Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Diet and Food Thread

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

food is confusing

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

A lot of these diets are suspect only because only 1 aspect of it is touted as if it were ther whole kit and caboozle. Just like the diet guru who ate a lot of meat but died of a enlarged/clogged arteries. There was no balance!

The missing part seems to be the activity part! Regardless of what hunter gatherers ate, they had to be active (vigilant) meaning they sought out food, shelter and life's essentials. That mean you burn excess food as fuel and at the same time, increase your metabolism. Most people today do not have to do half the stuff due to it being available down the stret where you drive your car are mad at people ebecause they got into a space before you at the nearet entrance.

Now you created an anger reflex not initiated by 'fight or flight' and you are now prone to cardiovascular problems and shortening you life by 1/3!

Don't you love civilization?

yea, i totally agree with that...when I used to hike and camp a lot I would eat much less as well...well, until coming out of the woods that is...then the first civilized meal would be hyugemongous
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    yea, i basically agree with all of that...but, I would really like to get back down to 215 or so...so, i'm really starting to try to fine tune things...age is a biotch since your body doesn't respond as quickly to change.

so, i'm looking for data to compile and decide for myself how I want to go about this now.
    Then I would recommend the book Total Nutrition. Though a hefty read it provides strict FACTS on everything regarding nutrition from how to identify the scams that are so popular to how to calculate your own basic caloric needs. It even goes into nutrition needs throughout the different stages of life, sports, and even special needs, AND has a section on vegetarianism. There is also a plethora of info regarding nutrient and caloric content of a variety of foods as well as meal plans. Just a thought.

Namaste

thanks. i have this one that i use for reference

i believe natural food is the best no processed, home cooked, fruits, veggies, meat, eat when hungry, its not a rule to eat three times a day its more mental,

i beleive in fasting one day a week, on liquids, to give your systems a break,

i also beleive in longer fasts a few times a year, 3-5 days, of liquid, raw food, we need to rest everynight yet we pound our organs with processed food daily, plus all the other **** in the water we drink and air we breath,

in 2000 a study showed the human body has 100 more chemicals in it than it had in the year 1900, all from polutants in our air food and water,

a recent story came out about how legal pharmacuetically engineered drugs, that have long lists of side effects, are being legally dumped into our drinking water

our fda approves the use of carbon monoxied, yes you read that right, to be sprayed on beef

i have been dong 3 day raw food cleanses every few months and not only does my body feel great but my cravings go away,

i have read that cravings come from intestinal imbalances, we eat bread and pizza that has yeast in it, a living growing bacteria, what makes us think it dies when we eat it???

some studies say 75% of america is constipated and has bad parasites living in their intestines, craving suger and salt and greese is not natural,

my biggest influences on nutrition if anyone is interested is

paul chek and his network of trainers,
    dr. david jubb raw foodie
    michael jocson, trained by jubb
    and this dude found at loving raw on you tube
    all these guys i mentioned have video up on youtube
    Set your mind.
    Refuse to be weak,
    Refuse to be sick,
    Refuse to die.
    Think that you are strong and you are

i'm glad you are using that word so much...

Quote Originally Posted by eomonroe00 View Post
    i believe natural food is the best no processed, home cooked, fruits, veggies, meat, eat when hungry, its not a rule to eat three times a day its more mental,

i beleive in fasting one day a week, on liquids, to give your systems a break,

i also beleive in longer fasts a few times a year, 3-5 days, of liquid, raw food, we need to rest everynight yet we pound our organs with processed food daily, plus all the other **** in the water we drink and air we breath,

in 2000 a study showed the human body has 100 more chemicals in it than it had in the year 1900, all from polutants in our air food and water,

a recent story came out about how legal pharmacuetically engineered drugs, that have long lists of side effects, are being legally dumped into our drinking water

our fda approves the use of carbon monoxied, yes you read that right, to be sprayed on beef

i have been dong 3 day raw food cleanses every few months and not only does my body feel great but my cravings go away,

i have read that cravings come from intestinal imbalances, we eat bread and pizza that has yeast in it, a living growing bacteria, what makes us think it dies when we eat it???

some studies say 75% of america is constipated and has bad parasites living in their intestines, craving suger and salt and greese is not natural,

my biggest influences on nutrition if anyone is interested is

paul chek and his network of trainers,
    dr. david jubb raw foodie
    michael jocson, trained by jubb
    and this dude found at loving raw on you tube
    all these guys i mentioned have video up on youtube

I am in the proccess of learning about this - I have heard (maybe from TCM) that cold raw food in the winter is not so good for your body as warmth aids in digestion.

Do these diets , in the most extreme case, prohibit all cooked/heated foods and drink?
    Last edited by sideslider; 04-22-2009 at 09:46 AM.

I get 95% of my carbs from veggies

eat a gargantuan amount of red meat and fish [at least a pound to 1.5# of each each day]

get my non-veggie carbs in the first 8 hours of the day, mostly around my workouts

Precision Nutrition is an amazing cookbook. And other stuff is in there.

Did an earlier post actually have the word "dong" and the number "3" in the same sentence?
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Do these diets , in the most extreme case, prohibit all cooked/heated foods and drink

yes, the theory is any food heated to more than 100 degrees or so starts to decompose the vital nutrients, some heat things to that temperature in a process that dries food out,

i think hot water or tea should be ok,
    raw veggies, fruit, nuts and seeds only
    Set your mind.
    Refuse to be weak,
    Refuse to be sick,
    Refuse to die.
    Think that you are strong and you are

Quote Originally Posted by eomonroe00 View Post
    i think hot water or tea should be ok,
    raw veggies, fruit, nuts and seeds only
    whatever hippy.
    where's my beer?

I've done a vegetarian diet for awhile. Lots of spiritual people, both buddhist and christian agree that being vegetarian is good for your spiritual health. I agree

However I find that purely vegetarian diets over time just don't make you as strong as eating lots of meat. So unless you plan to win fights by using mostly your chi or are so spiritual you won't fight for any reason, being a good fighter on a strictly vegetarian diet can be tricky. Sure it can be done but you'd have to know alot about nutrition and eat the right stuff every meal

It seems to me meat gives more power now while veggies are better for you in the long term. I eat mostly veggies, fish and eggs. Red meat every now and then. I don't eat pork rarely chicken. I like beef. I try to only eat animals that are vegetarian. I give thanks for every meal and try to remember to offer special prayers for any animal I eat (its an indian idea)

I think if you wanna gain weight more meat lose weight more veggies

I also like oatmeal.

Mia Kang

How One Model's Sport Became Her Salvation
    Mia Kang on Muay Thai and its role in helping her heal from addiction and an eating disorder.

By Sara Spruch-Feiner
    Sep 30, 2018

JOSH K. BREDE

For model, Muay Thai fighter, and body positivity activist Mia Kang, no two days are alike. She often splits her time between glamorous photo shoot locations and sweat-filled gyms, which is just one example of the many contrasts that punctuate her life.

“I think that people look at me and get confused,” she says. “People don't really know how to categorize me because I'm not quite Asian, not quite Caucasian. In the [modeling] industry, I'm not big enough, not small enough, not tall enough, not short enough. It’s always: ‘You're too feminine to be a fighter, you're too masculine to be a model.’”

When Kang was in her early teens, she was told by her doctor that she needed to lose weight. As a 13-year-old with little nutrition knowledge, she practically stopped eating altogether and, as a result, nearly halved her weight. This should have raised red flags, but instead, modeling offers piled up. The pressure to stay thin led to more than 15 years of disordered eating. Kang developed anorexia and bulimia and began using narcotics, diet pills, diuretics, and laxatives to remain thin—which left her feeling miserable.

missmiakang
    Verified

22,384 likes
    missmiakangLeft: 2015. size 2. I hadn't eaten solid food in 10 days and smoke a pack of Marlboro Lights a day. I was obsessed with my collarbones, ribs and hip bones showing. I was obsessed with having a thigh gap. I was about to shoot Sports Illustrated Swimsuit for the first time and was trying to look like a VS angel. I was told by the industry I never looked better but still had a little more weight to lose. I hated how I looked so much I thought I was fat and lived in constant anxiety.

Right: Now. Size 8. I feel like I finally became a woman. I love my thighs, my curves. I love my strength and the fact I can probably whoop your ass. I still have insecurities as I adjust into my new body, just like everyone else. But I know my body, respect it, and love it.
    A shift in perspective
    In 2016, seeking respite and a space to recover, she fled to Thailand; there, she discovered Muay Thai. For Kang, the sport provided a form of rehabilitation.

“The gym was right by my house in Thailand, and I would just drive past and stare... I saw the little boys training, and it was like watching this violent ballet. I thought it was so graceful,” she says.

So one day, Kang put on a pair of gloves and joined them. It was a turning point—one that, over time, allowed her to connect with her body in a way that she never had before. She began to look at exercise as a fun, rather than an arduous.

“I think people look at exercise as this tedious thing that they have to do and treat it like it's a punishment for eating,” she laments. “I really encourage people to go find something that they genuinely like, whether it’s a fighting thing, a dance class... If you find something that you actually enjoy, then it's not tedious anymore.”

Sticking to her new, balanced lifestyle
    It’s been two years since Kang started practicing Muay Thai. She aims to train six days a week, but above all she tries to remain balanced. She’s the first to admit that even though the practice makes her feel great, she sometimes faces the same pre-workout dread as the rest of us.

I learned that food isn't a reward for starvation. Food is nourishment.
    “I guarantee there are days where Serena Williams doesn't even want to go pick up a tennis racket,” she says. “I think that's also a misconception—people think that once you get good at something it becomes easy, but even at the highest level of professional athlete, you have to push yourself.”

Mia fighting with her trainer Paul Bamba.
    Muay Thai has also played a significant role in helping her heal from her eating disorder. “In Muay Thai, it’s simply about how strong you feel,” Kang explains. The sport, she explains, forces her to focus on how she feels on the inside—an exact contrast with the focus on the external required by her modeling work.

“I'm fully aware of all my insecurities and all my 'flaws,' but I accept them and I'm not letting them weigh me down anymore, because they're not going anywhere," she says. “It's my decision whether I want to struggle with them or whether I want to make peace with them. You can only find that balance when you listen to yourself.”

Kang's sport has also taught her that food is not the enemy. “I learned that food isn't a reward for starvation. Food is nourishment,” she says proudly. “That's when I learned what my body was actually capable of, and I found strength in myself that I never, ever thought I would have.”
    THREADS
    The Diet and Food Thread
    Muay Thai
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart