Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Ape-Monkey Fist

Shaolin Ape-Monkey Fist

Hi;

Does anyone have any factual (people, places, and things) information about Shaolin Yuan-Huo Quan?

it's practiced in the Dengfeng region (I learned it long ago), and it is a short set

Here's what I know so far, if anyone can please add to it, that would be great, thanks!

The Ape-Monkey fist (Shaolin Yuan-Hou 猿猴 Quan; also known as Shaolin Hou Quan) has a long history at Shaolin as well. Most of the attacks are aimed at the knees, groin area, throat, or eyes of the opponent and hand strikes are normally either open handed slaps or clawing with a semi-closed fist called the monkey claw. Besides the palm, it does use a clenched fist knuckle punch. But, even though the name of the routine is Ape-Monkey Fist, there is not a lot of funny monkey like movements as seen in modern Monkey Boxing routines, although today Shaolin has some of these theatrical monkey sets. (The theatrical Monkey boxing that is often seen in demonstrations and competitions today traces back to the Emei region in Sichuan, where it was taught by the famous "Monkey King" Xiao Yingpeng and others.)

Yuan-Hou Quan movements instead seem to be related to the Wen County Henan martial arts, such as the Hong Quan / Taizhu Chang Quan, Tongbei Quan, Jingang Quan, etc., which also mean that they are similar to the movements of Rou Quan and Chen Taiji Quan as well. The first section of this generally short set is very similar to the first section of Taizhu Chang Quan 32 Postures, Rou Quan 36 Postures, Taiji Yi Lu, and other related routines that have basically the same movements in their first section as these sets. The Yuan-Hou set also has a posture called Single Whip occurring in the same point of the sequence as in these other sets; also it performs a "Jingang Pounds Mortar" movement named "Ya Shou Su Shen - Press down hand and shrink body".

The question is which came first? It was mentioned in General Qi Jiguang’s Ming dynasty era book, and he places it as part of the Taizhu Chang Quan related material of 6 Step Boxing, Glorious (Hua) Boxing, etc. This set has also always been considered one of the routines that Zhao Kuangyin practiced as part of his family style (perhaps because of General Qi’s book?). Also, this set is considered very old, from pre-Song dynasty times. This is one of the rarest sets in Shaolin Quan, where is not even practiced anymore, but it can be found in the Dengfeng area, where (Zhao Kuangyin’s) Lao Hong Quan and Rou Quan 36 Postures sets are practiced.
    Last edited by Sal Canzonieri; 02-18-2009 at 08:19 PM.

Shaolin Ape Fist

Sal,
    I do not have any info but If you get any I would be interested in this set. My Sifu John Ervin says he has some old white ape stuff but it seems to be related to the tong bei system. Let me know what you find out.

ginosifu@shaolininstitute.com

Thanks
    Gino

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    Sal,
    I do not have any info but If you get any I would be interested in this set. My Sifu John Ervin says he has some old white ape stuff but it seems to be related to the tong bei system. Let me know what you find out.

ginosifu@shaolininstitute.com

Thanks
    Gino
    I can tell you now if you do this set you will love it.

There's something amazing about it, I can't pin point why.

It makes all the other stuff like Hong Quan, Taizhu Chang Quan, Chen Taiji, Rou Quan, all make sense.
    I feel like it is some missing piece to a grand puzzle.

I just spend the last 3 weeks writing a 100+ page paper on this puzzle!

Hey Gino,
    White ape refers to Tongbei . It is Shi style of tongbei , named Baiyuan Tongbei. It is similar to piqua chuan, I think it is related or in the piqua family.
    Last edited by SharkyT; 02-18-2009 at 09:09 PM.

Hou Quan

Yes there are Hou Quan sets in the Shaolin I practice as well. Our oral tradition say that these were developed at Shaolin by its monks. During the Song dynasty, a golden monkey often came to Shaolin Monastery to get food. Encouraged by the abbot, the little monks befriended the animal.

These monkey imitation sets were taught mainly to young monks at Shaolin.
    In our lineage we have 6 sets (they are not called Hou Quan, but rather Yuan Hou -猿猴).
    The second longer hand set is called:
    小小猿猴 Yuan Hou
    and three staff sets:
    猴子棍 and 五花猴棍

r.
    ps
    The first hand set is short, the other is long, all are done in a typical Shaolin 'roads' (left to right) fashion. In our case the movements do resemble the actions of the monkeys.
    However, having said this, when my treacher first saw the modern 'wushu' monkey when the Bejing wushu team first came to New York in the late '70's(early 1980??), his comments where, "Their monkey looks like monkey form but they have no fighting application." Basically traditional Shaolin monkey sets look like monkey actions but have obvious fighting applications.
    In our monkey sets as well there is a number of "- Press down hand and shrink body" movements not unlike what Shi Dejian does in some of his sets.
    The legends about our sets suggest that monkey sets have been at Shaolin for a long time and says, " In every dynasty some people learned this style resulting in many sets and names for these techniques." Our tradition says, like Hong Quan Quan, there sets were introduced to Shaolin during the Song period.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 08-09-2011 at 06:04 AM.

Thumbs up

r. Shaolin,
    Great answer. I didnt know Shi Dijen was doing Shaolin monkey from what I have seen in video clip. He is amazing

Is this the same set you sent me the charts for?

Besides that chart, are there any other sources for it?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    Is this the same set you sent me the charts for?

Besides that chart, are there any other sources for it?
    Yes, the same set. I am looking for other sources.

Quote Originally Posted by r.(shaolin) View Post
    Yes there are Hou Quan sets in the Shaolin I practice as well. Our oral tradition say that these were developed at Shaolin. During the Song dynasty, a golden monkey often came to Shaolin Monastery to get food. Encouraged by the abbot, the little monks befriended the animal.

These monkey imitation sets were taught to the young monks at Shaolin
    In our lineage we have 4 sets these sets, not called Hou Quan, but rather Yuan Hou:
    Two hand sets
    小猿猴 Yuan Hou (lian quan jiao)
    and two staff sets:
    猴子棍 and 五花猴棍

r.
    ps
    The first hand set is short, the other is long, all are done in a typical Shaolin 'roads' (left to right) fashion. In our case the movements do resemble the actions of the monkeys.
    However, having said this, when my treacher first saw the modern 'wushu' monkey when the Bejing wushu team first came to New York in the late '70's(early 1980??), his comments where, "Their monkey looks like monkey form but they have no fighting application." Basically traditional Shaolin monkey sets look like monkey actions but have obvious fighting applications.
    In your monkey sets as well there is a number of "- Press down hand and shrink body" movements not unlike what Shi Dejian does in some of his sets.
    The legends about our sets suggest that monkey sets have been at Shaolin for a long time and says, " In every dynasty some people learned this style resulting in many sets and names for these techniques." Our tradition says, like Hong Quan Quan, there sets were introduced to Shaolin during the Song period.
    I think that is the set I am talking about, yes.
    It is monkey like, but no where near as silly as modern monkey sets are done.
    It is a lot like Hong Quan sets, there are indeed in this set, "press down hand and shrink body" postures.
    Well ANY kind of factual information anyone can provide about this set, let me know thanks!

Any vidoes?

The set is only 26 postures long.

One thing I would add, the only Shaolin animal imitation method that includes facial expressions is the monkey sets. If you are interested in seeing this let me know.
    r.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 02-20-2009 at 10:10 PM.

One thing I would add, the only Shaolin animal imitation method that includes facial expressions is the monkey sets. If you are interested in seeing this let me know.
    r.
    Well, I would like to see if it is the set I am talking about, at least.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by r.(shaolin) View Post
    r.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    Well, I would like to see if it is the set I am talking about, at least.
    Here is a posture from one of the bare hand sets and one from a staff set
    The opening of the eyes and mouth position have to do with vison and breath control.
    Under combat stress the heart-rate can spin out of control and there is a tendency for vision loss and tunnel vision.
    r.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 02-24-2009 at 01:13 PM.

Here is a posture from one of the bare hand sets and one from a staff set
    The opening of the eyes and mouth position have to do with vison and breath control.
    Under combat stress the heart-rate can spin out of control and there is a tendency for vision loss and tunnel vision.
    r.
    yes, the set i am thinking of has those postures and that special Ren Shou, "acknowledge hands" thing.

Sal,

r. (shaolin) has taken the time to show his, why not take the time to show yours? There is always that chance that someone else out there just might have that form you are talking about, that you claim to have. What you are doing is like trying to catch an apple with a Dixie cup.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    I think that is the set I am talking about, yes.
    It is monkey like, but no where near as silly as modern monkey sets are done.
    It is a lot like Hong Quan sets, there are indeed in this set, "press down hand and shrink body" postures.
    Well ANY kind of factual information anyone can provide about this set, let me know thanks!

Any vidoes?

The set is only 26 postures long.
    i know of a shaolin monkey set that is 26 postures long. the first movement is called yuánhóu shùshēn (猿猴束身). not so theatrical, obvious applications, several different kicks, and ends in the zuòshān (座山) posture. there is a book published on it, but doesnt have any such information about it.