Thread: "Fight Club" busted

Hybrid View

"Fight Club" busted

BOULDER, Colo. - A group of Fairview High School students is suspected of organizing an after-school "fight club" that involved at least 12 students and as many as 60 spectators.

Boulder police spokeswoman Sarah Huntley said Thursday that 10 Fairview students, all boys, have been ticketed on suspicion of public brawling. Police think they were part of a club of friends that regularly met near the South Boulder Recreation Center for public "street fighting."

"Apparently, they were gathering in the field after school hours ... where they were engaging in fights," Huntley said. "They see this as sort of a recreational, spectator-type sport where they just wanted to go out and fight."

Huntley said police started receiving calls about the fights in February but were never able to catch anyone in the act -- until a female Fairview teacher broke up one of the fights March 6, which resulted in two teens being ticketed.

After the students were questioned by Fairview administrators, a police investigation led to eight more tickets being issued Thursday to students connected to the club, Huntley said. Police expect to ticket two more students they think were involved sometime today, she said.

"First and foremost, we're concerned about injuries to kids," Huntley said. "This was not supervised wrestling or boxing. ... This was basically street-fighting for fun."

All of the boys allegedly connected to the club range in age from 15 to 17, Huntley said. Their names are being withheld because they are minors, she said.

Boulder Valley School District spokesman Briggs Gamblin said school officials are working with police to investigate the club, which he said violates district policies against fighting even though the brawls took place off school property.

"The administrators are working to figure out who's involved and how to stop it," Gamblin said. "The feeling is there's several others they need to find."

Fairview Principal Donald Stensrud said he has taken some disciplinary actions against the students who have been cited, but he did not disclose details because of confidentiality rules. He said suspensions are a possibility.

"It's a blood sport," Stensrud said. "It is so antithetical to what we want our young men and women to do, and what we teach them to do."

He said an assistant principal at the school searched online sites including MySpace, YouTube and Facebook for video evidence of the fights but did not find anything.

Stensrud said school administrators will work with counselors, psychologists and sociologists to come up with an appropriate way to talk with the students who were spectators at the fights and all Fairview students about how to make better choices than cheering on a fight.

"I think we're going to figure out what to do as a building and how to address this," Stensrud said.

Stensrud sent an e-mail to Fairview parents Thursday explaining the situation and calling for parents to talk with their children about the fights.

"I assure you that FHS administrators, faculty and staff are working along with the Boulder police and our school resource officer to identify those students involved -- especially those students responsible for organizing this very high-risk activity," Stensrud wrote. "I am asking that you discuss this issue with your student and urge (him or her) to come forward if she or he has any information that will help us bring this behavior to a halt."

The two Fairview students ticketed for the March 6 fight have Boulder Municipal Court appearances scheduled Tuesday. The other eight cited so far are due to appear in court March 25.

The citations carry a fine of up to $1,000 and a maximum of 90 days in jail.

The spectators did not break any laws by watching the fights, according to police.
    http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008...er-fight-club/

Interesting....
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

My guess is this is that members of Bullshido having unofficial throwdowns.

After the students were questioned by Fairview administrators, a police investigation led to eight more tickets being issued Thursday to students connected to the club
    Looks like these two knuckleheads broke the first two rules of Fight Club.
    1bad65--They Call Him Ore Ida, the Tater-Terminator
    http://www.freewebs.com/shaolinninjitsu/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    We had to shut down our first Shaolin Ninjitsu in Shangdong when a key mistranslation of ancient scrolls led to the entire clan bowing down to incense and burning buddhas everywhere in the province.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Takeshi View Post
    Trolling? What does fishing have to do with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    Ashida Kim taught me everything I ever needed to know about the missile dropkick.

It's stupidity like this that makes me want to smack them in the heads. A fight club is not about it being a spectator sport.

But, only for those that are waiting their turn to step into the ring. But, if one wanted to make a spectator sport of a fight club setting, there are a number of safeguards that any illegal fight club/sport should be taking and only the ones that don't get caught are the ones that adhere to them. When you're just a bunch of kids, tickets are a stupid thing to do. Something much less obvious is needed. And when the less obvious thing(s) is used, the ground still needs to be scowered to make sure no one accidentally dropped theirs.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

"Fight Club" busted

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...D=200990228010

sorta in my hometown area...Mebane is the next town over from where I went to HS and I lived in Burlington for a year or so in the late 80's.

definitely messed up to include minors in either the peircings or the fighting
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

duh... duh... duh... doesn't the McMA come with the disclaimer, "do not try this at home, these people are professionally trained morons with very little grey matter and way too much ego to fill" ??

another reason the martial arts are given a bad name these days... true martial artists are never about promoting violence.

meh, fine him. make him register it to make it legal. and then go bust the real criminals who are doing the car jackings and muggings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

people that break laws should be punished. He was doing more then MMA - add tattos without legal consent and bet you'll find more illegal stuff - stuff em
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

Quote Originally Posted by SIFU RON View Post
    people that break laws should be punished.
    depends on the law being broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    meh, fine him. make him register it to make it legal. and then go bust the real criminals who are doing the car jackings and muggings.
    You mean bust the real criminals who are stealing everyone's pensions and ruining the planet?
    A unique snowflake

"Torture Chamber Tattoo" maybe the name gave it away, stupid name for a tattoo shop IMO. The underage thing was F`d up. And I hear ya WinterPalm.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Quote Originally Posted by yu shan View Post
    "Torture Chamber Tattoo" maybe the name gave it away, stupid name for a tattoo shop IMO.
    it's quite obvious that his intelligence level was not up to par.