Thread: just a rant...

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com

just a rant...

I dunno about you guys, but I find it annoying when people refer to Kung-Fu as "the Fu," Wing Chun as "The Chun," and WC people as "Chunners" etc.
    There is a school near me teaching some made up crap, and they refer to Dit Da Jow as "Dit." -farkin stupid, if ya ask me.
    But I'm just a Garer, what do I know?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Word?
    I thought you were a Hung' un.

Speaking of crappy schools, I passed by a Ninjitsu school yesterday which had a really cheesy lifesized dummy complete with Ninja garb and Ninja sword. I'm almost tempted to go in and check it out. Hell, maybe John Takeshi will be there

Aye, well, that's the English language for you. Don't get hung garp on it, man.

Chun and chunners don't bother me, as a practitioner of wing chun kuen kung fu, it's just a convenient abbreviation.

I can see why 'dit' ****es you off: they should know that jow is the noun, and dit in this case is an adjective. Oh well, time to get off my portable and make a call on my mobile.

Maybe what really ****es you off is just that they are a ****ty school...?!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Can't say I'm with you.

I am with punch on the 'jow'

But I'm of the opinion that there is not such thing as "not a word" as long as we can both understand the sounds comming out of my mouth, it's a word.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

pass the jow will ya dit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

reminds me of when MerryPrankster told a story how he met a guy who was a know-it-all and called Jiu-Jitsu "the jits". I still laugh a bit when I think of some deuchebag saying "yeah, I know 'the jits'. ".

People have this thing about wanting to be overly familiar with things as if that gives them more cred.

as an example.

My mom is english by birth. My wife and I visited buckingham palace last year.
    When we returned and were recounting some of the things we saw and did, my mom had this thing about referring to the palace as "buck house".

This raised my eyebrow, because even though she was born in england, she had never set foot in London let alone the palace. (In fact there's a lot of londoners who've never been either, but that's like any city that has an attraction).

I would compare stories like this to the one that TT just told. It's human nature to attempt to identify with something and the more familiar and teh more you use sobriquets for said thing, the more familiar you are supposed to be seen as I guess. There's a lesson here...somewhere. Probably a lesson in social invisibility.

meh, oh well, chuckle and move on!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I dunno about you guys, but I find it annoying when people refer to Kung-Fu as "the Fu," Wing Chun as "The Chun," and WC people as "Chunners" etc.
    There is a school near me teaching some made up crap, and they refer to Dit Da Jow as "Dit." -farkin stupid, if ya ask me.
    But I'm just a Garer, what do I know?
    I thought you was a "Hung Lummer"! ;-)

- jo

I've heard guys call it 'the jits'...I just usually say "time to cuddle in our pajamas" or "the ghey" for short.

But seriously, if you think too hard it is...kinda...doesn't mean it isn't an awesome martial art and effective as all heck, not to mention fun...but that eye contact poster has it all down pat.
    A unique snowflake

Dude I'm going to call it "teh ghey" from now on. Even when I practice it.

Teh ghey
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    I've heard guys call it 'the jits'...I just usually say "time to cuddle in our pajamas" or "the ghey" for short.

But seriously, if you think too hard it is...kinda...doesn't mean it isn't an awesome martial art and effective as all heck, not to mention fun...but that eye contact poster has it all down pat.
    I was JUST about to post "the jits."

I don't remember the story, but I really hate that. Ugh. It just sounds so....

LAME.

And yup, it basically looks like rough gay sex in pajamas.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Not as ghey as oiled wrestlers in skimpy shorts!

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    I was JUST about to post "the jits."
    I don't remember the story, but I really hate that. Ugh. It just sounds so....
    LAME.
    And yup, it basically looks like rough gay sex in pajamas.
    I must admit, I've uttered the phrase "I've heard his jits is pretty slick" and I must now bow my head in shame.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting