "catch" his intent before he moves and jam him with a push or even re-direction.

absolutely, the key is to not have to react to him but rather act prior, this will enable you to be one step ahead.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJGJM...e=channel_page

Good example me thinks

Craig

[B] you should never try to stop force....
    Never say never...

Yes Tainan you are correct, there are times when this is neccesary..... I should have known never to say never from James Bond...
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Quote Originally Posted by BeiTangLang View Post
    Sounds like they missed making the bridge then..lol.

I do have to disagree with you though. While chi sao is not meant to be sparring, it does teach sensitivity & reaction skills that one can use when sparring.
    That's were I found the flaws in the training.The students are trained to do techniques against a partner who GAVE them EXACT bridge so they could use sticky hands or chi sao.But when sparring those bridges weren't there.The previous training only gave them false confidence because they were used to working with a complaint partner.That's why I and others got in trouble.I had to LET them WIN in order to restore that false confidence.

I agree that sparring (as in fighting) usually will not have any lengthly exchanges if good strikes are being made, but some of the exchanges leaned through doing chi sao can teach you to shorten those exchanges if a bridge is in fact made.
    Yes,with proper training
    Also, not to sound rude, but if you really think your teacher was scared,maybe you should just go test that theory rather than keep bringing it up. Life is too short to hold a grudge like you are carrying around. Resolve it.
    Best wishes to all,
    BTL
    I had a thread here a couple of weeks ago in which I stated that I would like to settle this face to face.But it was deleted(Disciple:Wah!! Gene he's talking about me make it stop Wah!!)I even gave an example of his cowardice in which he backstabbed me and relayed it to some senior students (knowing that they would tell me)Because he did'nt have the guts to tell me himself.Just letting the truth be known.He is whats wrong with cma.

And in terms of Jing

Trapping- Kun
    Sticking- Nien
    Neutralizing-Hua
    Intercepting-Jie
    Listening-Ting

These are all important tovewr come your opponent using his YI or intent before reflex.I studied that same theory.You know what I found out?It's different trying to apply them against a resisting opponent.Very different.
    notanexit,
    as I read ALL of your posts in the last 6 months or so you seem to (as Bei) said sound bitter and need to let it go.
    Its really getting bothersome that every post you reply to you need to throw in a jab at your ex teacher. He has a thread about me in his forum,is that bothersome to you as well?There is a thing called the first amendment(for right now).You dont have to read ANY of my posts or respond to them.
    My God man find another one and move on with your life.

And to say that you teacher is scared to spar you is just ridiculous.Why is that ridiculous?He had plenty of oppurtunity to cross hands or spar me and other senior students,NEVER happened.I read and see other teachers sparring their students.
    As well as when trying to do say push hands excerisize you breaking the connection and mving faster then punching them in the face perhaps it was the teacher who through YOU out! I would not tolerate that type of behavior in my class.Was not doing push hands,I was sparring

Dont know what your motivation is to do that but if you ever wish to cross hands with a mantis practicioner to see how effective mantis is by all means make you way up to NY and I will match you up with some of my begginer students...
    Why your beginner students?Why not you?I'll answer that for you.If by chance I cross hands with you and if by chance(becuase you're so great) I get a few shots in on you it will ruin your invincible sifu "mystique" you hold over your students.I know this because whenever someone from another school showed up it was me and a few others who crossed hands with him,not the "sifu".
    Last edited by BeiTangLang; 02-22-2009 at 01:50 PM.

I dont think it is so bad that an instructor wont go full contact with his students.

I have students that more than likely can kick my a$$. Doesnt bother me any....in fact I am very proud of it. Isnt that the point....to make your students better than you? If not each generation gets weaker and weaker.....with a bunch of idiots representing your style.

The person who trains a student for a year or so....and cant get the student to the level that they can give them a good fight or even defeat them on a good day is holding out or just a TERRIBLE teacher. This is assuming the student is still in his youth, trains hard and fights full contact several times a week. It may also be a little harder if the instructor is 6ft 4in 280lbs going against a 5ft 3in 105lb student.....you get the point.

My students show me total respect and have no problem with me not fighting them. They know a big part of the reason they can handle themselves in a full contact situation is because of what I taught them...not because I fought them everyday.

I have a feeling Muhammad Ali (born Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr) could have kicked his trainers a$$....but I havnt seen any clips of him talking smack about his teachers.

So, Notanexit...you sound like a fantastic fighter...I would suggest you open your own school and take on all challengers.....just hope your not a light contact fighter...could be bad for you.

Or you can take my approach to challenges. If someone wants to fight me they have to start with the lowest ranking beginner and go all the way up through each student in the school. If they can make it and not get defeated....they shoud be so tired by the time they get to me I can just push them over.

Good points Mantid. Cassius Clays long time coach Angelo Dundee more than likely never got in the ring and fought him but coached him to bring out the best in him. Usually great fighters had great coaches. I feel as if my approach to teaching kung fu is more like a coach than teacher. Maybe it was the way I was brought up in America being coached all those years in American sports. I to am very happy with some of my folks and their martial achievements. My goal is for them to be better than me. Ha ha, start the challenge with your lower ranks, your a funny guy Mantid. Knowing you have fearsome german shephards watching over things at your school, not sure if I would make a challenge.

Shifu taught us a nifty way of applying applications out of a form using "pressing palms".
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

notanexit,

Why your beginner students?Why not you?I'll answer that for you.If by chance I cross hands with you and if by chance(becuase you're so great) I get a few shots in on you it will ruin your invincible sifu "mystique" you hold over your students.I know this because whenever someone from another school showed up it was me and a few others who crossed hands with him,not the "sifu".

Please understand I am not calling you a beginer or said you cant fight, I dont know you so I will not make these assumptions. But you must realize that you just cant walk into a school off the street and expect the sifu to fight you.
    This is never going to happen for many reasons some I will share with you.

1.What person in thier right mind would be....first off, at the skill level to possibly being able to get a few shots in on a sifu and secondly...... if they have achieved such a level of skill there will obviously be some respect and dicipline invloved to which they would not have something to prove as well.

2.Why would I waste my time? what do I have to prove to that individal?

3. I would want to see how this person did aginst my lower level students.. if my students beat them , then again why would I bother. If I am the fastest runner at my school, would the new kid challenge the fastest? no, he would race against the slowest and work up form there, and see where he fit.

4. Insurance.... If it fight someone walking in off the street and split thier head open or break thier nose, who's to say they wont come back and sue me for my school, my house, and everything I own?

5.Respect.... out of respect for onesself these challenges will never work. who needs to show more respect the hot head or the teacher? the hot head could be a crack head while the teacher is a pillar in the community.

So YES thier are bad teachers out there and weak ones who cant fight thier way out of a wet paper bag I know this trust me.
    I see them all the time, we have so many crappy MA schools in NY you couldnt imagine and I poke fun at them all the time. We have a kung fu school on my street that wears japanese Gi's for Christs sake.

But its up to the individual to find what he seeks. thats why I have taught so many experianced MA's I have taken in 7 BB into my system and re taught them our way, more so than any other school in Buffalo.. Why??? because I am first and foremost a fighter
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan