Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you teach your kids to fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    while there are certainly kids that start crap and then try to pass the blame,
    true, these children usually are the ones that grow up to either be on the high school football and wrestling teams.
    there are plenty of purely innocent kids that are getting picked on by the growing number of *******s getting their start at younger and younger ages.
    i agree... my daughter is a hyper-active golden dragon, a bruising tomboy of a girl, jumps on all the boys in school, yet she has a soft spot when all the "popular" girls pick on her and tease her because of her name... i believe the mentality is instigated on children and teenager geared television shows, because if you notice, in each one there is always the picked on nerdy groups and the upscale snobby groups. i believe children are high influenced by the television, this is the reason so many kids act like a walking staurday morning cartoon. i was one of the ones picked on alright... a hearing aide, glasses, from a poor family growing up, red hair, asthma, and skinny... i had no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    and you're just making yourself sound like an ass.

while there are certainly kids that start crap and then try to pass the blame, there are plenty of purely innocent kids that are getting picked on by the growing number of *******s getting their start at younger and younger ages.
    Thank you...saved me some typing.
    BQ

My dad told me at a young age that if I got my a$$ whipped at school, I would get it whipped again when I got home.....I was a lot more scared of him than anyone at school.....so I lied

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    My stepdaughters were half Asian, and took alot of flak when they moved down here from Syracuse, and entered the new school. Hard enough being the new kids, harder still being ethnic, harder still being cute and getting the attention of the boys. Wasn't long before they were gettin picked on by the local cliques.

They stood up for themselves, and when they took care of business, we beat the school principle to the punch. We came storming in, and demanded to know why our girls were getting picked on, and why their school could do nothing about it. I also told them that if they couldn't protect our daughters, then they better protect their bullies, because I trained them to protect themselves, and I could give a rat's a** about their "zero tolerance policy," and I have a zero tolerance policy of my own. We then took our daughters out to IHOP and a movie.

We did this every time one of my girls had to defend themselves.
    Later on, my eldest found a better way. She pulled "A Bronx Tale" on them. She brought these three girls into an empty classroom, and locked the door.
    ("Now youse can't leave..")
    She said,"One at a time, or all at once-either way, none of you are walking out of here!" They begged and pleaded,and cried, and she let them go. Problem solved. No teachers, no suspension,
    and she still gets to go to IHOP and a movie.

(my kids are much tougher than me)
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I've worked with kids in the past. The bullies are usually the first ones saying "I was being picked on", "He started it" "Can't you take a joke"

And, from my experience, if the bullies parents get involved you usually get "Little Johnny is a good kid" "He was being picked on" "The teacher is playing favorites" or "What's the big deal" from at least half of them. These parents are also the worst when it comes to shouting, threats and name calling to the professionals there to handle the situation. Then from about half of what's left you get various comments which all adds up to "I don't care".

Most good counselors that I know usually size up parents within a couple of minutes after they meet. Very few even admit their kid is a bully and fewer than that agree to do something about it.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    True in many cases. I've seen more than my share of bullies and spoiled parents.
    I have also made **** sure that my girls were never the ones to start trouble. They have never started trouble, always showed compassion, and would befriend the kids who were singled out, and picked on, rather than trying to be in the "in crowd." They had a sense of fairness and justice. They felt for kids that were picked on, or singled out because they weren't pretty enough, or athletic enough, or whatever enough.

Maybe that comes from their past experience of being the ones who were bullied, or the fact that as older students in the Mo-Kwoon, they helped all the beginners-many who were from their own schools, who were picked on as well, so they learned that people are people, and no matter what social cliques they ran with, on the inside we are all the same. Perhaps that it was the experience they recieved tutoring other students in the after school programs.

My guess is they had me for a Dad...
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

being the new kid on a pretty regular basis, i learned pretty quickly that the new kid is always an open target. someone is always looking to have a good laugh, or boost their ego at the new kids expense.

as a very young kid i just got picked on, until my dad taught how to stand up for myself, and instilled in me the the mindset of why we do this.

after the first couple times in new schools i also learned most bullies are just insecure wimps. as i would start in new schools i would just wait for it. i could usually tell who the arses would be. after you stand up for yourself and bloody them, or throw a desk at them, they generally are going to leave you alone. sometimes they become your friend.

personally im glad i learned to stand up for myself.

imo if someone is being bullied, its very unhealthy to just keep that inside.

thats where these mass school shootings come from sometimes. years of repressed emotions. you cant just bottle up anger and fear forever, it eventually explodes.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Yes I did teach my kids to fight....see attached of my oldest son....no bully.....but never took any sh!t.....great morals....very proud of him.
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by Baqualin View Post
    Yes I did teach my kids to fight....see attached of my oldest son....no bully.....but never took any sh!t.....great morals....very proud of him.
    BQ
    Airborne.
    Nice.
    Congrats.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Airborne.
    Nice.
    Congrats.
    Thanks SJ!!! Means a lot coming from you....he worked with a couple of snipes in Afghanistan ......really liked em and got to be good buddies with them......they covered his a$$ while the unit was repairing bridges.
    BQ

good work TenTigers - good work everyone.

One of my students ( 10 years old) protected himself from the " tuff kid" , he knocked the bully on his butt and only in self-defense. My student told me about it seeking my opinion. I asked him how many friends the bully had, he had one. I advised my student to " watch his back" as these guys will probably hit ya from behind when your not looking.

Sure enough that's what happened but my student saw the punch coming in ( from a side angel) and whipped this idot again while the bullie's pal stood looking and schocked. I did what you did TenTigers, I hit the priciples office first thing and made our case, the principle told me the rule in school is you can't fight back, you have to tell your teacher and the principle and they will make a decision.

Ever heard of self-defense ? What are you suposed to do wake up dead ? Or wake up face all broken in, damged, or up unable to move ? How about wake up in the Hospital. That was my response . They transferred the bully to a different school.
    Last edited by SIFU RON; 02-20-2009 at 04:15 PM.
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    true, these children usually are the ones that grow up to either be on the high school football and wrestling teams.

i'm afraid i have to take umbrage at that: i was on the wrestling team and in general, the only *******s were the guys that were also football players.
    it became a great pleasure to me to watch whenever each season started and the few football players who had not wrestled tried out for wrestling...probably 3 out of 4 that tried the first practice never came back...big, yes...strong, yes...but, like i used to tell the girls in school: if you want a guy that can go longer than 10-15 seconds straight, date a wrestler.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Man I used to get picked on in middle school.

A lot of repressed anger and hate.

Didn't know how to fight. Small, weak, etc. Racism abound as well.

Then I learned CLF and then I got addicted to fighting.

Now my friends say I am addicted to violence.

I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, LOL.

But if someone wants to start **** now, I put a chop choy to their solar plexus.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    why you want to hit them with chinese food????

better to eat it and get strong!

then fight back!

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    But if someone wants to start **** now, I put a chop choy to their solar plexus.
    i'm the kinda guy that lets them strike first.