Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Kung-Fu Schools & Ground fighting

Quote Originally Posted by old8step View Post
    I do have to say this I don't know where the base for groundfighting in 8 step came from or where Shyun got it but he had it back before BJJ became popular in the U.S I was with him when UFC 1 came out and asked him about it and he showed me some stuff. Not as advanced as my traditinal training but he did have it ground in there.
    In light of some of the info that guys here brought up, it probably came from whatever the source for Cartmell's book came from.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    In light of some of the info that guys here brought up, it probably came from whatever the source for Cartmell's book came from.
    I'm sorry who is Cartmell?

Quote Originally Posted by Taryn P. View Post
    Or those of us who are all of the above.
    pics or it didn't happen.

If you're not a big breasted midget, then I will personally be disappointed.

Kung Fu is good for you.

I do have to say this I don't know where the base for groundfighting in 8 step came from or where Shyun got it but he had it back before BJJ became popular in the U.S I was with him when UFC 1 came out and asked him about it and he showed me some stuff. Not as advanced as my traditinal training but he did have it ground in there.
    Hello Old8,

It's interesting that you mention that. My teacher, Tony Puyot, taught me Shyun's grappling material back in 93-94. This past month, we've been reviewing the material and found it interesting that he taught the techniques as "fighting combinations" = Strike + throw + submit...but the postural orientation of the submission was still either on our feet or on a knee, rather than positional control as in BJJ.

It's nowhere near the evolved state of groundfighting today. Regardless of where he got it from, I feel it was a decent primer for the transition to learning BJJ.

M.Dasargo

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

Later. It's way too cold here at present to put on the bikini. In the meantime you'll just have to use your fertile imagination.

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dasargo View Post
    Hello Old8,

It's interesting that you mention that. My teacher, Tony Puyot, taught me Shyun's grappling material back in 93-94. This past month, we've been reviewing the material and found it interesting that he taught the techniques as "fighting combinations" = Strike + throw + submit...but the postural orientation of the submission was still either on our feet or on a knee, rather than positional control as in BJJ.

It's nowhere near the evolved state of groundfighting today. Regardless of where he got it from, I feel it was a decent primer for the transition to learning BJJ.

M.Dasargo

Very Very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

I can personally vouch for Taryn's height and uh..."endowments".
    What do you call someone who practices Dim Mak on themselves?
    Dum Fuk!

Quote Originally Posted by Chazmek View Post
    I can personally vouch for Taryn's height and uh..."endowments".
    Next time I wear the bikini to class, I will make sure to confiscate your cell phone.

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Well then:
    I have one of those
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

I'm sorry who is Cartmell?
    Think he's talking about Tim. Nice guy, good martial artist.
    Translated a bunch of cool Chinese Docs to English.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Blog Entries
    This is a good question. I think that its becoming increasingly apparent that ground fighting is an essential part of self-defense, alongside stand-up fighting and weapons training.

I've attended and organized seminars where practitioners of the Chinese (and non-Chinese) martial arts have learned and taught ground techniques. The most recent occasion where we did this was last year, when a practitioner of Chi Tao Chuan, who also has a wrestling background, taught a session on ground fighting. There was another session where a practitioner of VSK Ju Jitsu taught some ground fighting. I've done some MMA training also, as such I incorporate some basic ground defense in my training.

Overall, the CM artists at these sessions were amenable to the idea. Most of us (my martial arts community) believe that our technique has to evolve in order to be maximally effective. Dogma will never dictate the exigencies of combat.
    Last edited by Askari Hodari; 02-28-2009 at 05:42 PM.
    Stop posting and start training.