• let other teacher do it

5 23.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Teaching your kids

Teaching your kids

yes or no.

comment?

I will train with my kids, going over what another instructor shows them. In our society, however, I feel it is difficult to play the role of father and instructor. I have 3 younglings, and I would no sooner teach them MA then I would advanced calculus. I let the teachers teach (that's what they get paid for) and I help if they need it. If my child were to come to me and ask to learn something, I would never turn them down, but i will not take the reins to show them advanced material.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    good question but i'd have to say let another do it...you certainly want to vet them well but often it is better to have a loved one trained by someone else.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

every great MA I know has taken thier children to another teacher for instruction. You should do the same
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

I voted to let another do it.

the role of teacher is important for a child to grow.

to mix it in with parent as well removes a dynamic from the learning environment that is necessary.

the child will face barriers when being taught by a parent instead of a separate teacher.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Who voted "It is up to the kids?" Depending on the age of the child, they should not be making decision regarding their lives.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

children learn on there own growing up before they go off to find a teacher, until then the parents are who they look up to, who they find security in... i teach my kids the basics... headbutting, elbows, kicks, biting, punching... you really don't need to be a qualified, accepted, or politically correct sifu/teacher/master to teach this stuff. the basics are all universal... my 4 year old has one heck of a headbutt. children are under the care of their parents until they take flight on their own... if they want to go off and join a karate class, i will not stop them. parents are a childs sole teacher when young, parents that are afraid of teaching their children perhaps should not have them.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    children learn on there own growing up before they go off to find a teacher, until then the parents are who they look up to, who they find security in... i teach my kids the basics... headbutting, elbows, kicks, biting, punching... you really don't need to be a qualified, accepted, or politically correct sifu/teacher/master to teach this stuff. the basics are all universal... my 4 year old has one heck of a headbutt. children are under the care of their parents until they take flight on their own... if they want to go off and join a karate class, i will not stop them. parents are a childs sole teacher when young, parents that are afraid of teaching their children perhaps should not have them.
    It has nothing to do with afraid of teaching. It has to do with appropriateness of it. There are certain roles a parent should fill in a child's life and certain ones they shouldn't. Teaching a child should be the role of someone else, it is the parents responsiblity to choose the best instructor.
    ------
    Jason

i think its good to teach your children certain aspects of martial arts as they grow into an age where they can begin to train. you find out if they are interested for one, you can see where they have strengths and weaknesses. such as if they have an aptitude for MA activity.

some of the best MA ive met started training with their fathers. Not ALL their training is this way, but often times this is how they began their love for the MA.

It also creates a different bond with your son/daughter, you otherwise would never experience.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF View Post
    There are certain roles a parent should fill in a child's life and certain ones they shouldn't.
    my role as a father is a provider and a protector, children learn from me, their mom, and the people they are around, but ultimately they learn from their parents... a parent should be able to fill all the roles a child needs in ones life until they move on into the world by themselves.

Teaching a child should be the role of someone else, it is the parents responsiblity to choose the best instructor.
    why would you not pass on what you have learned to your children? are you implying that you are training with or from the wrong instructor and not the best? do you teach in your school? are you taught at in your school by others? why would you believe yourself not being an approriate teacher for your child?

i believe this society has taught a fallacy to the people by teaching that one must send a child off to school to learn something useful... nothing more than a justification later in life to point and place the blame on someone else, because someone else should've done better... nothing more than a way for parents to get out of accepting full responsibility for their children. period.
    Last edited by uki; 02-19-2009 at 11:31 AM.

uki-

this society isn't the only one that ascribes to teaching being done by a non parent.

of course there are many things a child will learn from their parent or parents or guardians.

However, most parents do not have the skill or knowledge to impart most of the skills and knowledge a child will require.

basics is basics, but if you want your child to learn something fully, it is better to send them to a teacher. I'm betting you, along with most parents are completely unable to deliver a grade 10 math curriculum. I'm also betting that you are incapable of teaching your children how to box, kickbox, field strip a rifle and all sorts of other useful martial skills.

that much is known vis a vis a whole lot of trial and error.

seriously dude, get over yourself. lol.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

i would teach my kid martial arts if he wanted me too. if he wanted to learn from someone else, i would suck it up and look for a good school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    uki-

this society isn't the only one that ascribes to teaching being done by a non parent.

of course there are many things a child will learn from their parent or parents or guardians.

However, most parents do not have the skill or knowledge to impart most of the skills and knowledge a child will require.

basics is basics, but if you want your child to learn something fully, it is better to send them to a teacher. I'm betting you, along with most parents are completely unable to deliver a grade 10 math curriculum. I'm also betting that you are incapable of teaching your children how to box, kickbox, field strip a rifle and all sorts of other useful martial skills.

seriously dude, get over yourself. lol.
    you don't believe in home schooling i take it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    uki-
    david... as if we didn't know each others names.
    i know, it's a world wide plague.
    because they were brought up in a society such as this one that does not promote parental teaching and education... the parents are dumb because it's reflecting their parents throwing them out of the house for 6-7 hours a day for school... parents lack the ability to teach because that is how they were taught.
    basics is basics, but if you want your child to learn something fully, it is better to send them to a teacher.
    a child is never fully educated, this is why they turn into adults and refine what they have learned, no matter what the subject.
    I'm betting you, along with most parents are completely unable to deliver a grade 10 math curriculum.
    why not? i'll tell you, because this society doesn't operate on that frequency... and don't flatter yourself, you know very little about my intelligence level. math is a high debatable example anyway, some folks are truly more gifted towards it, but in your average lifespan, the fundamentuals of calculus and trig are not going to make one lead an uncomfortable life.
    I'm also betting that you are incapable of teaching your children how to box, kickbox, field strip a rifle and all sorts of other useful martial skills.
    of course you believe this, you are much too full of yourself.
    trial and error is learned by everyone.
    seriously dude, get over yourself.
    why? myself is all i got.
    lol.
    there is that image of a tub full of jelly laughing in chair again...

my role as a father is a provider and a protector, children learn from me, their mom, and the people they are around, but ultimately they learn from their parents... a parent should be able to fill all the roles a child needs in ones life until they move on into the world by themselves.
    A parent should NOT fill all the roles in a child's life. First romantic love, first kiss, first date? But on a less disturbing level, they shouldn't be the child's best friend or main instructor. A parent does not have the skills necessary to teach a child everything. That is why society has teachers and instructors, and why, IMO, home schooled kids have serious issues.

why would you not pass on what you have learned to your children? are you implying that you are training with or from the wrong instructor and not the best? do you teach in your school? are you taught at in your school by others? why would you believe yourself not being an approriate teacher for your child?
    Who would my child be better off learning from? Me or my instructor? If the answer is my instructor. If my child was better off learning from me, I would be teaching my instructor, no?

i believe this society has taught a fallacy to the people by teaching that one must send a child off to school to learn something useful... nothing more than a justification later in life to point and place the blame on someone else, because someone else should've done better... nothing more than a way for parents to get out of accepting full responsibility for their children. period.
    I am not saying my child will learn nothing from me, in fact one of my posts states I would be happy to teach my child something if they asked. However, a majority of the teaching of fact should be left to other. Teaching morals and opinions is the parents responsibility. This is why people say racism is taught, it is based on opinion.

Uki, while I find some of your points interesting, it is obvious that your opinions and mine are in direct conflict. We obviously must settle this with a death match
    ------
    Jason