Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Songshan Shaolin Temple Day

Not Skull and Bones...

...unless you count Capt. Jack Sparrow. When they went south, they went to Disneyland.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...unless you count Capt. Jack Sparrow. When they went south, they went to Disneyland.

Ahh yes, the secret headquarters of the Illuminati. Mickey Mouse is their Grandmaster. They probably went to teach the leaders kung fu so they can protect themselves from the peasants when the impending revolution comes.

a blog

I think this is from the same person who got Shi Yanxing into BB this month.

Thursday, March 26, 2009
    Shaolin Temple Day
    It was such an exciting weekend where I was reconnected to my gongfu, or more commonly known as kungfu, past by the visit of Venerable Abbot Shi Yongxin from the legendary China Songshan Shaolin Temple. (The abbot is the leading monk who makes the final decisions in important issues at the temple.) Shaolin Temple USA is an official school directly connected to China’s Shaolin Temple that was established in 495 AD and is renowned for their martial arts. These exercises were first developed to promote blood circulation after long periods of meditation.

The Abbot arrived at SFO from Beijing on March 18 and I joined the welcoming party. The two times I went to China’s Shaolin Temple, I didn’t get a chance to meet him. So I felt so honored meeting him up close in person. He is not that tall and has gentle demeanor, unlike the superhuman impression when reading about those legendary warrior monks in the gongfu novels. Although it is not a requirement to the most skilled in gongfu to become an abbot, I would imagine that Abbot Shi Yongxin is highly trained underneath that modest appearance.

On the next day, March 19, there was a Grand Opening celebration at the San Francisco Shaolin Culture Center. There were two parts to this traditional celebration. First portion was the Buddhist ceremony where the eyes of the three new Buddha statues were symbolically dotted. In the light of their eyes, we can feel the presence of the Buddha. During the ceremony, there were recitals of Buddhist sutras, blessing all the visitors with health, peace and happiness. Comparing to Jewish synagogue services where we get to sit and stand during the entire event, the Buddhist services seemed rather “punishing” where we had to stand during the entire ceremony. My recovering ankle was really protesting towards the end. The second portion was the unveiling of the entrance door plaque, marking the official opening of the cultural center.

The Abbot stated the mission of Shaolin Temple USA that in the past 30 years, Shaolin Temple was visited by millions of friends from many different countries, and that he felt obligated to reach out to the world to spread Buddhist teachings, much like when Budhidharma traveled from India to China Songshan in 517 AD and started Chan Buddhism. The Abbot emphasized that the Shaolin Temple is not just about gongfu/martial arts, instead it is a way of life. The cultural centers offer places for people to study Buddhism, to meditate, and to stay healthy by eating well, to exercise their bodies, and to build communities.

Saturday, March 21, was Shaolin Temple Day celebrated at Union Square, SF. There were numerous booths with information on the origin and history of the Temple, a photo gallery meandered on the public square, a display of monastic attire, free books on Buddhist philosophies, video viewing and sales (where I volunteered), vegetarian food sale, weaponry display, T-shirt and magazine sales (by Tiger Claw). The major attraction was the performance stage where the Abbot prayed for peace and harmony for the US and the world, dignitaries gave their speeches, the students and Shaolin monks demonstrated their skills, and free lessons given by the monks. Like many people, I took advantage and tried out the super-easy qi gong (or Chi Kung) form, Baduanjin (sometimes translated as Eight Section Brocade). It is a simplified set of breathing and stretching exercises based on the famous Yijinjing.

Sunday, March 22, was the theater performance, Magnificent Shaolin. The monks displayed their prowess, strength, and flexibility, all choreographed into beautiful sequence of artful, gravity-defying moves. We saw hard chi gong, single and double weapon forms, fist forms, animal techniques (tiger, dragon, snake, eagle, toad, mantis, monkey), drunken forms, bare hands and weapon sparring. Students performed during the intermission. What I really want to learn is their taichi form (which has some similarities to Chen style tai chi YiLou form) and RouQuan, a soft and fluid fist form that combines soft and hard explosive powers. Unfortunately, no photography was allowed so I can’t post any pictures to share. Unfortunately, no photography was allowed so I can’t post any pictures to share.

Now I just wish they will open up another center near me so I can join the fun. Currently, there are only 4 official schools in the US – San Francisco, Fremont, Los Angeles, and Chicago. Each of schools is run by direct disciples of the Abbot. Be sure to go and check them out if you live in those areas because it will be a lot less expensive than going to China to see them. Otherwise, you can see some incredible action photos on their website, or some awe-inspiring videos on YouTube.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I stand corrected

The blog I posted above was not from the author of said article, but one of her friends.

Here's a vid: 2009 Shaolin Temple Day - San Francisco. In the beginning, you can see the performance stuff slipping and sliding on the wet stage. After 5:30 there's some of the traditional stuff sandwiched between the hard qigong demos. There was more traditional forms demonstrated. I wish the youtube poster had put more of that in. That's the good stuff.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Another newspiece

This is probably the last one. That is, until you get the real story, from us...

Shaolin Temple monks demonstrate power of mind over matter in Sacramento performance
    By Jennifer Garza
    jgarza@sacbee.com
    Published: Tuesday, Mar. 24, 2009 - 12:19 am | Page 1B
    Last Modified: Tuesday, Mar. 24, 2009 - 10:37 am

The monks of the Shaolin Temple in China are world renowned for their practice of Zen Buddhism and mastery of martial arts.

On Monday, they showed why.

In a 20-minute demonstration, the monks displayed the power of mind over matter at Sacramento's Masonic Temple. A dozen men accompanied the venerable Shi Yongxin, abbot of Shaolin, the highest-ranking figure in Chinese Zen Buddhism. He is the first abbot to visit the United States.

The monks – ranging from their 20s to their 50s – showed why they are considered among the top martial artists in the world.

Accompanied by a CD of Chinese music, they kicked, punched and contorted their bodies to show strength and concentration. They broke bricks with the backs of their heads and shattered sticks with their bare hands.

In a dramatic ending, the monks placed four spear tips on a man's bare chest and stomach to hold him in the air.

They ended each demonstration with a bow to the abbot.

Through a translator, the abbot discussed the importance of martial arts to Zen Buddhism over the past 1,500 years. "They (martial arts) build endurance and character, and that's how they contribute to society," he said.

Zen Buddhism originated in China, and the Shaolin Temple is considered one of the most famous temples in that country. It's also the setting of the 1982 Jet Li movie "The Shaolin Temple".

The temple is the birthplace of Shaolin kung fu – where monks spend years trying to master that martial art. Kung fu was originally developed to fight off wild animals, according to Lee Li, director of the Shaolin Kung Fu Center in China. Later, monks incorporated the martial arts into meditation.

"They are a guide to enlightenment, part of the process," said Li.

Shi Yanran was the monk suspended Monday on spear tips. At 26, he has practiced eight hours a day for 15 years. He said the monks don't think of what they do as dangerous. Instead, they believe kung fu pushes them to their mental and physical limits.

"The goal is the thing in kung fu," said Yanran.

The performance left many in the audience impressed. "It was fantastic, really something," said Bobby Galsham of Sacramento, who studies martial arts.

Ann Yuey came from San Francisco to see the monks. "What I liked is their peaceful nature," said Yuey. "They are very calming.

The monks were in California in honor of a resolution authored by state Sen. Leland Yee, D-San Francisco, that declared March 21 "Shaolin Temple Day."

After the demonstration, the abbot was asked about Tibetan monks in China. Nearly 100 Tibetan monks were reportedly detained during a riot at a police station in China over the weekend. The abbot did not address the situation directly but said that he meets with Tibetan monks regularly.

He said that people in Tibet "can enjoy freedom of religion."

The abbot said the monks were in town as part of a cultural exchange.

"It is through the coming together of various cultures," he said, "that we are able to come together as one."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Songshan Shaolin Temple Day 2009 Commemorative Shirt

It was raining at Union Square on Shaolin Temple Day on March 21st, so we didn't sell very many t-shirts. Then there was an oversight on behalf of the booking of Magnificent Shaolin and we weren't issued a promised resale permit. So we've still got some shirts.

20% OFF - Songshan Shaolin Temple Day 2009 Commemorative Shirt. Offer good while supply lasts.

A portion of the proceeds of these limited-edition commemorative shirts goes to the Friends of Shaolin, a special committee of the Tiger Claw Foundation, a non-profit charitable organization dedicated to promoting martial artists and assisting martial artists in achieving their goals.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Did I mention that I met Steve DeMasco face to face at Shaolin Day?

Perhaps that should go on the What's Up with USSD? thread. I also interviewed the Abbot and asked him how many Cultural Centers there are in the world and in the U.S., and which one was first in America. Of course, you'll have to buy our next issue to get the answers. Got to save some choice tidbits for the mag.

Buy a commemorative shirt. It's good karma.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Perhaps that should go on the What's Up with USSD? thread. I also interviewed the Abbot and asked him how many Cultural Centers there are in the world and in the U.S., and which one was first in America. Of course, you'll have to buy our next issue to get the answers. Got to save some choice tidbits for the mag.

Buy a commemorative shirt. It's good karma.
    when the next issue come out...can u remind me...and also...how or where can i get to order the last shaolin special? i missed it on the bookstands too

Video clip from Disney Martial Arts Festival

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE95bsh8Pc0

Video of performance from the 3/29 Disneyland martial arts festival.
    Last edited by wenshu; 04-12-2009 at 01:25 PM.

Pk_StyLeZ - the next issue will be our July August 2009

It'll be available on the newsstands on 6/9/9, which means you still have plenty of time to subscribe.

We opened this year with a Shaolin Special - you can buy a back issue at our forum sponsor, MartialArtsMart.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Some Videos of Shaolin in the Southland

Here are some videos from the Shaolin swing through SoCal. There are a few press conferences, the Taking Refuge Ceremony and a bunch of demonstrations. Enjoy. Make sure you hit the play button to start the videos.

Shaolin Cultural Learnings

Sweet! I'm definitely going to pick up a Shaolin Day t-shirt, great design and functional too.

Check out our e-zine

Just posted: Shaolin Adventures in Disneyland by Greg Lynch Jr.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shaolin in California

Are they planning on making a temple in Cali? i would definately go there too bad i didn't go to Disney land that would be funny to see trained deadly warriors with mickey mouse and other characters XD!

2010 Shaolin Temple Day Celebration - March 21, 2010

Shaolin Temple USA is holding observances at their S.F. and Fremont locations. See their website.

2010 Shaolin Temple Day
    Celebration
    March 21, 2010 • Sunday

• Your are cordially invited •
    Please join us at our
    Shaolin Temple Culture Centers
    San Francisco • Fremont, CA

Program:
    (both centers)
    • Shaolion Kung Fu Performance
    by Shaolin Temple USA Kung Fu Monks
    Presenting: