Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Training In China/Taiwan

someone in this thread said the best advice

"just because you go to china, don't expect to be better then everyone else when you get back."

then someone said "go do it for the experience."

if you can go combine the two then you are set.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Many thanks, i will pass on link to your guide chessman. She understands China doesnt = better kung fu training, however she is determined to go and is going for other reasons than just hoping to get good martial training. I'll pass on the info you guys have provided and will let you know of her response or get her to join here.

cheers

good man. tell her to have fun most of all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Tap View Post
    What was that like?
    Second that!!!
    BQ

Quote Originally Posted by budo View Post
    Many thanks, i will pass on link to your guide chessman. She understands China doesnt = better kung fu training, however she is determined to go and is going for other reasons than just hoping to get good martial training. I'll pass on the info you guys have provided and will let you know of her response or get her to join here.

cheers
    Great. The guide would really help her in Taipei. Don't know why others haven't written guides for Beijing, Shanghai, etc.

As others have said, go to have fun. Happiness is key. Don't be anal about training like I was. Enjoy being here.

Good luck.
    Check out my blog on IMA: www.formosaneijia.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Miles View Post
    Let me be perfectly strait with you.

Live in accomadations in China often mean paying what you would for a nice hotel or furnished apartment for the "experience" of third world squalor. Some of the places they put foreigners are places that farmers rent out while they live in new apartments. In other words no one in their right mind who could afford to do otherwise would stay there.

I have students who come to train at my school from around the world. Rather than paying for poverty, they can get a job teaching English part time, have plenty of time to train and have a great quality of life. Forget the included food and accomadations. Take the same money and go to the grocery store and a nice apartment with climate control. It may seem cool to "live like a monk" until the dysentery sits in. Then you can experience a Chinese hospital and spend your time recovering in a cold bed.

www.imperialtao.com
    Good advice. I always wondered what the attraction was to "Training in China" anyway. From what I understand not only do you pay high prices for the living conditions but you also pay through the nose for subpar training. Hell, I struggle with the teacher speaking english. I would go nuts if he only spoke Chinese.

I once saw this french canadian woman on TV who went around the world visiting different MA schools and styles. I donl't even thing she made it to China. But I don't believe she made it to Cambodia(I believe) for a little Muay Tai. If I was going to go somewhere exotic to train this is where I would go.

training is not expensive in china. you can go to a place like Shi chai hai in beijing and will cost you around $55 usd for training with accomodation and food a day. Really not bad.

I took the cheaper option - the accomodation wasnt to bad, just I had to share a room with some russian wushu guys, and had to share the bathroom with a bunch of kids.

But this is one of the good places.

Hotels in china isnt expenasive. You can get a room at a hotel for about 180 rmb per night (around $25), so not that bad.

I go to Wuhan tiyuan, and thats a sports university. They charge me 30 rmb per session (thats $5). I get to train with the professionals, and get all the experience i need.

Where are you going to get a teacher in america that will teach you for $5 per hour?
    Last edited by Eddie; 03-10-2009 at 03:34 AM.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

In mexico.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

Sorry to dig this thread up but I am going to China and A friend mentioned somthing to me.

I was telling him that I plan on just training in a park while down there - I didn't know if it would be worth it to find a school for such a short time.

On the topic of training in the park my friend said that people mostly do High flying fancy wushu forms and doing anything else would make you stand out.

I dont really know any fancy forms... but I have always imagined parks full of people doing tai chi and push hands.

Does this sound right - maybe the posters friend could use the time to see sights and drill in the basics or what she already knows in a park?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Miles View Post
    If she wants to come to China, I can help her a get a job in Chengdu working 14-20 hours a week making enough to study kung fu, have fun, travel, buy stuff and still save money. Plus have plenty of time to train and live in relative comfort. I have a structured curriculum and more modern teaching methods. Foreigners pay the same as Chinese and we also have a Chinese/English language componenet to the curriculum. As a teacher she can also afford good food and weekly massages from experts. This greatly accelerates martial arts training. We also take trips to various mountains for qi gong intensives.

www.kungfumagazine.com
    My roommate tell me, there are a lot of pretty girls in Cheng Du.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori

I would really like to go to the Shaolin temple some day, but it's pretty expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by sideslider View Post
    Sorry to dig this thread up but I am going to China and A friend mentioned somthing to me.

I was telling him that I plan on just training in a park while down there - I didn't know if it would be worth it to find a school for such a short time.

On the topic of training in the park my friend said that people mostly do High flying fancy wushu forms and doing anything else would make you stand out.

I dont really know any fancy forms... but I have always imagined parks full of people doing tai chi and push hands.

Does this sound right - maybe the posters friend could use the time to see sights and drill in the basics or what she already knows in a park?
    Actually I’ve been to a few cities in China, and have not seem allot of Martial Arts practice in the parks. Apart from the taiji and all the weird qigong you might find, but actually, I have never seen anyone else do anything in the park.

You are more likely to find people playing football (Soccer), basketball or badminton in the park, than you’d find people playing wushu.

Take Andy's advice and find a school before you go to china. Its not really that easy to find a kung fu teacher in China. Its much harder than you might think.
    得 心 應 手

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Designs View Post
    My roommate tell me, there are a lot of pretty girls in Cheng Du.
    I’ve heard that they say Chengdu has the most prettiest girls in China. They also call it something like ‘ pretty girl factory’.

Perhaps you and I should go visit Andy some time.
    得 心 應 手