Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Fight Club" busted

what do you expect from a group of people who:

a) are teenagers and don't have any life experience to speak of really

b) are teenagers and are all about worrying what others think of them

c) are teenagers who exist in a peer pressure controlled environment

d) are teenagers and therefor by default don't know any better. (see a)
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I wonder how many of those kids will eventually end up in martial arts and become school owners over the next 20 years.

How many will be posting on the MMA forums and such...How many will be posting here?

I just had a thought...if someone is looking to open a school in that area, all he'd have to do is find the kids organizing the fight club and he'd be able to pool a large group almost instantly by offering to train the fighters and get them into real competitions.

non-mma martial arts practice will be 100% dead in North America becauseof the surge of mma popularity and the in your face proven ability of its fighters.

kungfu players who don't compete and closed circuit tag tournaments will suffer even more ridicule as they gradually dissapear and martial arts will become the realm of the martial only and hobbyists will once and for all be pushed out.

so, adapt or die is the only way. make your kungfu real and make it work under the demands of it being worked or ...well, wait and see what happens to your way. :-)

just making the prediction, not fulfilling it. That will happen on its own. the test is in making the kungfu real or the karate or whatever else.

sport fighting such as boxing, taekwondo, judo et al will survive because of their olympic venues and the career paths offered. but esoteric practice that is unorganized, fragmented, un-unified, non-standardized, obscure and without living proof of true effectiveness will be dead evry soon.

I think there will be a great revival and i think some of you better make it happen soon or it isn't going to happen. :-)

me, Im too old, but I will happily cross hands with anyone who wants to test my kungfu.

and no, I'm not going out of my way or crossing lakes to meet you etc etc in some internet thuggery nonsense as I have experienced before, lol. This is strictly at my convenience and your curiosity, but there you have it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    I just had a thought...if someone is looking to open a school in that area, all he'd have to do is find the kids organizing the fight club and he'd be able to pool a large group almost instantly by offering to train the fighters and get them into real competitions.
    Lots of good stuff up there already. Muy Tai and BJJ mostly, but some good MMA as well.... and close to some first class kung fu. I know there's Krav Maga (sp?) up there but I don't know the quality.

Boulder is a world all it's own. In most towns a person getting a DUI on a bike or roller blades would be odd. In Boulder it meens someone threw a kegger. Which is just about every night.

And they like to think thier kids are somehow above peer pressure and normal kid stuff. Go back and re-read the article. Notice how the pricipal was shock that this could be happening to thier kids? That's not posturing; that's how probably 70% of that town honestly think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

I think you are wrong for one simple reason...most people are looking for the common local strip mall Dojo/Kwoon, NOT to enter the UFC.

They want to be able to defend themselves better, but ultimately they are suburbanites who will never need to. The last thing they want is continued facial bruises, or dislocated shoulders and elbows commonly seen in MMA schools. I have yet to meet an uninjured MMA guy of any respectable skill level, they all nurse something.

MOST normal people don't have the pain tolerance needed for a real fight career. Thye really don't want to do conditioning till they almost puke. They don't want to have a strict diet, or have to rapidly cut weight for an up comming fight. It's just too much for them. they just want to come to clas 2-3 tomes a week and have a good, fun workout and learn some applications.

Also, too many people just LIKE traditional martial arts. They like the forms, the ceremony of bowing and the slick uniforms. They like colored belts and sashes and all that. These people need competitions for thier level and interest, and there will ALWAYS be there for that reason.

Interesting article I found this morning. It talks about why kids may be forming fight clubs in the first place and how letting kids to boxing, MMA, or someother organized event that lets teens test themselves and take a few risks my help them transition from childhood to adulthood a bit better.

BOULDER, Colo -- Video showing a pack of Florida high school girls beating a classmate until she is unconscious is just the latest in a string of on line testimonials to teen violence, some set in Colorado.

One Colorado teacher believes they are a misguided effort by teens to provide a rite of passage.

“In these films, they are telling us what they need,” said Aaron Huey, director of Fire Mountain Programs, a youth empowerment camp in Boulder.

He has worked with some of the teens ticketed in the Fairview Fight Club last month.

Traditionally, he said, adults provide access to a rite of passage, a ritual to help transition from teen to adult.

“If we don’t provide teenagers with what they need, they will provide he for themselves,” he said.

To address those concerns, he started a “teen rite of passage” program to push children out of their comfort zones.

15-year-old Ali Kirby enrolled last February and couldn’t believe the first exersize.

“My whole body was shaking,” she said. “I’m walking barefoot over eight feet of broken glass – how am I going to do this? But you go to do these things, and you get this huge rush and you think if I can do this, what else can I do?”

Her mother, Terri, said her daughter found her voice without a fight.

“I can see how that would happen,” said Kirby. “I really want to do whatever I can to make sure my children don’t play into that.”

Aaron Huey said parents can help their teens through this time by listening to what they’re saying without lecturing or reacting and by giving them ways to push their boundaries and take risks.

It could be a boxing program, martial arts, or anything that sets them apart so they won’t just go along with the crowd.

Copyright 2008 by TheDenverChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...304102008&ts=H
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

This one is different than the previous.

If this was padded sparring or light sparring in a controlled supervised environment, I see no problem with it. How sparring is defined is really at question here.

Thursday, April 10, 2008
    High school self-defense club disbanded after martial-arts sparring match
    Winston-Salem Journal

A self-defense club at Davie High School has been disbanded after two students in the club had a martial-arts sparring match after school last week, according to a news release from Davie County Schools.

The club did not allow any sparring, said Bill Campbell, a spokesman for the school system. The club started at the beginning of the school year after students and a faculty member made a request to the principal, Cary Powers. Two students sparred and other students in the club filmed it. The sparring match was eventually posted to the Internet, Campbell said.

School officials are now investigating the incident and looking at whether the faculty advisor to the club knew about the sparring match or had anything to do with organizing it, Campbell said.

Campbell declined to release the names of the students or the faculty advisor. The club was disbanded this week, Campbell said.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    I think you are wrong for one simple reason...most people are looking for the common local strip mall Dojo/Kwoon, NOT to enter the UFC.

Also, too many people just LIKE traditional martial arts. They like the forms, the ceremony of bowing and the slick uniforms. They like colored belts and sashes and all that. These people need competitions for thier level and interest, and there will ALWAYS be there for that reason.
    He is correct here.

My instructor says the same thing.

I'm an MMA guy, but I've seen those Paul Mitchell MA competitions. Forms, teams forms, freestyle forms, weapons, breaking competitions, etc. They are not training for fighting, but there is definite skill involved.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

"Fight Club" busted

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pb...D=200990228010

sorta in my hometown area...Mebane is the next town over from where I went to HS and I lived in Burlington for a year or so in the late 80's.

definitely messed up to include minors in either the peircings or the fighting
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

duh... duh... duh... doesn't the McMA come with the disclaimer, "do not try this at home, these people are professionally trained morons with very little grey matter and way too much ego to fill" ??

another reason the martial arts are given a bad name these days... true martial artists are never about promoting violence.

meh, fine him. make him register it to make it legal. and then go bust the real criminals who are doing the car jackings and muggings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

people that break laws should be punished. He was doing more then MMA - add tattos without legal consent and bet you'll find more illegal stuff - stuff em
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

Quote Originally Posted by SIFU RON View Post
    people that break laws should be punished.
    depends on the law being broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    meh, fine him. make him register it to make it legal. and then go bust the real criminals who are doing the car jackings and muggings.
    You mean bust the real criminals who are stealing everyone's pensions and ruining the planet?
    A unique snowflake