Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kung-Fu Schools & Ground fighting

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Kung-Fu Schools & Ground fighting

Does your Kung-Fu school incorporate ground fighting? If so, how? Is it a separate (BJJ) class/program? Or is it integrated into the curriculum? Does the head teacher teach it, or is there a separate instructor who specializes in it teaching? If the latter, is the head teacher training in it?

If it is being integrated into the curriculum, does the teacher go straight into submissions (say after a takedown/throw), or does the teacher start from the ground basics and teach progressively how to roll?

I'm just curious to know how Kung-Fu schools are adapting to this. I've seen a Shaolin-Do school contract a BJJ school's instructor to have a program in the school.
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

I'm my mantis class our instructor became a PITT affiliate, having gone to the PITT to get training and periodically return for more. So our ground was MMA based. Our head instructor taught us, and usually when learning ground work we started on the ground. When we did sparring we would blend the takedown with the ground fighting. It was a separate class from the kung fu, but still blended the two.

It is my understanding that most schools hire a BJJ guy to teach a separate Class. But that is more likely to lead to personality conflicts especially if they have no respect for what you teach.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Blog Entries
    Interesting. What is PITT? Why was it separate from the Kung-Fu class? Was it something more for the senior/harder-core students?

I could see the potential problem with personality conflicts...unless they are well paid lol.

Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

yo man check this out check this out
    what if you steal ground fighting from ju jitsu, and call it kung fu something like ground dragon or fire snake or somthing
    its brilliant omg

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    yo man check this out check this out
    what if you steal ground fighting from ju jitsu, and call it kung fu
    its such a brilliant idea omg
    Or just incorporate it into the curriculum. Kung-Fu means skill through time and effort. Nuttin wrong with having good Kung-Fu in the ground game.

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

thats exactly what i mean yuteesam! incorporate bjj into the curriculum and learn from top bjj people!

except in 10 years not call it ju jit su but crouching panther tanglang taiji shaolin emei wudang quan traditional chinese ground kung fu!!! bjj ? gracie who? no we had this for thousands of years OMG YES LOLOL

that would be such a sweet payback to the japanese after those *******s stole our whitre crane and call it karate surprised face!

hell lets steal muay thai too and call it sanda! bwehehehee
    Last edited by bawang; 02-23-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Sorry I don't know why I put Two T's. PIT training as in THE PIT , it is a famous MMA school where chuck lidell trains.

Separate because you can't cover everything in one class, and because not everyone was interested, and so on. Not everyone who did it was hardcore, but everyone was at least an intermediate student.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by yutyeesam View Post
    Does your Kung-Fu school incorporate ground fighting? If so, how? Is it a separate (BJJ) class/program? Or is it integrated into the curriculum? Does the head teacher teach it, or is there a separate instructor who specializes in it teaching? If the latter, is the head teacher training in it?

If it is being integrated into the curriculum, does the teacher go straight into submissions (say after a takedown/throw), or does the teacher start from the ground basics and teach progressively how to roll?

I'm just curious to know how Kung-Fu schools are adapting to this. I've seen a Shaolin-Do school contract a BJJ school's instructor to have a program in the school.
    We practice ground fighting in our style that is traditional and has no connection to BJJ or MMA.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    We practice ground fighting in our style that is traditional and has no connection to BJJ or MMA.
    What is an example guard pass you use?

What is an example of a half-guard pass you use?

How do you escape from a knee-on-belly mount?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

We have not done ground fighting yet...but I would like to learn some.

Can anyone post any examples (either video, or other sources) of ground fighting that you use in school?

Thanks

In the world we live in today, to NOT take advantage of specialized systems of H2H combat is just silly.
    Very few systems deal with ground work as well as BJJ, you just have to find a teacher that deals with the WHOLE aspect of ground work and not just the grappling aspect, including weapons and ground work.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    In the world we live in today, to NOT take advantage of specialized systems of H2H combat is just silly.
    Very few systems deal with ground work as well as BJJ, you just have to find a teacher that deals with the WHOLE aspect of ground work and not just the grappling aspect, including weapons and ground work.
    Well said.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    What is an example guard pass you use?

What is an example of a half-guard pass you use?

How do you escape from a knee-on-belly mount?
    Well we don't subscribe to the terminology you are using nor or we sport oriented.
    In a supine mounted position we use seizing and grappling techniques similar to stand up with emphasis on dominating the wrist, elbow, shoulder, neck and torso control points (controlling three knots), using the shoulders and hips as the root base. Forgive me if my words do not paint the clearest of pictures for you.

As far as "knee on belly mount" I have yet to end up in that position but it sounds interesting.

Working against the shoot I've had great success redirecting the hands and arms (when the attacker uses his weight ballistically intending to hobble or uproot), setting root and using stance transition to root to turn the shoulder and neck using the impetus forces against would-be shooter. Traditional stance work training has paid off in spades as has mobility in stance-transition-stance during pre and post engagement.

In recent experience big thick guys have mostly tried the glory shot punch in the mouth, smaller thick guys almost always try for a shoot. I expect everything and nothing keeping ready for all things. This play usually jumps off when I am intervening in protection of a principle or secondary client or during egress whilst disengaging from a trouble source.

Since this ground fighting craze erupted I've become quite fond of following my target to the ground with specialized finishing technique seeking an emphasis on incapacitation, immobilization via treading, shooting arrow or purposeful falling with foot, knees and hips directed to tender and vital points followed by arresting (seizing) techniques. Most recent encounters have been multiple assailant and I hate getting my designer suits dirty or torn so I'm big on efficiency.

Also I don't play fair. MK 8 pepper spray, green laser, super bright LED Flashlights with weighted handles, body armor with trauma plates and gloves with carbon fiber knuckles have given my team and I the edge. Keep in mind I'm working lots of EP details these days.

I got a chance to play friendly with some of the Machado Brothers years ago and I respect their BJJ. Truthfully I'd rather wrassle a full grown anaconda than one of them bros. Unfortunately my recent experiences with these types of fighters and others were not friendly matches but instead on the job. Most of these opponents displayed a divergence between what it was they wanted to happen as opposed to what was really going on.

If i attribute my work group's success to any one component I'd say just it's remaining in the moment mentally.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Interesting. Would you say that all the other schools that practice your style, which from your sig is Northern Shaolim (did you mean ShaoliN with an "N"?) all know how to do this, and it is standardized?

In other words, I could go to 10 Northern Shaolim (?) schools around the country and all the teachers would know and be adept in this form of groundfighting?

I only ask because it seems that if only one school of a style does it, that usually indicates that it is either not in the standard curriculum or the teacher is taking things from the outside and incorporating it. Nothing wrong with that at all - but I'm a bit skeptical when people say the CMA's have groundfighting strategies that are similar to BJJ...so, I'm just cross referencing.

it almost leads to what bawang was saying earlier:

"except in 10 years not call it ju jit su but crouching panther tanglang taiji shaolin emei wudang quan traditional chinese ground kung fu!!! bjj ? gracie who? no we had this for thousands of years OMG YES LOLO"

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Quote Originally Posted by yutyeesam View Post
    I only ask because it seems that if only one school of a style does it, that usually indicates that it is either not in the standard curriculum or the teacher is taking things from the outside and incorporating it. Nothing wrong with that at all - but I'm a bit skeptical when people say the CMA's have groundfighting strategies that are similar to BJJ...so, I'm just cross referencing."

History just does not support the idea of ANY CMA having a detailed ground curriculum. CMA techniques almost always address situations in which the attacker is standing over a downed opponent.

While you can argue CMA techniques CAN be applied on the ground, the fact is, until recently, no one cared to do so extensively.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.