Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Buck Sing Choy Lay Fut is different to other branches of Choy Lay Fut.

beiquan Guest

vince lacey's bsl

I saw some of his students doing these forms on a tape of Wing Lam's 25th anniversary (I think). It's been a while since I saw the tapes, but I remember that I recognized the forms immediately as BSL forms, but with a different flavor. I have seen a student of Lai Hung, who was himself a student of Long Zi Xiang, perform #6 and I remember the flavor being similar. If I get a chance to see the tape again, I'll try to say something more about it...

BukSing Guest

Lun Chee (Gee, Tse, etc...)

Here is a recent photo of Lun Chee who was Tam Sam's inner chamber disciple, at the World Choy Lay Fut Reuinion held in Singapore last June:

http://www.buksing.com/singapore_200...ne_theater.jpg

beiquan,

I would like to hear what you know about those Buk Siu Lum sets that you have witnessed...

Charp-Chui

BukSing Guest

A Correction on Lun Chee...

I think I made a mistake assuming that the text link picture above was Lun Chee. from the description given in Vince Lacey's web page about the pic, it sounded like it was one of TWO surviving students of Tam Sam. I think this man's name is Deng Xi.

Charp-Chui

Hung Sing and Buk Sing

Just some generic questions about Choy Li Fut,

I live near San Francisco and have several Choy Li Fut schools near by. I like to understand the relationships a little bit better. Can any one explain the relationship between Hung Sing (The Futsan version) and Buk Sing. I have found several websites from Bak Sing relating to Tan San and newer generations. I read some where, or though I did, that Buk Sing and Hung Sing stemed from the same line prior to Tan San. Are they close?

SF has Buk Sing from Lai Hung and the Lacey and Hung Sing from Lau Bun and Doc Fai Wong among others. I wonder about the similarities and differences.

Also, does any one know where Tat Mau Wong or his sifu fits in? I seem to think they are Hung Sing but am not too sure.

Thanks for any info

Tom
    ________
    MARRIAGE COUNSELING
    Last edited by tparkerkfo; 04-04-2011 at 05:34 PM.

The futsan Hung sing and Buk sing are kind of related because I think that Tarm Sarm was a disiple of Jeong yim (Hung Sing). I think that's right. Anyway the only differance in my opinion in all choy li fut is minor since they all share the same basic techniques and principles.

Tam Sarm was a student of Lui, Charn. Lui, Charn was a student of Jeong , Yim.

However, later on, Tam, Sarm also learned from Chan, Heung's 2nd son, Chan, Koon Pak, but people never mentioned this...

Lee, Koon Hung's lineage is a mixed one as he learned from students of Poon, Dik, and Poon Dik learned from Lern, Kwai, who was the Futsan branch. Then after Jeong Yim died, Lern Kwai , along with his students, one of them being Poon Dik, went and studied under Chan, Koon Pak.

So, it's not easy really to distinguish what 'sing' someone is in....I guess all it really matters is it's Choyleefut. That's what it matters.

IN ALL HIS DAYS TARM SARM CONSIDERED HIMSELF TO BE HUNG SING AND FORBID HIS STUDENTS FROM CALLING HIS KUNG FU BUK SING.

I HAVE ALSO BEEN TAUGHT THAT CHAN HUENG SENT ONE OF HIS SONS TO STUDY WITH CHUENG HUNG SING (CHUENG YIM).
    BUT PEOPLE NEVER MENTIONED THIS EITHER..

TO tparkerkfo-"SF has Buk Sing from Lai Hung and the Lacey "
    LAI HUNG IS "the Lacey"'s SIFU SO THEY ARE THE SAME HUNG SING

Blog Entries
    Lee, Koon Hung's lineage is a mixed one as he learned from students of Poon, Dik, and Poon Dik learned from Lern, Kwai, who was the Futsan branch. Then after Jeong Yim died, Lern Kwai , along with his students, one of them being Poon Dik, went and studied under Chan, Koon Pak.
    And as you will see our forms have a different flavor than the other Hung Sing schools, this must be the Chan Family influence.

Thanks for all the excellent replies. I was aware that Lai Hung was indeed one of the Lacey's earlier teachers. I however was not sure who Tan San and Lee Koon Hung learned from.

For my follow up, I was thinking about joining a CLF school a while ago but I was very nieve. The teacher said they only had three forms. I read Doc Fai Wong's CLF has over a hundred forms, so I figured this guy didn't learn much. But now I think he may have been from a different branch. Any idea which system has only a couple forms?

Tom
    ________
    Free Watch Xxx Movies

When choosing a school, the number of forms it teaches is pretty much irrelevant. Just make sure it teaches CLF, and the main forms that most CLF schools teach.

Choyleefutman
    thank for the clarification of tarm sarm. I knew that he was tide in with Jeong Hung Sing somehow.

tparkerkfo
    I just had this conversation with Arhat of Fury and he informed us that the Buk sing style only had 3 core forms. Maybe he was a Buk sing practitioner. The important thing in finding a sifu is; Is he any good, how will he help you in your study of clf and how is he as a person....i.e. is he a humble person sincere in his teachings. I wish you the best of luck finding a clf sifu because this is truely a great martial art. Also living in San Fran has got to be a big plus in finding a qualified teacher.

I believe the lineage with a few forms belong to Buk Sing.

Something about Tam Sam leaving his school before finishing his study in Hung Sing. Yet I believe some school incorporated Buk Sil Lum's form into their curriculum as well.

setansi said...

'I HAVE ALSO BEEN TAUGHT THAT CHAN HUENG SENT ONE OF HIS SONS TO STUDY WITH CHUENG HUNG SING (CHUENG YIM).
    BUT PEOPLE NEVER MENTIONED THIS EITHER...'

Unfortunately, there have been all kinds of diff stories about CLF, a lot of them being contraditory to their own dates if you read carefully, so it's up to whoever reads them to believe what's true, what's not...

Obviously no one is old enough to have lived from then till now to tell what actually happened and that no records are there, but a lot of times you can judge by applying common sense such as :

if you are a master who could found a style of your own, will you have to send your own son away from home to another city to your own student to learn your art? (unless you are dying....or somehow no longer able to teach him...)

No hard feelings, just a friendly discussion...

Blog Entries
    Obviously no one is old enough to have lived from then till now to tell what actually happened and that no records are there, but a lot of times you can judge by applying common sense such as :
    There are some people here who don't think that way. They assume that if their Sifu told them something it is the undeniable truth and to refute it is disrespectful. I disagree with this, all people must decide for themselves and apply critical thinking. Although, you might not want to refute things like this right to your Sifu's face ...that is ,if you want to keep learning from him....but on this forum we are anonymous and you can say whatever you want.

Hello again,

Thanls for all the replies. I just want to note that I am NOT looking into learning Choy Li Fut. I would love to at some time, or better yet, befriend a CLF practicioner. It is not that I have a problem with CLF, just that I am committed to other stuff. I do like and respect CLF very much and is why I am asking so many questions. I am not in SF but in Sacramento. SF does indeed have many availible schools in CLF. In my area we have 2 CLF schools. One is from Doc Fai Wong's lineage and the other is from Lai Hung's. I am not to interested in Doc Fai Wong's CLF, except for Lau Bun's lineage. But I was considering Lai Hung's lineage before I chose another school.

Also, I am aware that the number of forms has little to do with ones skills. I come from a wing chun back ground with only three main forms. Now I am in Hung Gar with only four main hand forms. But in my ignorance, I though 3 out of 100 was not good. I didn't realize at the time that there were different lineages. It would have been a good expereince had I gone. One of several martial arts mistakes I have made over the years. LOL.

Tom
    ________
    Old Man Vids