Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Songshan Shaolin Temple Day

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...way too many suplexes.
    good thing i gave it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Shaolin Cultural Journeys Press Conference

The Shaolin cultural center had a press conference at Pacific Asia Museum in Pasadena on March 13, 2009. I have uploaded an hd video of the conference. It's about a half hour long with a short martial arts demonstration at the end performed by Shi Yan Xu and his brother.
    Shaolin Press Conference

Once more, with feeling

Due to our little forum blip yesterday, my posts on this thread were lost. Impermanence...

Thanks for that vid, enoajnin. That was a lot of speeches for the first lines of dahong and some wushu shuangdao.

I'm about to leave for a press conference at Yanran's place here in Fremont. It's open to the public so come on down! It starts at 10:00am. 4343 Peralta Boulevard (at Dusterberry), Fremont, CA 94536 Tel: (510) 818-9966 Fax: (510) 818-9960 Email: ShaolinUSA@yahoo.com.cn. This is the place described in my article The Temple and the Auto Shop in our 2009 January/February Shaolin Special.

Here's the schedule for the Abbot's visit up in the Bay Area:
    Shaolin
    1,500 Years of Cultural Heritage

Chan Buddhism • Shaolin Kung Fu • Shaolin Medicine

Program
    March 18 - 23, 2009
    San Francisco - Fremont - San Jose - Sacramento

March 18, 2009 • Wednesday

San Francisco International Airport
    Airport Welcome for The Venerable Abbot Shi Yongxin and China Songshan Shaolin Temple Delegation

9:00 am
    Arrival of Abbot Shi Yongxin and Delegation
    San Francisco International Airport
    United Airlines Flight 888 from Beijing
    You are welcome to join us in greeting the Abbot at the arrival.
    To check status of a flight online, go to http://www.united.com. Or call United International at 800.538.2929.

10:00 am
    Press Conference at Reflection Room at Airport

Group photo with the Venerable Abbot

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 19, 2009 • Thursday • 9:30 - 11 30 am
    Shaolin Temple USA Culture Center
    5509 Geary Blvd., San Francisco, CA 9121
    Grand Opening

9:30 am
    Buddhist Ceremony presided by the Venerable Abbot Shi Yongxin of China Songshan Shaolin Temple, the Venerable Master Ru Xiu of Da Bei Temple and the Venerable Master Chi Hoi of Foshan Monastry: Consecration of Triple Gem Buddha Statues and and blessings for the new Cutlure Center.

10:00 am
    Guest Speakers

10:30 am
    Shaolin Kung Fu Demonstration

11:00
    Buddhist Offerings. To make offering, please contact Amy Tung at 408-472-2530.

March 19, 2009 • Thursday • 2:00 pm
    East Asian Library, UC Berkeley
    The Abbot and Delegation visit the East Asian Library and Electronic Cultural Atlas Initiative.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 20, 2009 • Friday

Asian Art Museum, San Francisco
    Guided tour of exhibits for Abbot Shi Yongxin and Delegation. The Abbot meets with Executive Director and Museum Board Members on future collaborations.

Osher Institute of Integrative Medicine, University of California, San Francisco
    Abbot Shi Yongxin meets with Medical and Department Heads on fusion of East-West Medicine.

March 21, 2009 • Satruday • 10 am - 5 pm
    Union Square, San Francisco
    Shaolin Temple Day Celebration
    1,500 Years of Cultural Heritage
    Chan Buddhism • Shaolin Kung Fu • Shaolin Medicine

10:30 am
    Spring Prayer for World Peace and the American People presided by
    Venerable Abbot Shi Yongxin of China Songshan Shaolin Temple

11:00 am
    Greetings from the Venerable Abbot Shi Yongxin, Senator Leland Yee and Shi Yanran, Director of Shaolin Temple USA
    Guest Speakers
    Lion Dance
    Ribbon Cutting

12 noon, 3 pm
    Shaolin Kung Fu Demonstration

Free Lessons:
    Shaolin Kung Fu, Qigong, classic Shaolin Wellness Exercises

Photo Display:
    History of Shaolin Temple, Shaolin Culture: Chan Buddhism, Shaolin Kung Fu, Shaolin Medicine, Shaolin Temple cultural exchange activities abroad

Shaolin Cultural Booths:
    Shaolin Medicine, Chan Tea & Cuisine, Shaolin Monk Attire, Shaolin Weapons, Books & Arts & much more...

March 21, 2009 • Saturday 6:30 pm
    Ming's
    1700 Embarcadero Road, Palo Alto, CA 94303
    Vegetarian Banquet honoring the Venerable Abbot Shi Yongxin.
    More information: 510-818-9966

March 22, 2009 • Sunday 10 am - 12:30 pm
    Shaolin Temple USA Fremont Culture Center
    4343 Peralta Blvd., Fremont, CA 94536
    Abbot Shi Yongxin meets with students, parents and local residents
    Group photo with the Venerable Abbot

March 22, 2009 • Sunday 3:30 pm
    San Jose Center for the Performing Arts
    255 Almaden Blvd., San Jose, CA 95113
    Magnificent Shaolin
    Spectacular Shaolin Kung Fu • Breathtaking Qigong Feats
    The splendid harmony of Shaolin Martial Arts & Chan Buddhism
    that inhabits the ancient monastery comes to life on stage.
    Performed by Kung Fu Monks of the visiting China Songshan Shaolin Temple Delegation & Shaolin Temple Kung Fu Monks stationed at Shaolin Temple USA
    Abbot Shi Yongxin conducts blessing ceremony

For more information:
    Please call 415-666-9966
    Email: ShaolinUSA@yahoo.com.cn

Tickets: $28, $48, $68, $98 (VIP)

March 23, 2009 • Monday
    California State Capitol, Sacramento
    China Songshan Shaolin Temple Day celebration
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

News on the Abbot

"“hi-ya!” their way into your heart"
    Shaolin Temple Abbot - Venerable Grand Monk Master Shi Yong Xin & Shaoling Temple Kung Fu Monks Team
    Date/Time:Tue., March 24, 7:00pm

Typically, the thought of monks brings forth images of peace and tranquility—not supreme kung-fu beat-downs. For 1,500 years, the monks of China’s Shaolin Temple have been guardians of two of the country’s greatest customs: Buddhism and kung fu. The temple is the birthplace of some of the most famous martial arts, devised to protect the grounds from bandits and later becoming one of the monks’ strongest traditions—and lucky to be here today. The Communist regime declared war on all old ideas and closed the country’s monasteries during the Cultural Revolution. But Jet Li helped to breathe new life into the temple after filming the 1982 classic Shaolin Temple there. It was the first martial-arts film to be shown in mainland China and sparked an international interest in the monks’ unique practices. Witness Venerable Grand Monk Master Shi Yong Xin and the Shaoling Temple Kung Fu Monks Team as they “hi-ya!” their way into your heart.
    This is somewhat related since Abbot Yongxin is here to visit the two American Shaolin Cultural Centers. I was going to ask how many there are worldwide now - this article reports 28 - I'll probably still ask, just to double check.
    Kungfu shrine monastery planning new tourism scheme amid financial crisis

BEIJING, March 12 (Xinhua) -- China's Shaolin Temple and the global financial crisis, far-fetched? The abbot of the legendary kungfu shrine believes otherwise.

The temple is planning a new tourism project aimed to inspire more confidence into people struggling in the prevailing financial crisis, through "perception of Zen's wisdom and power", said Shi Yongxin, the abbot.

"The plan is to let tourists have a taste of living as followers of Zen Buddhism," said Shi, "and people can come to meditate sitting cross legged and eat vegetables only like other monks."

The financial crisis has not impacted people's spending on culture and tourism, he told Xinhua on the sidelines of the annual session of the National People's Congress (NPC), the country's top legislative body.

The number of visitors was unaffected and even increased by about 10 percent since the unfolding of the crisis, according to Shi, also an NPC deputy.

The 1,500-year-old Shaolin Temple in China's central province of Henan on average receives more than 2 million tourists every year.

"Shaolin Kong Fu can make people physically stronger, and living the life of Zen followers can lead them to the perception of Zen's wisdom," he said, "such practices are both very popular among tourists."

The famed Shaolin temple has been frequently in the spotlight of media under the leadership of Shi, as the temple developed business ventures include kungfu shows, film production and online selling.

The latest commercial move of Shi is to open franchised "offshoot" outside Henan Province, such as in southwest China's Yunnan Province.

Shi said the temple is also planning to open a branch in Hong Kong, in a move to promote the Shaolin Kungfu and Chinese culture globally.

His undertakings aroused controversy among the Chinese public. Some accused him of running Shaolin like a business, giving him the nickname of the "CEO monk".

Others said it is a good way to develop Shaolin in such a brand-oriented society because commercialized operation helps protect and spread Chinese kungfu further.

The Shaolin temple has so far set up 28 overseas centers in the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Australia and other countries to promote Shaolin kungfu and Chinese culture.
    I found this amusing since the So.CA portion of the Abbot's trip involves Disneyland in a peripheral way.
    80 percent of netizens strongly support Shaolin Temple's rivalry of Disneyland
    12:54, February 25, 2009

After the article about the Shaolin Temple planning to build a branch in Hong Kong was published on February 23, it drew attention from readers nationwide. Over 50 websites in China quoted the full text.

How do netizens feel about Songshan Shaolin Temple's plan to build another Shaolin Temple in Hong Kong? To understand their opinions, Sohu.com launched a large-scale opinion poll on its website, entitled "Do you support the Shaolin Temple building a branch in Hong Kong costing 420 million HKD?"

The supporting side argues to "support the construction of the Hong Kong Shaolin Temple" in order to better promote Shaolin culture among the people of Hong Kong, and so they can learn the secrets of Shaolin kung fu right on their doorstep. At the same time, it will become a new scenic spot to attract tourists and garner economic benefits. One netizen in Shanghai said, "Now that western culture is spreading everywhere, building a Shaolin Temple in Hong Kong means that Asian culture, represented by Shaolin, can fully rival Disneyland, which represents western culture."

Those who "oppose the construction of the Hong Kong Shaolin Temple" say forking out such a huge sum of money to build a branch temple is an expensive waste. The significance of the Shaolin Temple lies in Buddhist spirituality, not in martial arts tips and commercial expansion.

By 7:00 pm on February 23, a total of 7,703 people have participated in the opinion poll. According to the results, 6,679 people voted in favor of the Shaolin temple plan, while merely 1,024 people voted against it. The results showed a great disparity between the two opinions, which shocked even Abbot Shi Yongxin of the Shaolin Temple. "That is not easy! (Zhen bu rong yi!)," Shi commented using four Chinese characters when he was informed of the results.

Considering the plan for the Shaolin Temple and opinions from netizens, Xia Wanqun, Vice Chairman of the Chinese Folk Literature and Art Society, said, "After reform and opening-up, traditional Chinese culture has continuously been on the defense. The Shaolin Temple, however, has actively spread traditional Chinese culture to the world while revealing the value of traditional Chinese culture. Their efforts are worthy of praise." He added that Shaolin culture implies universal values, which are a part of traditional Chinese culture. The construction of a branch temple in Hong Kong is not only an opportunity for the Shaolin Temple to spread its culture to the whole world, but also a platform for it to spread the culture of China's central plains. "I believe most netizens are aware of this point. That is why they support the Shaolin Temple's plan to build a branch temple in Hong Kong."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

28 huh......so how many are there in the usa that he *authorizes*
    and which ones? not really important..but just curious

How many Shaolin Cultural centers are there?

To my knowledge, Shi Yanran's San Francisco school is the first to be blessed as a Songshan Shaolin Wenhua Zhongxin (cultural center) by Venerable Abbot Shi Yongxin. He will bless Shi Yanran's Fremont school on Sunday. Then on Tuesday, he'll bless the Shi Yanxu's Los Angeles school. I'm not sure if official Wenhua Zhongxin status starts at acceptance or at the blessing. That point my be argued by North vs. South CA Shaolinites for some time.

So my understanding is that will be three Cultural centers in America by the end of this trip. There's another pending in Chicago under Shi Yanju. Shi Yanju and Shi Guolin are scheduled to arrive here tomorrow.

As for today's ceremony, it was a simply glorious day in San Francisco, the kind that makes you fall in love with that great city in a heartbeat. Venerable Master Ru Xiu of Da Bei Temple and the Venerable Master Chi Hoi of Foshan Monastery were also part of the ceremony. Chi Hoi gave a short dharma talk, encouraging people to practice Chan and Shaolin kung fu to ward off depression caused by the global economic crises. Sun Jinhua of the Chinese Cultural Consulate spoke. A proclamation from Leland Yee was read, along with a congratulatory letter from Diane Feinstein.

Abbot Yongxin has four monks traveling with him: Shi Yanao, Shi Yanchan, Shi Yancai and Shi Yanzhong. They all demonstrated some very traditional Shaolin which was awesome. The demonstration was short and combined these four monks with Shi Yanran's group. Shi Yanran's monks did more of a typical stage show performance. It was a bit too close for comfort for our official photographer (me) especially with the needle throwing and the 3-section staff form. It's hard for me to tell exactly where the performer is through a camera lens and I've had way too many incidents in the past to be comfortable.

Yanran held a nice vegetarian banquet for those that attended. I wound up on a table with the nuns of Da Bei. It was very pleasant.

They were headed to U.C. Berkeley next. Yanran kindly invited me to join them, but I had to get back here and finish up some work.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

shi guolin from ny?

nice write up..keep us informed!
    i want to see pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I wound up on a table with the nuns of Da Bei. It was very pleasant.
    Sounds like a lot of fun too.

Here's one for you, Pk_StyLeZ

Here's the 3 Abbots during the blessing ceremony. To the left is Shi Yanran. To the right is Shi Yanxing, who's in this month's BB. I trained under Yanxing for a spell. I'm going to save the good pics for the mag.

Yesterday was shining and clear. Today is partly cloudy here. Stormy weather is predicted for Saturday which would totally suck since we're bringing several $K worth of weapons up for the Shaolin 18 weapons display. But as I've said before, when I'm in the Shaolinzone, I see rainbows. I talked about that in Shaolin Trips - Episode Three: Resting on a Pillow.

"And when they see a cloud upon the sky, they will not fear it, not think it danger unto them, as in the coming of another flood: for they will see the bow of my covenant, which will henceforth be know as a rainbow, the crown of my law."

It's equinox and we're looking for auspicious signs....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tuesday's press conference in 3/18/2009 World Journal

Follow this link to the World Journal S.F. edition 3/18/2009. We're on page B3 (the 18th hyperlink on the right side nav bar). Left to right: me, Shi Yanran, Gigi Oh.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gigi just heard from Guolin

Guolin is in S.F. now. He's staying with Yanju and Yanyue.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

nice gene
    i found some more stuff on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...sa&view=videos

I bid the Abbot goodbye last night

It was quite a weekend. Since I was with the Abbot's entourage yesterday for the Sacramento trip, I'm behind on my Monday chores here. I also have a doctor's appointment this afternoon so I won't get the chance to dole out a complete report (besides I'm saving the good stuff for our print magazine ).

USA Shaolin Temple has been keeping a list of news items (mostly Chinese) along with some slideshows and such. Check it out.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Vid of the Masonic demonstration

This was the strongest demo of the ones I saw during the run. I was seated right below this camera. Unfortunately this vid focuses on the performance routines - there's only on segment that shows some traditional. There was a lot more traditional but that was edited out. Click for vid.

Shaolin Kung Fu Masters
    Shaolin Kung Fu Monks perform the harmony of Shaolin Martial Arts - that inhabits the ancient monastery - to visiting Venerable Abbot Shi Yongxin at Masonic Temple in downtown Sacramento.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Masonic's huh? Who will they demonstrate for next, the Skull and Bones society?