Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung-Fu Schools & Ground fighting

Blog Entries

Kung-Fu Schools & Ground fighting

Does your Kung-Fu school incorporate ground fighting? If so, how? Is it a separate (BJJ) class/program? Or is it integrated into the curriculum? Does the head teacher teach it, or is there a separate instructor who specializes in it teaching? If the latter, is the head teacher training in it?

If it is being integrated into the curriculum, does the teacher go straight into submissions (say after a takedown/throw), or does the teacher start from the ground basics and teach progressively how to roll?

I'm just curious to know how Kung-Fu schools are adapting to this. I've seen a Shaolin-Do school contract a BJJ school's instructor to have a program in the school.
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

I'm my mantis class our instructor became a PITT affiliate, having gone to the PITT to get training and periodically return for more. So our ground was MMA based. Our head instructor taught us, and usually when learning ground work we started on the ground. When we did sparring we would blend the takedown with the ground fighting. It was a separate class from the kung fu, but still blended the two.

It is my understanding that most schools hire a BJJ guy to teach a separate Class. But that is more likely to lead to personality conflicts especially if they have no respect for what you teach.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Blog Entries
    Interesting. What is PITT? Why was it separate from the Kung-Fu class? Was it something more for the senior/harder-core students?

I could see the potential problem with personality conflicts...unless they are well paid lol.

Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

yo man check this out check this out
    what if you steal ground fighting from ju jitsu, and call it kung fu something like ground dragon or fire snake or somthing
    its brilliant omg

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    yo man check this out check this out
    what if you steal ground fighting from ju jitsu, and call it kung fu
    its such a brilliant idea omg
    Or just incorporate it into the curriculum. Kung-Fu means skill through time and effort. Nuttin wrong with having good Kung-Fu in the ground game.

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Sorry I don't know why I put Two T's. PIT training as in THE PIT , it is a famous MMA school where chuck lidell trains.

Separate because you can't cover everything in one class, and because not everyone was interested, and so on. Not everyone who did it was hardcore, but everyone was at least an intermediate student.
    - 三和拳

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

thats exactly what i mean yuteesam! incorporate bjj into the curriculum and learn from top bjj people!

except in 10 years not call it ju jit su but crouching panther tanglang taiji shaolin emei wudang quan traditional chinese ground kung fu!!! bjj ? gracie who? no we had this for thousands of years OMG YES LOLOL

that would be such a sweet payback to the japanese after those *******s stole our whitre crane and call it karate surprised face!

hell lets steal muay thai too and call it sanda! bwehehehee
    Last edited by bawang; 02-23-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    thats exactly what i mean yuteesam! incorporate bjj into the curriculum and learn from top bjj people!

except in 10 years not call it ju jit su but crouching panther tanglang taiji shaolin emei wudang quan traditional chinese ground kung fu!!! bjj ? gracie who? no we had this for thousands of years OMG YES LOLOL

that would be such a sweet payback to the japanese after those *******s stole our whitre crane and call it karate surprised face!

hell lets steal muay thai too and call it sanda! bwehehehee
    LOL! Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnn!

And take the stick fighting from Kali/Escrima and call it Siu Chut Gwun? lol

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Blog Entries
    No one has mentioned this, but a boxing gym may not have ground fighting classes. A kickboxing studio may not have ground fighting classes. So why should Kung-Fu?

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

I believe that most systems have techniques when fighting from a fallen position. Most fights usually end up on the ground, so it would be foolish to not have knowledge of what to do when this happens. While some systems spend almost all of thier time in these positions to say that kung fu does not is way off base.
    when the UFC came about and starting becoming popluar my kung fu brother who was a born fighter asked our teacher to train him so he could enter. He said if you want to enter that type of competition you must train mantis on the ground.... we looked at each other and said but kung fu doesnt have ground techniques.. he said all complete systems have this otherwise they are not complete.
    We would train to engage in sparring then to a jointlock then to a throw, then follow our opponent to the ground and proceed to use another lock untill one of us tapped. thios went on for months. sometimes we would start on the ground and work from the top or the bottom. while some of the techniques taught were definatly not kung fu looking my teacher said that to win that type of fighting you must fight and train the waty they do.
    He went on to win his bouts in UFC 6 &7 seven being the bloodiest UFC match in history
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by yutyeesam View Post
    No one has mentioned this, but a boxing gym may not have ground fighting classes. A kickboxing studio may not have ground fighting classes. So why should Kung-Fu?
    boxing gyms do boxing. kickboxing gym do kicking and boxing.
    maybe flower kung fu gyms do performance. but traditional kung fu is to shaaaaaaaaa kil another mannn!
    Last edited by bawang; 02-23-2009 at 08:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    while some of the techniques taught were definatly not kung fu looking my teacher said that to win that type of fighting you must fight and train the waty they do.
    He went on to win his bouts in UFC 6 &7 seven being the bloodiest UFC match in history
    Cool. Would you say your school is the norm of your system, or the exception?

The ground stuff that I've only been exposed to in CMA are sweeps, takedowns, kicks from the ground, and kneeling submissions after a throw. Never saw a curriculum that specifically had mount, guard, side control, half guard, rubber guard, rear mount, grapevine mount, etc etc. and transitioning through those positions, eventually into subs.

Is the groundfighting you all do standard stuff in the traditional curric that everyone is required to do? Since you mentioned Mantis, it makes me wonder then, why at SanHeChuan's school the instructors had to get PIT training?

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Blog Entries
    boxing gyms do boxing. kickboxing gym do kicking and boxing.
    maybe flower kung fu gyms do performance. but traditional kung fu is to fight. more than fight. kil. rob. rape. war!
    aw mang! i liked your shaaaaaaaaaa to kil man line better! lol

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

The ground stuff that I've only been exposed to in CMA are sweeps, takedowns, kicks from the ground, and kneeling submissions after a throw.
    I believe those are the kind of techniques he was talking about that was mantis. While the other stuff was supplemental. As far as I know kung fu doesn't have a technique involving two guys laying on top of each other, I mean come on that would just be gay.

You could learn the basics of BJJ yourself and teach those, presumably you could pick them up fast, with your background. The most you need to know as a stand up fighter is the transitions so you can work your way back to your feet. You'll also need to have enough knowledge of submissions to at least recognize when your in danger so you can escape.
    - 三和拳

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

My WC Sifu taught ground fighting alongside standup and takedown/sweep stuff. Don't know what the origin of it was; he never said it was from anywhere else so at the time I just assumed it was part of WC, and he never really taught the names of the groundfighting techniques, so no clues there either.