Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Training In China/Taiwan

Training In China/Taiwan

Hi all was hoping you may be able to point me in the right direction, my friend is looking to train for a few months in China or Taiwan in a traditional kung fu system at a live in type of place so that accomodation and food is included, but doesn't want to jump into it through just the information on several websites, she is looking to hear of anyone who may of had experience of training over there or that does train there, or of anyone who may no what she could do next to find out more information, any help would be much appreciated.

regards
    budo
    Last edited by budo; 02-24-2009 at 05:23 AM.

I gotta agree with that sentiment.

If your friend really wants it, then they can find it themselves.
    I personally think it's silly to run off to China to find training when you can get training right here in North America or Britain or just about anywhere.

It would be different if you lived in China and were looking for places to train in China, but to leave here to go there is an exercise in folly.

It's a nice excursion to go for a seminar and eat some things and pose for pics and maybe meet some kungfu cousins at a far and away place, but live in training in a crap hole designed to fleece you is about what you'll get.

hmmmn, maybe that's a lesson your friend needs? lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Considering that some of the best teachers in the world live OUTSIDE of Asia, why go there to train?
    Other than to say " I trained in *insert asian country* "
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

A friend of mine kept saying he wanted to train in Japan, at the Kodokan, that it would be the real Judo and he went, for 4 years , even got his Nidan there.
    Came back and got his ass handed to him in a local tournament.
    Such is life.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    A friend of mine kept saying he wanted to train in Japan, at the Kodokan, that it would be the real Judo and he went, for 4 years , even got his Nidan there.
    Came back and got his ass handed to him in a local tournament.
    Such is life.
    This is hwat needs to happen when anyone returns from their journey to walmart in scandanavia.

they should be taken immediately to walmart and forced to purchase a toaster of equal value in the currency of their own country.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    This is hwat needs to happen when anyone returns from their journey to walmart in scandanavia.

they should be taken immediately to walmart and forced to purchase a toaster of equal value in the currency of their own country.
    You lost me, what does the Anti-Christ ( Wal-Mart) have to do with this ?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You lost me, what does the Anti-Christ ( Wal-Mart) have to do with this ?
    It was comparative.

1. there are two walmarts, 1 is in the hometown of the founder of walmart and the other is in flin flon manitoba.

2. will the toaster be better in the home town walmart than in flin flon, or will the toaster be the same or will the toaster be dependent on how you like your toast and make the settings for doing so once you have the toaster?

capice?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    It was comparative.

1. there are two walmarts, 1 is in the hometown of the founder of walmart and the other is in flin flon manitoba.

2. will the toaster be better in the home town walmart than in flin flon, or will the toaster be the same or will the toaster be dependent on how you like your toast and make the settings for doing so once you have the toaster?

capice?
    Yosh !
    Domo !
    :

I personally like flinflon Manitoba and find the toasters sold at thier walmarts are much more polite than the ones sold here in NY............
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

i would recommend going to china for like 2/3 weeks. learn a form and come home get some training in. if anything do it for the experience. living there for an extended period of time i wouldn't do. and if you go, go to one of the known schools like shi di yang or the wushu schools so you don't have it that bad. there are a lot of good teachers that don't live in china.

the place i stayed in for 2 weeks, the showers barely had water coming out of them. and my head would hit the ceiling if i stood in the shower. and the nozzle went up to my chest. I'm 5'10". oh it was middle of December and we didn't have any heat in our rooms either. and this was a hotel in a major tourist city in china so go figure. this was 2004.
    Last edited by Shaolinlueb; 02-24-2009 at 10:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

I'm going back to China next April.
    If he wants he can join me.

I would like to suggest to go for a short period the first time. Because it is not like in the movies.

On the other hand, it is not poverty either.
    I go to Mengcun, and I can't complain about it.

http://www.wsbjq.com

I go back to Cina for the seventh time.
    Things has changed over time, but the quality is good and I like the people.

Yes, you could trtain with good teachers in the west. But when I'm in China I have no distractions. Work, MA school, family , .... I just focus on training then.

But he has to make up his own mind.
    A lot of people want to go, but only a few take the step.
    treat others like you want that others treat you

Quote Originally Posted by Mengcunman View Post

Yes, you could trtain with good teachers in the west. But when I'm in China I have no distractions. Work, MA school, family , .... I just focus on training then.
    you need to learn how to focus. If the only time you are actually doing training is when you are on a vacation, then you really aren't training so much as you are retreating.

You have to invite training into your whole life and work it with all the other parts of your life. All the distractions, all the responsibilities, all the good and all the bad go together with kungfu training and your kungfu training will in turn help you work through all the distractions.

in all honesty, kungfu is everywhere. all over the world. I agree with Luebs' idea that if you must get it out of your system that you do it in a small dose and try to realize that you aren't getting anything more real or more special than what you are willing to put into it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Hi everyone, thankyou for the fast and informative replies, my friend is female for those of you that metioned he I also agree going to the birth place (or main credited place) of the martial arts doesn't always mean better training or instructors, however I believe she wants to go for other reasons also such as the experience etc she also wants to get a feel of the environment, training, calligraphy and language. She said shes after traditional internal/external training prefferably Taoist based. She said about live in accomodation as she wasnt confident about finding and sorting her own accomodation if its for a few months, however i will pass on your advice, maybe going for less time and staying in a cheap hotel would be an option although that would mean less time training.

Thanks for your replies, any other advice is much appreciated.

if i ever visit taiwan i need to track this muthafuka down!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SijKntA8pdw

HE IS SO FRIGGING GOOD

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

she is female? if she is white, tell her to watch out for all the chinese men following her. and never go anywhere alone. my friends and i ran into a british chick the first day. she asked to take a picture with us and she said she had these chinese dudes following her. we stared them down and she hung with us for a couple hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.