Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Fight Club" busted

"Fight Club" busted

BOULDER, Colo. - A group of Fairview High School students is suspected of organizing an after-school "fight club" that involved at least 12 students and as many as 60 spectators.

Boulder police spokeswoman Sarah Huntley said Thursday that 10 Fairview students, all boys, have been ticketed on suspicion of public brawling. Police think they were part of a club of friends that regularly met near the South Boulder Recreation Center for public "street fighting."

"Apparently, they were gathering in the field after school hours ... where they were engaging in fights," Huntley said. "They see this as sort of a recreational, spectator-type sport where they just wanted to go out and fight."

Huntley said police started receiving calls about the fights in February but were never able to catch anyone in the act -- until a female Fairview teacher broke up one of the fights March 6, which resulted in two teens being ticketed.

After the students were questioned by Fairview administrators, a police investigation led to eight more tickets being issued Thursday to students connected to the club, Huntley said. Police expect to ticket two more students they think were involved sometime today, she said.

"First and foremost, we're concerned about injuries to kids," Huntley said. "This was not supervised wrestling or boxing. ... This was basically street-fighting for fun."

All of the boys allegedly connected to the club range in age from 15 to 17, Huntley said. Their names are being withheld because they are minors, she said.

Boulder Valley School District spokesman Briggs Gamblin said school officials are working with police to investigate the club, which he said violates district policies against fighting even though the brawls took place off school property.

"The administrators are working to figure out who's involved and how to stop it," Gamblin said. "The feeling is there's several others they need to find."

Fairview Principal Donald Stensrud said he has taken some disciplinary actions against the students who have been cited, but he did not disclose details because of confidentiality rules. He said suspensions are a possibility.

"It's a blood sport," Stensrud said. "It is so antithetical to what we want our young men and women to do, and what we teach them to do."

He said an assistant principal at the school searched online sites including MySpace, YouTube and Facebook for video evidence of the fights but did not find anything.

Stensrud said school administrators will work with counselors, psychologists and sociologists to come up with an appropriate way to talk with the students who were spectators at the fights and all Fairview students about how to make better choices than cheering on a fight.

"I think we're going to figure out what to do as a building and how to address this," Stensrud said.

Stensrud sent an e-mail to Fairview parents Thursday explaining the situation and calling for parents to talk with their children about the fights.

"I assure you that FHS administrators, faculty and staff are working along with the Boulder police and our school resource officer to identify those students involved -- especially those students responsible for organizing this very high-risk activity," Stensrud wrote. "I am asking that you discuss this issue with your student and urge (him or her) to come forward if she or he has any information that will help us bring this behavior to a halt."

The two Fairview students ticketed for the March 6 fight have Boulder Municipal Court appearances scheduled Tuesday. The other eight cited so far are due to appear in court March 25.

The citations carry a fine of up to $1,000 and a maximum of 90 days in jail.

The spectators did not break any laws by watching the fights, according to police.
    http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2008...er-fight-club/

Interesting....
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

My guess is this is that members of Bullshido having unofficial throwdowns.

After the students were questioned by Fairview administrators, a police investigation led to eight more tickets being issued Thursday to students connected to the club
    Looks like these two knuckleheads broke the first two rules of Fight Club.
    1bad65--They Call Him Ore Ida, the Tater-Terminator
    http://www.freewebs.com/shaolinninjitsu/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    We had to shut down our first Shaolin Ninjitsu in Shangdong when a key mistranslation of ancient scrolls led to the entire clan bowing down to incense and burning buddhas everywhere in the province.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Takeshi View Post
    Trolling? What does fishing have to do with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    Ashida Kim taught me everything I ever needed to know about the missile dropkick.

It's stupidity like this that makes me want to smack them in the heads. A fight club is not about it being a spectator sport.

But, only for those that are waiting their turn to step into the ring. But, if one wanted to make a spectator sport of a fight club setting, there are a number of safeguards that any illegal fight club/sport should be taking and only the ones that don't get caught are the ones that adhere to them. When you're just a bunch of kids, tickets are a stupid thing to do. Something much less obvious is needed. And when the less obvious thing(s) is used, the ground still needs to be scowered to make sure no one accidentally dropped theirs.

It's just he current evolution of "Backyard Wrestling".

Let the hillbillies play amongst themselves. Let 'em fight over there, so that we don't have to fight 'em here.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    It's just he current evolution of "Backyard Wrestling".

Let the hillbillies play amongst themselves. Let 'em fight over there, so that we don't have to fight 'em here.
    LOL!!! Many, many residents of The Peoples Republic Of Boulder are tree huging, crocks wearing hippies. I imagine they shiet a brick when they found thier darling children fighting like normal kids... Boulder Dawg and NP are two very rare peole up in that neck of the woods.

But I found this interesting because it sems to be a fairly large fight club. I'm not sure they actually managed to break it up. The kids'll just go do thier hug theropy and then find a better, more secret place to brawl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Good thing mainstream media sources don't encourage this or anything....

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=47451

It has been established a long time ago that people are stupid.

I spent my time in high school doing MA and fighting, yes, and chasing girls and playing futebol.
    Fight clubs?
    I thought that was what gyms are for, oh wait, in those places people actually train and know how to fight, nevermind.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

But of course those kids know better than the people that make a living with such things.

You forget the all mighty teen ager?

so I find out this weekend my sister goes out in the backyard to find my 16 year old nephew and one of his friends wearing hockey gloves and beating the **** out of each other, for fun

I don't understand, he's a straight up "nobody understands me" emo, and him and his friends do this? ****ing teenagers
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    It has been established a long time ago that people are stupid.
    That just about sums it up.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    But of course those kids know better than the people that make a living with such things.

You forget the all mighty teen ager?
    Isn't that always the case?

bodhitree : so I find out this weekend my sister goes out in the backyard to find my 16 year old nephew and one of his friends wearing hockey gloves and beating the **** out of each other, for fun

I don't understand, he's a straight up "nobody understands me" emo, and him and his friends do this? ****ing teenagers
    Yeah, I got a soon-to-be-family memeber and a couple of already-family members that are that stupid too.
    Wannabe posers.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Good thing mainstream media sources don't encourage this or anything....

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=47451
    There's no way kids would imitate something they see in the movies or on TV. No way, never happen.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.