Thread: Wing Chun Schools St.Louis MO.

Wing Chun Schools St.Louis MO.

There is a Wing Chun school in St.Charles.

Sillum Hunggar & Wing Chun‎ -
    145 N 5th St, Saint Charles, MO‎ - (636) 946-0031‎

The Tai Chi class is free of charge.
    Starts at 10:00am-12:00pm every sunday.

Address:
    Oriental Ginseng & Gifts Co.‎ -
    8146 Olive Blvd., University City, MO‎ 63130 - (314) 567-6443‎

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...i=lmd&z=14&t=m

Check out the street view and enlarge the picture.
    To see the parking lot. The classes are outside on parking lot next to gift store.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for this post. For a time I was looking for WC instruction in STL, but I've since contented myself with solo-training in WC and some intermittent cross-training in other arts.

However, I am curious. Who instructs the WC at this school? What lineage of WC is it? Is there sparring? What kinds of drills do you all practice?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

AH
    Stop posting and start training.

WC instruction

The School In st.charles I visited once last year. It was pretty cool. But right now I am up to my neck in debt...Don't have an extra 40-60 dollars a month for tution right now. So I can only give you a one day perspective of things Liked when i was there.

Their WC lineage is from Augstine Fong. An they also cross train Hung Gar. They keep both separate. But the WC training is what they mostly emphasized the day I was there. I didn't spar or do chi sau with anyone which is what I was looking for. But the Sifu said that onces everyone gets to know me better over time they will spar with me. Bummer. But its no biggie i was guess anyway. I can not complain.

But as from drills. I like their Yip Man San Shou drills. Pak sau drills is mostly what we did when I was there. Pak Da. and then Pak Da twich switching arms. An pak Da three to four times alternating paks and strikes.

They did some hard training which I like. Traditional Horse stance,Arrow stance,cat stance,crossing horse which I found out that day I was out practice on...wow...an some other stances like hanging horse an such. They practice rooting your Yee Gee Kim Yeung Ma. Which was good.

I am use to dissipating the force as my Sifu always taught. Turn the force off don't stand there an take it.

They also do partner punches really hard. The Sifu told me I was like air so be like rock. An my partner wouldn't stop doing partner punches with me. Everyone else had took a break he kept going for like 15 to 20 minutes. I just concentrated on technique an made sure hit his arm with snap and explosive power everytime we connected. Afterwards both sides of his arms were as red as the shirt I was wearing. He went an got a ton of Dit Da Jow. I got some too. Just to not be prideful since I was a visitor. Also We did three star blocking both in Yee Gee Kim Yeung Ma with open hands or blade hands. An also with close fist in horse and arrow stance. Again my partner went longer than anyone else.

I am glad I had years of experience doing that otherwise my arms would have been killing me.

I think you will get a great work out there...they have great drills and great conditioning. They have a wall bag and wooden dummy. They also have a speed bag and standing punching target too.

Great work out.

As for me Privately train with others of my lineage. we get together an spar. work out on the wooden dummy.practice weapons..chi Sau and sparring so more.

We also go over drills and forms together.

At the Tai Chi class we sometimes meet up WC fighters there too. One of Mike Shengs students came there a couple of times. An some other pretty good martial artist from other back grounds. Also there are some Tae Kwon Do guys there an others who practice a variety of Martial Arts...So sparring is more realistic. At the Tai Chi class they do both push hands and chi sau and sometimes we do WC drills if there are WC people there. For instance when my sihing shows up or one of the guys I am training in WC.

Its alot fun. If you guys are interested in networking or training together and sparring let me know give me private message!

Quote Originally Posted by Askari Hodari View Post
    Thanks for this post. For a time I was looking for WC instruction in STL, but I've since contented myself with solo-training in WC and some intermittent cross-training in other arts.

However, I am curious. Who instructs the WC at this school? What lineage of WC is it? Is there sparring? What kinds of drills do you all practice?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

AH

However, I am curious. Who instructs the WC at this school?

I din't see an answer to that question. I am curious too.

joy chaudhuri

Instructor Name

Oh yea....the question was the instructor name...

To be honest I don't remember his name...I am not good with names unless I hear them over and over again....

That was almost a year ago. I can describe the instructor but I couldn't tell you his name...But i havent touch hands with him so I cant attest for his skill. But talking to him he has a wealth of knowledge on many aspects both external and internal sides of Wing Chun!

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    I din't see an answer to that question. I am curious too.

joy chaudhuri

Remain curious but not critical

There is no one listed on the Fong Wing chun site who is teaching in the St Louis area.

There is someone in Ariz, who teaches both wc and hung ga -keeping them separate. Could be a student of his?

joy chaudhuri

Augstine Fong

Yea. These guys I don't they have website...The closet thing I pulled up for their school was this....

http://www.afn.org/~afn59160/

But these are not same people...But theorectically the WC Hung gar school I speak of is not in St,louis...but St.Charles to be accurate. But then again I only went one time. I actually found it by accident. I was checking out forums to find a WC yip man school an one day on MSN their address popped up...

I don't have all the answers.

I am not a member of that school either.

But that seem like a pretty cool group...and I like how they use the iron rings when they trained their stance work.

I would be curious if anyone else has been there or if their any students who still go there...A friend mines said he tried calling there but he thinks they may be closed. I haven't enquired yet. I may need to drive by there on days of operation!

If anyone has any answers please share them...Oh there is MMA school that teaches some Techniques from WC maybe chain punch and some basic hand drills like lop sau and tan sau and bong sau. But its not pure WC. An I have heard mix reviews about the schoo.

There is no one listed on the Fong Wing chun site who is teaching in the St Louis area.

There is someone in Ariz, who teaches both wc and hung ga -keeping them separate. Could be a student of his?

joy chaudhuri

Just as I thought-

The website that you showed is that of Robert Lopez and the St Charles club may be affiliated with Robert Lopez. I dont know how strongly- you have to ask them or Robert Lopez.
    The rings are probably for hung gar- Lopez is affiliated with Chiu Chi Ling 's hung gar and he has done wing chun.Fong's wing chun doesnt use rings.Robert has a brother in hapkido, I think.

joy chaudhuri

Wink The School

Oh I haven't enquires really. i dont too much care for lineage so Never enquired really.

I just went there one time. To check out how they train.

But yea. I tried calling the number too. Its disconnected. It may be closed now or move location or just changed numbers. I do not know.

But yea, I do not really know the guy. I just know that one website reminds of what I remember from that school. They had a pictures of their sifu or lineage they style comes from. An later I realize the picture of WC guy was a Augstine Fong. The Hung Gar guy I do not remember his name. He was kinda of smaller size Asian guy. But I have no idea name or lineage.

If you find out let me know.

Yea, Who is Robert Lopez? Did he learn from Fong?

But any way from the drills and the practice at that school it was basically yip man style of WC. Which is where Fong line originates from.

The website that you showed is that of Robert Lopez and the St Charles club may be affiliated with Robert Lopez. I dont know how strongly- you have to ask them or Robert Lopez.

The rings are probably for hung gar- Lopez is affiliated with Chiu Chi Ling 's hung gar and he has done wing chun.Fong's wing chun doesnt use rings.Robert has a brother in hapkido, I think.

joy chaudhuri

St. Louis Wing Chun

I am now offering Wing Chun Classes in St. Louis.

If you are interested, please let me know.

stl.wingchun@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Oh yea....the question was the instructor name...

To be honest I don't remember his name...I am not good with names unless I hear them over and over again....

That was almost a year ago. I can describe the instructor but I couldn't tell you his name...But i havent touch hands with him so I cant attest for his skill. But talking to him he has a wealth of knowledge on many aspects both external and internal sides of Wing Chun!
    His first name is Mike. The school is now at St. Peters, corner of Mexico and Spencer road.

Address:

UMACA St. Peters
    6069 Mexico Road
    St. Peters, MO 63376
    (636) 926-2333

http://www.umaca.net/docs/news/kungfu.html
    Last edited by free2flow; 05-01-2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: added more info.