Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think Inside Kung-Fu Sucks.

I think Inside Kung-Fu Sucks.

A cover story of a videogame? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    A cover story of a videogame? Seriously?
    It seems that our art of kung fu is in worse shape than we thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    It seems that our art of kung fu is in worse shape than we thought.

No,its just the forum...

Don't bite the hand that's feeds you...
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF View Post
    Don't bite the hand that's feeds you...
    It is a different publication. This one doesn't start with "Inside".
    Figure Eight

Cheers AdrianK.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

I have to agree that Inside Kung Fu has pretty much gone down hill in the last couple of years. When i first started training I thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread, but now its lucky to have more than one article in it that sounds remotely interesting. What's worse, Kung Fu Tai Chi is bi-monthly so I don't get my kung fu magazine fix for a while sometimes. Forget Black Belt magazine, that's become a MMA magazine for the most part these days. Though I have to admit, when it puts 'MMA Special' on two or three issues in a row its kind of funny

That was not the best issue in the world, but there is a fan base of the video games that are martial artists. Like most publications, they give portions of their clientele what they want. To expand their audience, they have expanded their subject areas. That article did not interest me in the least, but I find Inside Kung Fu's interviews interesting. Like most MA publications, it is very hit and miss, but overall I believe it is still good. Black Belt has been in the dumps for years now as far as well written material goes.

Being a writer, I know some mags sell only to 6th grade reading levels. They think the average martial artist is a 6th grade dropout meathead and really can't read.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Being a writer, I know some mags sell only to 6th grade reading levels. They think the average martial artist is a 6th grade dropout meathead and really can't read.
    Well, while that seems a tad harsh, I think there is probably some truth to that.
    I think that "dilusional" and "looking for fantasy rather than reality" also enters into it.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Well, while that seems a tad harsh, I think there is probably some truth to that.
    I think that "dilusional" and "looking for fantasy rather than reality" also enters into it.
    Dude,

When I get an article back because it has "too many oriental" terms and that the writing should be geared for 12 year olds, I am shocked!

Dude,

When I get an article back because it has "too many oriental" terms and that the writing should be geared for 12 year olds, I am shocked!
    Yet...understandable.
    Indeed, who are you writing for?
    I mean, I assume that "The journal of Asian MA", for example, is more better suited for "high brow MA" than Inside Kung fu or Black Belt or whatever, no?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Dude,

Funny how that magazine has changed. I used to read Doc Fai-Wong's articles and columns specifically for his use of Cantonese terminology.

Years ago, IKF was THE magazine.
    Remember,"Way of the Monk?", Comparitive Styles, they used to show alot of techniques form some unusual styles, as well as complete forms.-and who can forget the White Crane vs Wing Chun article?
    I still have those back issues.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Funny how that magazine has changed. I used to read Doc Fai-Wong's articles and columns specifically for his use of Cantonese terminology.

Years ago, IKF was THE magazine.
    Remember,"Way of the Monk?", Comparitive Styles, they used to show alot of techniques form some unusual styles, as well as complete forms.-and who can forget the White Crane vs Wing Chun article?
    I still have those back issues.
    If I remember correctly, my first IKM was in '79 or '80.

Its not who I wrote for, its who rejected my articles...I never published anything myself in the major magaizine and it is not IKF.

If you really must know, PM me.