Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grip Fight

Blog Entries

Grip Fight

If you see this clip from 0.14 to 0.38, you can see that both of them spent a lot of effort trying not to allow the other to get any grips.

http://johnswang.com/sc3.wmv

Why this kind of "grip fight" is not emphasized in Judo?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    it is totally emphasized in judo and traditional gi jujitsu.

why do you think it is not?

the 'grip' shiat and the gi chokey **** is why I will shoot a judo guy in a heartbeat...as long as the ref doesn't notice the gun, of course.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I dunno. Why aren't these guys doing it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSvV7LsZIQ0
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    it is totally emphasized in judo and traditional gi jujitsu.

why do you think it is not?

the 'grip' shiat and the gi chokey **** is why I will shoot a judo guy in a heartbeat...as long as the ref doesn't notice the gun, of course.
    Because some Judo guy said, "Grip-fighting is not judo" and I don't understand that's one Judo guy's view point or general Judo guy's view point.

IMO, if you don't let your opponent to get grips on you then it will be hard for him to throw you. It's to your advantage and that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
    I dunno. Why aren't these guys doing it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSvV7LsZIQ0
    I agree that they didn't fight as hard as they should.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-19-2009 at 10:26 PM.

i dunno about that judo guy either...granted my experience is limited to one, rather small, club and one reasonably large tournament at UT, but there were two guys wearing black belts at the club that qualified for 'geezer' status...and there was a fair amouint of emphasis on getting the grip :shrug: so, i dunno.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If you see this clip from 0.14 to 0.38, you can see that both of them spent a lot of effort trying not to allow the other to get any grips.

http://johnswang.com/sc3.wmv

Why this kind of "grip fight" is not emphasized in Judo?
    because that's a totally bogus clip. What are they trying to accomplish? The feared "titty-twister"?

Come on, you tube for a clip of a decent judo shia if you want to see why the grip is used.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Indeed, street fighting is not a sport.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    i dunno about that judo guy either...granted my experience is limited to one, rather small, club and one reasonably large tournament at UT, but there were two guys wearing black belts at the club that qualified for 'geezer' status...and there was a fair amouint of emphasis on getting the grip :shrug: so, i dunno.
    I don't think that second clip is judo either. They aren't even wearing judogis, and they aren't doing much in the way of randori either.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Indeed, street fighting is not a sport.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

neither were judo..they were shuai jiao

Grip work is crucial in Judo and all gi-oriented sport systems like BJJ and Sambo.
    Its just not overly-emphisied over anythign else.
    Your grip needs to be good enough for you you need it to be, ie: control.
    It needs to be strong enough to hold on while doing the throws and grappling, sure the stronger the grip that better, IF you maintain a certain flexibility with it and its not "stiff".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Judo is Gripfighting

Seriously,

any Judoka that's even contemplating competition has to become a master gripfighter. It's a science in Judo- it's part of what's called Koka-Jitzu (using rules to win).

this is the master text and it should be a part of every Judokas library-
    http://www.amazon.com/Grips-Judo-Mas.../dp/095184556X

Here's the new guru:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl5l-YELUls
    don't be too sold though- good coaches know these techniques.

There are entire books, dvds and courses dedicated to grip fighting. A corollary in wrestling and no-gi is hand fighting and clinch fighting. Working and defending underhooks, wrist/hand control, neck control, arm drags and a whole host of other things.

Grip fighting is vital to Judo, Wrestling and BJJ. It's a must. My throws, I consider barely average. My grip-fighting is well above average, and it gives people fits.

All the people I have known who are good at any of the above sports are excellent grip-fighters
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Wang, get out of your shuai chiao shell and start playing with experienced grapplers from other styles. You might just learn something. I'm serious, making assumptions without validating them is sloppy.
    Originally Posted by Knifefighter
    Really? That's real Kung Fu?
    If so, I take back every negative thing I ever said.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Specialed you do have a point there.

Quote Originally Posted by specialed View Post
    Wang, get out of your shuai chiao shell and start playing with experienced grapplers from other styles. You might just learn something. I'm serious, making assumptions without validating them is sloppy.
    I think John is just trying to stimulate some decent conversation here. Give him some room to maneuver.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.