Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Vampire flicks:

Hey, I'll bring it back, then.
    A low-budget but chilling psychological/vampire movie is Let's Scare Jessica To Death. No, there are no CGI (it was filmed in 1971) and not even any fangs. It's the mood that makes it creepy. Even the 'vampirism' or anything supernatural is a bit in question. It's fairly realistic, though, with the main characters, hippie-types, moving into an old farm house in a rural, closed comminuty in Connecticut. They meet a young drifter hiding in the house and invite her to stay with them. If the pace is slow, that's offset if you watch it late at night, alone, with the lights out.

Found another one!!!!

Greetings,

There is a fantastic vampire flick that came out in 2008. It is called "Let the Right One In".
    It is a fantastic Swedish movie that is incredibly dark and has moments of even darker humour. All I can say is that it is WAY better than a lot of the other current neck bite movies out there and it is destined for cult status. It is a film worthy of study for any horror film buff or movie maker of said genre.

mickey

mickey:
    I have heard of Let the Right One In, but I have been waiting for the upgraded release of it. Apparently, the current release does not have the original, theatrical English subtitles, and there have been a number of fans who have complained to the company that released the DVD (is it Magnolia?). So when the current stock is sold out, they are supposed to re-release the DVD with the original theatrical English subs also included. It might not make that big a difference to the casual viewer, but according to some of the complaints, the new subs on the current disc do not match, or are noticeably different from, the theatrical subs. Enough for some people to claim that some meanings are altered.
    IDK, but I'll wait just in case.

Hi Jimbo,

I have the Magnolia release. They have two types of English subtitles. One is regular and the other is narrative. I kept it simple for myself and watched the dubbed version.

mickey

Got the newly-released version of Let the Right One in (LTROI) with the corrected theatrical subtitles. This release in indistinguishable from the previous DVD release, except that on the back cover, under subtitle options it says, "English (theatrical), Spanish". I waited for this version due to comments from fans of the movie who complained about the original DVD release not using the original subtitles. And on foreign movies I prefer the subtitle option, as hearing the original language dialogue gives a far better feel for the characters than an English dub.

First off, anyone expecting an action-packed spectacle like the movies Underworld, 30 Days of Night, or John Carpenter's Vampires may well be disappointed. LTROI is a quiet, thoughtful film that is about as far from current mainstream Hollywood vampire fare as one can get. It deals with a lonely 12 year old boy who meets the new "young" next-door neighbor, who also happens to be a vampire. LTROI is easily one of the two most believable vampire movies I can recall; the other being 1971's much spookier Let's Scare Jessica to Death. The strength of LTROI is not really any scariness, but rather because it's a superb character study.

4.5 or 5 out of 5.

Hi Jimbo,

I am glad you liked it. The movie has a magical quality to it because if you view it a second time you will see other social dynamics that are not that easy to see at first viewing. Especially the true nature of the vampire. She could have inspired Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching.

mickey

Imortal

Apparently this is a Philippine TV "fantaserye" which may be a misspelling like Imortal, but then again, may be the way they spell things in the Philippines - I don't know...

It's got wushu. What more do you want from a post on this thread?

Wushu expert behind Imortal
    FUNFARE By Ricardo F. Lo The Philippine Star Updated April 06, 2011 12:00 AM 0 comment to this post
    John Lloyd Cruz and Angel Locsin, stars of the ABS-CBN fantaserye Imortal

Because Imortal, the ABS-CBN fantaserye starring John Lloyd Cruz and Angel Locsin, revolves around the lives of vampires, the first thing I asked Lester Pimentel, the wushu expert who choreographs the action/fight scenes (some of which done mid-air), is if he’s a big fan of the Twilight series.

“I watched the Twilight series but I’m not really a big fan,” corrected Lester who is, despite his Filipino surname, pure Chinese. “More than the love story, what I like is the way the fight scenes are executed.”

Co-directed by Jerry Sineneng and Richard Somes, Imortal is drawing to a close end of this month, that’s why the suspense is mounting and the action scenes are getting more breathtaking.

“Are John Lloyd and Angel hard to teach action routines?” Lester repeated the question. “Not really. They are fast learners.”

Coaching actors is not new to Lester who has worked on other ABS-CBN shows including Panday (with Jericho Rosales), Palos (with Jake Cuenca) and Lastikman (with Vhong Navarro).

To Imortal followers, it must be a source of wonder how John Lloyd and Angel, and their co-stars Maricar Reyes, Jake Roxas, et al), cross swords several feet above ground and leap toward one another, eyes burning with rage and blood-dripping fangs showing. But to Lester, it’s, well, pie of cake, part of the day’s hard grind. Martial arts has become a way of life with him.

Lester trained in wushu for six years in Beijing, in the same school where the likes of Jet Li were also taught the intricacies of the art. It was also there where Lester began working professionally, and every now and then he goes there for new projects. No language barrier there, because Lester speaks fluent Fookien and Mandarin. His mom is from Naga City. It was his father, a martial arts enthusiast, who got Lester interested in wushu starting during his childhood in Binondo, Manila.

“It was the Philippine Sport Commission (PSC) that sent me to train in China, together with the rest of the National Wushu Team, all 12 of us,” volunteered Lester who holds a degree in Philosophy from La Salle. “Some of those who trained with us went on to become actors, stuntmen and action directors.”

But before that, Lester, 36, was an athlete in the ‘90s and has competed in local and international competitions (the SEA Games among them), harvesting gold along the way. He has retired from competitive sport in 2000 and ventured into showbiz, with the Victor Neri first-starrer movie Ex-Con as his kick-off project. A gap of five years was closed by the advent of action-adventure TV series (Panday, etc.).

And then came Imortal, Lester’s biggest project so far.

“Before the shoot,” said Lester, “I did a workshop with the actors. I have to be on the set to choreograph their moves and direct them in the action sequences.”

Away from the set, Lester keeps himself busy by helping schools create training programs for kids, and train the trainers.

“Action directing is also my way of contributing Chinese culture to the mainstream Philippine showbiz,” added Lester.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Recently watched The Revenant. Pretty cool, unique vampire movie. I'd recommend it if you get the chance.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Thirst

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    But onwards to new Vampire flicks, check out the trailer for Thirst. It's from Park Chan-wook, director of Old Boy et.al.
    I finally saw Thirst and I really enjoyed it, which is saying a lot because I'm so over vampire flicks and there are no sword fights or Bollywood numbers. It's gloriously Park Chan-Wook. He has such an eye for dysfunctional relationships and jarring architecture. The way that the vampire contracts vampirism was a little odd as he takes on all the classic traits, but once that gets established, Thirst goes to all sorts of wickedly devilish places. It's not as brain searing as the Vengeance Tril-o-gy, but definitely worth the view if you like Park.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Meanwhile in Transylvania

Is anyone planning to catch DRACULA UNTOLD?

We watched it and pretty much told you all about it here: Dracula Untold: Told by Patrick Lugo

Greetings Design Sifu,

The special effects are really not above that which can be offered on a cable TV show. So what is the incentive to spend a chunk of change to see something like that when it will eventually end up on cable in short order? Hollywood is so hungry to get a return in their investment that they fail to realize they can make more dollars by not rushing their product to cable and dvd. People who would rather wait a couple of months for cable dvd release would probably go to the movies if they knew they had to wait a year to see it at home, instead.

mickey

Greetings,

The "Night Stalker" movie from the ABC Movie of the Week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcd-U70SYgI

Enjoy,

mickey

Hi, mickey.

The Night Stalker (and its sequel, The Night Strangler) were among my favorite horror movies back in the day. IMO, they still hold up today. I also liked the short-lived TV series, but felt after awhile it 'jumped the shark'.

As far as Dracula goes, IMO, the best portrayal of the character onscreen was Gary Oldman in Bram Stoker's Dracula. Followed by Christopher Lee in the Hammer films.

Hi Jimbo,

I do like your choices.

I especially enjoyed the part where Gary Oldman quickly slobbered over the knife. It still makes me laugh.

Christopher Lee brought strong elements of theatre to the film, making his portrayal wonderfully unique and charismatic.

Another vampire portrayal worth mentioning is work of the late Jonathan Frid as Barnabas Collins in the "horror soap opera", Dark Shadows. As with Christopher Lee, Frid also brought forth strong elements of theatre. Heck, soap opera IS theatre.

mickey

Yes, I agree that Christopher Lee and Jonathan Frid brought strong theatrical elements to their roles. Lee's frequent co-star and onscreen antagonist, the late Peter Cushing (one of my favorite actors) also brought that to the screen.

In fact, most of the good to really great film and TV actors have a theatre background to some degree or other, despite some people claiming that stage acting and screen acting are incompatible. Theatrical acting allows them to really project themselves; then it's only a matter of toning it down for the camera. But the energy is still there. It's much better to have to 'tone it down' than to have to 'bring your energy up'.

Oops, went a bit OT.