Thread: Question for the MMA guys...

Question for the MMA guys...

Random Q for the MMA practitioners/competitors here,

how do you feel your art or combination of arts would serve you in a life or death struggle with one or several possibly armed attackers?

I'm not asking this to be an ass or anything, but rather as an "Authentic" Kung Fu guy who also happens to train MMA. I'm interested in hearing what your personal solutions are for situations involving street violence. For example, would there be anything stopping a BJJ guy from going to the root of his art, traditional Japanese Jujitsu (which in fact DOES train for these scenarios) for answers? In other words, how do you adapt your art to the realities of everyday self-defense?

Apologies if this topic has been done like Joe Son without his cup on.

Newbie much?
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

The only way to prepare yourself to deal with "one or several possibly armed attackers" is to train with "one or several possibly armed attackers".
    And unless you do so, it doesn't matter WHAT you do.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    does 'possibly armed' mean that they might be limbless...i don't care how many there are, if they don't have any arms...they're going down!
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I didn't practice kung fu to deal with street violence, in the first place. So, I don't practice MMA with that mindset, either.

However, I would wager the hours and hours of sparring I've done in MMA, compared to the hours and hours of forms training I did in CMA, will be more beneficial for me if I ever have to use it for real.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    does 'possibly armed' mean that they might be limbless...i don't care how many there are, if they don't have any arms...they're going down!
    Ahh yes. But what if you are fighting these guys?
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

This questions depends on your mindset. How many people on this forum are willing to kill a man to survive? It's not as many as you think, or nearly as many that would claim they would.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCloudCLF View Post
    Ahh yes. But what if you are fighting these guys?
    [sniff] no problem...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"