Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Vampire flicks:

I completely agree with you, Jimbo.

Not off topic, at all. What we agree to is too often a missing element in the current wave of vampire flicks. Oftentimes, Hollywood tries to bring the majestic look theatre and completely overlook the real acting skills necessary to pull it off.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    I completely agree with you, Jimbo.

Not off topic, at all. What we agree to is too often a missing element in the current wave of vampire flicks. Oftentimes, Hollywood tries to bring the majestic look theatre and completely overlook the real acting skills necessary to pull it off.

mickey
    Yeah, IMO, these new vampire films (and most newer horror movies and TV shows in general) completely sacrifice mood, atmospherics, etc., for a bigger, louder spectacle. Overused CGI, action, etc., to create more of a superhero sub-genre. Not everyone has the 'it factor' to pull off playing a character like Dracula, or any arch-vampire, for that matter. It's clear the studios are trying instead for the 'hunk factor' to draw in the teen/tween girl audience, as in Twilight.

I'm wondering how director James Wan (Insidious, The Conjuring) would handle a vampire movie. I never liked Saw, but he brings mood and atmosphere back in his supernatural horror films.

Hi Jimbo,

I dod not see either movie. I watched the trailer to insidious. The director does have something. Additionally, the vampire movies need a fresh angle. There are too many variations on the same theme.

mickey

A Very Different Vampire Movie......

Greetings,

The movie is "Blood and Donuts", a diferent vampire movie that still holds up. It is completely atypical to the vampire genre and that is why I like it.

Here is the full movie in 9 sections:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTG79...ECBBB296DF6F7A

Enjoy!

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Additionally, the vampire movies need a fresh angle. There are too many variations on the same theme.

mickey
    Unfortunately, the Blood and Donuts vid won't play on my 'mobile device' (ipad).

I liked the attempt made in John Carpenter's Vampires. To me, vampires should be 'monsters', not teen idols. An arch-vampire can display charm and personal magnetism, but at his core he's a living corpse and a parasite. There are only so many different angles to approach the subject. For me, it's all about execution.

The popular horror themes nowadays have either 'jumped the shark' or are about to...vampires, zombie apocalypses, demonic hauntings, etc.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 10-14-2014 at 11:24 AM.

Greetings Jimbo,

I see that you took an axe to your last post.

The attraction that werewolf movies have is that the werewolves are often portrayed as tragic victims, beginning with Lon Chaney's "The Wolfman". The Howling stepped away from that until the part where the reporter transformed on tv. "An American Werewolf in London" and "Van Helsing" also followed the tragic formula.

Those that did not follow that formula were quite memorable. "Full Eclipse" was one (starred Mario Van Peebles and Bruce Payne). Another would be the character brought forth by the late Chuck Connors in the series "Werewolf". Chuck was a real beast in that. No one has yet to top him.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 10-21-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Yeah, I didn't want to take your thread off on a werewolf tangent.

I thought the series Werewolf was excellent, and I agree about Chuck Connors being great in his role in that. I probably put his performance above Robert Picardo's as 'Eddie the werewolf' in The Howling, though Eddie's transformation is still the best.

One werewolf movie I thought would be good was the Scottish film Wild Country, but I was disappointed.

Universal's WOLF-Man remake

Has anyone seen the recent Wolfman (2010) remake starring Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins & Emily Blunt? They split the difference between the tragic figure and the unrepentant man/beast.

Greetings Design Sifu,

I saw the remake. The feel of the movie reminded me of "Interview With a Vampire," With Benecio Del Toro playing the Brad Pitt part. It was alright. And I agree that they did split the difference.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Unfortunately, the Blood and Donuts vid won't play on my 'mobile device' (ipad).

I liked the attempt made in John Carpenter's Vampires. To me, vampires should be 'monsters', not teen idols. An arch-vampire can display charm and personal magnetism, but at his core he's a living corpse and a parasite. There are only so many different angles to approach the subject. For me, it's all about execution.
    John Carpenter's Vampires has always been a guilty pleasure for me because James Woods is so badass in this movie. I'm surprised Tarantino hasn't used him the way Rodriguez used Danny Trejo yet.

Greetings Jimbo and BigChris (Welcome to the forum, by the way),

I had a hard time remembering whether I saw Vampires on not. And I did not think to use u tube to see if there was a trailer. The mention of James "Didja get wood?" Woods' name brought it back. Thomas Ian Griffith was a good vampire; I would rather see him in a resurrection of the Blade franchise. He has that kind of darkness that Quentin Tarantino imbued the protagonist with in "Desperado". If memory is correct, Thomas Ian Griffith was the first to bring Asian martial arts to the soap operas.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 10-21-2014 at 07:21 PM.

More vampire flicks...

"Blacula": This starred the late William Marshall and the late Vonetta McGee. This vampire flick was probably the first to have a tragic aspect. I think it was the first time a vampire killed himself. And it may have been the first Hollywood vampire flick to introduce a love dynamic (I don't know if Hammer films did this).

"The Breed": A very different vampire movie that starred Adrian Paul, Bokeem Woodbine and Bai Ling.

I think that a vampire in any future movie should have some sort of bravado, a la:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKFhS0cQLE8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qiu3rvYveSg

They also could do with a different kind of energy, look, and camera work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTXY_CRLwZs

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 10-22-2014 at 08:01 AM.

Greetings

The following movie, "The Addiction", does not seek to fulfill vampire fan expectations. It is a very different vampire movie that stands on its own and after nearly 20 years, it stands strongly snd continues to crash against the gates of the genre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js1a1AR41FY

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 10-22-2014 at 08:07 AM.

Design Sifu:

I did see the new Wolfman film; in fact, I think I reviewed it when it came out. It's a great werewolf film. The only thing I would have changed would be to have the wolfman actually have a wolf's head. I realize they were paying homage to the Lon Chaney Jr. original with a "hairy, fanged man" type, but still, I think I gave the movie a 10/10.

BigChris:

Come to think of it, it IS surprising that Tarentino hasn't used James Woods in anything yet (or was he in Jackie Brown?? I can't recall). He's a great actor and seems exactly the type that QT would cast in his films.

mickey:

Thomas Ian Griffith was also the villain in Karate Kid 3. In Vampires, he was a great alpha vampire.

Greetings,

The following movie is "Nadja", a movie that I have longed to see. It is another one of those different vampire movies. It drags a little. Heck, I'm lyin'. It drags a lot. Yet, there are moments of humor within the lines. Peter Fonda was strangely good in his role as a vampire hunter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lzIdEhWvT4

mickey