Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OT: nationalization of american banks?

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    By no means do I want the US automakers to fail. But at the same time, it's not the taxpayers responsibility to bail them out. I love American cars. I love racing cars. I love the jawing over cars, it's all in good fun. While Ford is doing alot better than GM and Chrysler (and would likely benefit from their demise), I would miss them not being in the car market anymore.
    Ford still lost 14 billion last year.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    While I am tempted to say there is no way to go but up, ...
    Well there isn't too far left to fall.

Even if they get another bailout (and I predict Obama will give them one), there will be a limit. Sooner or later the taxpayers who elect our Congress and President will say enough is enough if they cant fix theri own problems.

Japan repeatedly tried bailouts (I believe they had at least 8) in the 1990s. The policy failed badly, and the 1990s are referred to as the "Lost Decade" in Japan.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

The automotive sector issue is lack of sales for what they are producing.
    They MUST cut production AND increase sales.
    Eco 101.

They must motivate buyers to buy their cars by not only making them more affordable, but better with better purchase options and better customer service.

Ford still lost 14 billion last year.
    I said they were doing better than GM and Chrysler. They are.

They have lost money for awhile now, but under their new CEO (Alan Mulally), they had their first profitable quarter in two years. He also sold Jaguar and Land Rover to concentrate on the Ford line of vehicles. He brought back the Ford Taurus, which was an excellent decision. And remember, Ford is not facing bankruptcy like the other 2 Amercan car makers.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

I said they were doing better than GM and Chrysler. They are.

They have lost money for awhile now, but under their new CEO (Alan Mulally), they had their first profitable quarter in two years. He also sold Jaguar and Land Rover to concentrate on the Ford line of vehicles. He brought back the Ford Taurus, which was an excellent decision. And remember, Ford is not facing bankruptcy like the other 2 Amercan car makers.
    Normally I would say "YET", but I think Ford is more viable then the others, IF they keep their customer base happy.
    We shall see.

The automotive sector issue is lack of sales for what they are producing.
    They MUST cut production AND increase sales.
    Eco 101.
    Well, they have to get their production costs down too, and that includes labor. In that department the Japanese are beating the pants off them.

Again, the top 2 selling vehicles here are GM and Ford pick-ups. They can sell cars. The Malibu can't be produced fast enough, so it's not entirely a case of over producing and low sales.

They must motivate buyers to buy their cars by not only making them more affordable, but better with better purchase options and better customer service.
    Agreed

Normally I would say "YET", but I think Ford is more viable then the others, IF they keep their customer base happy.
    We shall see.
    It's an 'If', that's for sure. Bringing back the Taurus was smart. That car was loved by fleets and had a very loyal individual customer base. F-150 buyers tend to be quite loyal as well. Ford also got into the hybrid market quite quickly, which helped their market share in that new market.

If they put the 5.0 motor back in the Mustangs, I'll likely be buying one of those as well.

I can tell you this, GM already lost one car from our fleet, we went with Nissan instead, better monthly payments.
    They lost another last year, we went with Mazda.
    We have two more coming due this summer, I don't think GM will get these two either.

We have two more coming due this summer, I don't think GM will get these two either.
    Cars or trucks?

If cars, did you guys ever buy a Taurus?

Cars or trucks?

If cars, did you guys ever buy a Taurus?
    We got the Altima from Nissan and a Tribute from Mazda.
    The other two are trucks, right now both are GMC Canyons.
    Looks like we may go after the Frontier (Nissan) or the Tacoma ( Toyota).
    Although the F-150 looks tempting, but is probably too much on the monthly payments.