Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Kung-Fu Schools & Ground fighting

what if two guys get to the ground, and the referee beats the guy on top with a stick? that would be awesome rule

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    what if two guys get to the ground, and the referee beats the guy on top with a stick? that would be awesome rule
    now that's something I want to see on pay per view!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Everyone knows that it all came from Greece... which got it from Egypt... which got it from Africa...
    Probably more truth to that than any of us care to admit, LOL !
    Ehthiopian Sumo for the WIN !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    One can use circular argument to that.
    IF ground work came from Japan, for example, where did they get it?
    It's a well know fact that Japan and Okinawa borrowed many things MA related from China.
    One could debate that, perhaps, ground work came from china, "evolved" in Japan and cam back to China.
    Except that there are very few examples of this type of ground grappling in CMA and all of them we have came after being exposed to Judo

Futhermore, the Japanese, being as anal as they are have very well documented the evolution of Judo/Jiu Jitsu

The extensive ground grappling we see, which influenced and led to BJJ/Sambo, etc came in a period after Jiu Jitsu was abandoned as a battlefield art and became for personal dueling

EVEN THEN, it was under developed. Kano's original curriculum did NOT have extensive ne-waza (floor work). The development by a particular ground of this sort of ne-waza and them defeating Kano's men prompted its inclusion into Kodokan Judo as we know it...

Then, of course, it was further developed in Brazil because Helio Gracie was a man of small physical stature
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    now that's something I want to see on pay per view!
    If they're 4' 11" and under I'm the next contestant!!
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Except that there are very few examples of this type of ground grappling in CMA and all of them we have came after being exposed to Judo

Futhermore, the Japanese, being as anal as they are have very well documented the evolution of Judo/Jiu Jitsu

The extensive ground grappling we see, which influenced and led to BJJ/Sambo, etc came in a period after Jiu Jitsu was abandoned as a battlefield art and became for personal dueling

EVEN THEN, it was under developed. Kano's original curriculum did NOT have extensive ne-waza (floor work). The development by a particular ground of this sort of ne-waza and them defeating Kano's men prompted its inclusion into Kodokan Judo as we know it...

Then, of course, it was further developed in Brazil because Helio Gracie was a man of small physical stature
    All quite correct but don't forget that, as notorious as the Japanese are for keeping MA records, the Chinese are notorious for NOT keeping them.

Have you read Kennedy's book on Chinese training manuals yet? It's fascinating to see how persistant (and long term!) the prevalance of BS and fantasy land values is in TCMA.... it seems like anyone interested in practical CMA has to claw their way against the mainstream, and this is dating back in many cases more than 100 yeas ago
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

does anyone know if this magic tiger kung fu is real or just learned from ju jitsu?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=entKRzPqsWw

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Have you read Kennedy's book on Chinese training manuals yet? It's fascinating to see how persistant (and long term!) the prevalance of BS and fantasy land values is in TCMA.... it seems like anyone interested in practical CMA has to claw their way against the mainstream, and this is dating back in many cases more than 100 yeas ago
    I took your recommendation and read it,yes.
    And excellent book.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    does anyone know if this magic tiger kung fu is real or just learned from ju jitsu?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=entKRzPqsWw
    Oh no you didn't-

This cage fighting thing is sweet and all but I think they need to throw in a really hungry wild animal just to liven things up after they been laying there hugging too long.

Random animals with long fangs, huge incisors, and carbon fiber enhanced claws.
    Now that's pay per view!!

My idea! I said it first!!
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    This cage fighting thing is sweet and all but I think they need to throw in a really hungry wild animal just to liven things up after they been laying there hugging too long.

Random animals with long fangs, huge incisors, and carbon fiber enhanced claws.
    Now that's pay per view!!

My idea! I said it first!!
    Don't forget Midgets, oops, sorry, vertically challenged people, and scantily clad women with big breasts !

Don't forget Midgets, oops, sorry, vertically challenged people, and scantily clad women with big breasts !
    Or those of us who are all of the above.

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

Quote Originally Posted by Taryn P. View Post
    Or those of us who are all of the above.
    Tease....

You two are budding network executives! I salute you sirs!