Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you teach your kids to fight?

Do you teach your kids to fight?

This is an off-shoot of the other thread. Your child comes home and complains they are being bullied. They told the teacher, as a good parent you sepak to the teacher. It happens again. Do you tell your child to end it themselves with a nice shot to the nose, or do you go through the "conventional" mediation offered at the public schools?
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Old school baby, I tried using the system it doesnt work . its like the court system if works for the courts interest..... not yours... do it the old fashion way. all the counciling wont like an old fashion a$$ whoopin
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF View Post
    This is an off-shoot of the other thread. Your child comes home and complains they are being bullied. They told the teacher, as a good parent you sepak to the teacher. It happens again. Do you tell your child to end it themselves with a nice shot to the nose, or do you go through the "conventional" mediation offered at the public schools?
    the first time i got bullied ( i was the new kid every year or 2 due to dads career) my pops showed me how to box a bit. so that i could stand up for myself.

the next time i got bullied i gave the kid a bloody nose and he left me alone.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

yes. i told my 8 year old that if someone punches her at school again to turn around and knock them out... my dad never taught me to fight back, he taught me the christian goody two shoes, to let them strike you on the other cheek. not me, headbutt all the way, cuz if you don't teach them while they are young, they're likely to be a door mat for the rest of their life.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    yes. i told my 8 year old that if someone punches her at school again to turn around and knock them out... my dad never taught me to fight back, he taught me the christian goody two shoes, to let them strike you on the other cheek. not me, headbutt all the way, cuz if you don't teach them while they are young, they're likely to be a door mat for the rest of their life.
    I was brought up to be a good christian, never had any issues myself and never been a door mat.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I was brought up to be a good christian, never had any issues myself and never been a door mat.
    yet how would you have dealt with an issue if it so arrived? did you live the sheltered life?

yet how would you have dealt with an issue if it so arrived? did you live the sheltered life?
    Oh yes, very sheltered !

Nah dude, I was born and raised in Europe, bounced for years and served as a peackeeper in Bosnia.
    Hardly sheltered.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Hell must have frozen over. Uki and I agree on something. I have told my daughter, more times than I would like to count, that if she is bothered, hit em. I will be happy to go to the principal's office and explain that the school's inability to handle a bullying situation resulted in my child's need to defend herself.

Now if she would just listen...
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF View Post
    Now if she would just listen...
    i feel sorry for the sucker she finally pops.

i feel sorry for the sucker she finally pops.
    It will definitely be a "repressed rage" strike with all the force that that entails.
    ------
    Jason

I don't have any kids.

My cat has good reflexes though, and I harass him a lot, so I guess I suggest hitting the bully back...hard. Two eyes for an eye leaves the one eyed man in charge.

A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    I don't have any kids.
    you're missing out.
    My cat has good reflexes though, and I harass him a lot, so I guess I suggest hitting the bully back...hard.
    i once was playing monkey in the middle with an empty plastic soda bottle and a pitbull, i decided to give it a slight wing on the arse with the soda bottle and the pitbull promptly turned around and bit my calf.
    Two eyes for an eye leaves the one eyed man in charge.
    and an eye for an eye will leave the one eyed man blind.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    i have a student that's been with me since he was 7...he's now 10...very small kid...he's the one i have on my youtube page doing some forms and some sparring.

he's compact, but very small for his age...his parents are both very small, mom is about 5' and dad is about 5'3" or so.

very good kinesthetic awareness, can replicate almost everything I show him the first time within like 80% accuracy.

but, he's a sweet kid...and a pacifist by nature as well as nurture due to his parents ideology...

and he get's picked on...by both boys and girls...

his mom came to me about it and wanted me to teach him how to fight back.

I made sure she realized that in schools, it doesn't matter who starts it...everyone involved generally gets punished the same.

she didn't care...she wanted him to fight back.

so, i talked to him some...he won't...doesn't want to...fight back...though he can do very well in sparring...he does better against the adults than against the 12 year old girl that's also in class...

people are, well, people...it's been interesting to watch him develop as a person over the last three years and hopefully he will stick with it for a while

and my hope is, to learn that it is ok to fight back sometimes.

but, if he doesn't...if he always wants to turn the other cheek...well, that's ok too...no my ideology but I can't fault him if it's his.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

What I think is funny that everyone on this thread were either bullied themselves or their children have been bullied. Nobody's kid ever starts anything....they were always protecting themselves.

In at least half of these cases the kid has the parents wrapped around their little finger.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    and you're just making yourself sound like an ass.

while there are certainly kids that start crap and then try to pass the blame, there are plenty of purely innocent kids that are getting picked on by the growing number of *******s getting their start at younger and younger ages.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"