Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hands Of Wing Chun

Hands Of Wing Chun

Hey lets discuss the various hands of Wing Chun and their possible uses and applications:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...52152250361017

http://www.wingchunonline.com/Wingch...ing_hands.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Chun_terms#Limb_names

Here are so of many techinques. But their are many others. Just the beginning. I know how to use all these hands. But sometimes the chinese termiology I forget. So I do not remember all the names my self. There are like five I forget about sometime. So don't be stress out about learning terminology right away. In time you will get use to words.

1. Bong Sao (wing arm)
    2. Tan Sao (palm up hand)
    3. Pak Sao (slapping hand)
    4. Fok Sao (controlling hand or bridge hand)
    5. Lop Sao (pulling hand or grabbing hand)
    6. Wu Sao (protecting hand)
    7. Tok Sao (lifting hand)
    8. Jut Sao (jerking hand)
    9. Jum Sao (sinking hand)
    10. Huen Sao (circling hand)
    11. Kwun Sao (rotating hand)
    12. Gum Sao (pinning hand)
    13. Lan Sao (bar arm)
    14. Man Sao (searching hand)
    15. Tie Sao (raising hand)
    16. Gan Sao (splitting hand)
    17. Bil Sao (thrusting hand)
    18. Jip Sau (Receiving Hand)
    Last edited by Yoshiyahu; 03-07-2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: remove extra stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Hey lets discuss the various hands of Wing Chun and their possible uses and applications:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...52152250361017

http://www.wingchunonline.com/Wingch...ing_hands.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wing_Chun_terms#Limb_names

Here are so of many techinques. But their are many others. Just the beginning. I know how to use all these hands. But sometimes the chinese termiology I forget. So I do not remember all the names my self. There are like five I forget about sometime. So don't be stress out about learning terminology right away. In time you will get use to words.

1. Bong Sao (wing arm)basically a Helping action, to facilitate more hitting
    2. Tan Sao (palm up hand) trains hitting with elbow "IN" position, usually from inside line
    3. Pak Sao (slapping hand) trains hitting, usually from outside line, maybe from a bit further out;secondary useage trap from outside range and line
    4. Fok Sao (controlling hand or bridge hand)trains hitting again/elbow isolation, trains forearm formation for most all upper body movements:secondary use subduing bridge from over top,
    5. Lop Sao (pulling hand or grabbing hand)helping action to clear line for hitting
    6. Wu Sao (protecting hand) used in cooperation with bong to set up hitting;secondary useage as a compass, always aiming towards centerline/com. Can also be used as outside line deflection after contact has been made and COG is challenged
    7. Tok Sao (lifting hand)helping action, from underneath, good for colargrab defense and elbow break, etc.
    8. Jut Sao (jerking hand)clearing line action to facilitate hitting
    9. Jum Sao (sinking hand)natural recoil action from hitting, useful when on the outside of a bridge
    10. Huen Sao (circling hand)trains wrist strength/flexibility/relaxation for hitting;secondary useage for redirection of on coming energy, not used to much for dealing with strikes, but can see useage when wrists/arms are grabbed
    11. Kwun Sao (rotating hand)"Quan sau" another adaption of Bong/Wu concept, good for getting out of pinned positions..sorta used like lan sau concept as a barrier on the inside clinchin range
    12. Gum Sao (pinning hand)over the top block, we use this as a pressing action "Soh Sau", rather than a pinning action "Gum Sau"
    13. Lan Sao (bar arm)"barrier arm", used for creating space, deflecting energy, forming a barrier between you and him
    14. Man Sao (searching hand)"asking hand" sort of a temporary guarding hand when range is extended, causes some opponents to answer the question, which is to your advantage
    15. Tie Sao (raising hand)??not familiar with this term
    16. Gan Sao (splitting hand)low line defence and used for outside to inside control and movement..like a big huen sau
    17. Bil Sao (thrusting hand)long range movement, can be used for inside or outside of bridge contact
    18. Jip Sau (Receiving Hand)??not familiar with term
    Just a few opinions on the terms and useages. One can't get caught up in all of these "sau's" as you will then become like a static picture, dead movement and not alive. They are all considered verb's, action words and concept based, with the whole movement considered to be the action or technique.

Wing chun's real genius is it's development of the whole structure, lower and upper body cooperation in all movements, to produce a fighter than can move fast, adapt well, strike hard and maintain a inside fighting range to crowd the opponent, jamming up their power generation mechanism, rather than chasing hands with this or that sau or block when he does this or that attack.

It's a system based on courage first, experience second, and aggression third, among other things.

James

Great

Excellent Post James.

If anyone has anything else to add. Or pictures of other hands of WC not mention above please feel free to share?

Wing chun's real genius is it's development of the whole structure, lower and upper body cooperation in all movements, to produce a fighter than can move fast, adapt well, strike hard and maintain a inside fighting range to crowd the opponent, jamming up their power generation mechanism, rather than chasing hands with this or that sau or block when he does this or that attack.

It's a system based on courage first, experience second, and aggression third, among other things.
    Its really easy to dress up a system with powerful words.

Wing Chun is a system of movements, templates, concepts.
    Just like boxing is a system of movements, templates, concepts.

In the context of fighting as a whole, its a necessary system because it fills in a gap that most other systems don't.

The genius is in the practitioner utilizing it in context, with other systems that complete their general knowledge of fighting. A system with powerful and refined kicking, like muay thai, a system with powerful and refined punching, footwork and body movement, like boxing, a system with powerful and refined ground work, like BJJ, etc. etc.

Wing chun is useless on its own.
    Unless you're just using it for self-defense against the lowest common denominator of opponent. In which case, its more effective to just go to the gym and learn how to hit someone really ****ing hard.

WC Is Useless alone.

Wing Chun is usesless on its on?

So you believe Boxers and Muay Thai Fighters are not capable of defeating someone who trains both a striking art and ground fighting art?

If Yip Man was 40 years old today and still alive how many MMA fighters do you think today could defeat him?

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    Its really easy to dress up a system with powerful words.

Wing Chun is a system of movements, templates, concepts.
    Just like boxing is a system of movements, templates, concepts.

In the context of fighting as a whole, its a necessary system because it fills in a gap that most other systems don't.

The genius is in the practitioner utilizing it in context, with other systems that complete their general knowledge of fighting. A system with powerful and refined kicking, like muay thai, a system with powerful and refined punching, footwork and body movement, like boxing, a system with powerful and refined ground work, like BJJ, etc. etc.

Unless you're just using it for self-defense against the lowest common denominator of opponent. In which case, its more effective to just go to the gym and learn how to hit someone really ****ing hard.

So you believe Boxers and Muay Thai Fighters are not capable of defeating someone who trains both a striking art and ground fighting art?
    You misunderstand.
    Any fighter who is focusing on only training one style or one range of fighting that doesn't cover other ranges, is at such a huge disadvantage that they might as well just go lift weights and get strong instead.

A straight boxer or muay thai fighter who gets taken to the ground, will most likely be defeated.

Does that mean all grapplers win? No, a grappler who has no idea how to strike or take a punch will get his ass kicked too.

The point is, what the **** kind of SENSE does it make to train for only ONE type of fight??? Its ridiculous. You're wasting your time.

A straight boxer or muay thai fighter who gets taken to the ground, will most likely be defeated.
    Are you implying that a "not-straight" boxer or muay thai fighter who gets taken to the ground would "win"/enjoy the "experience".......
    It's also possible that a little bit of "extra" punishment might even be welcome.

You misunderstand.
    Any fighter who is focusing on only training one style or one range of fighting that doesn't cover other ranges, is at such a huge disadvantage that they might as well just go lift weights and get strong instead.
    my wing chun covers all ranges, except one - the ground.

even then there are some specific techniques (locks etc) that can be used on the ground - but i still wouldnt say that my wc covers this range

Are you implying that a "not-straight" boxer or muay thai fighter who gets taken to the ground would "win"/enjoy the "experience".......
    It's also possible that a little bit of "extra" punishment might even be welcome.
    lol

my wing chun covers all ranges, except one - the ground.
    Go you!

A not-straight boxer? you mean he's gay? I guess maybe he might enjoy being taken to the ground depending on your sexual orientation.

Look, you open these doors, i just walk through them.

Only if he's into the rough stuff.

No. It holds its own just fine even against other styles if you train for it.

The WC i have studied my not do a lot of ground fighting but it did have some. Not saying that any one style is best, but i think your point of stating that WC is useless by itself is a bit stretched. You may get jumped every week for the rest of your life and it might never go to the ground. Or you may train in FMA and never once have someone draw a knife/stick on you.

Albeit, i'm a huge advocate for cross training (i.e. bjj, mt, wc, boxing, fma), but each has their own strengths that it can stand on alone.

Quote Originally Posted by taojkd View Post
    A not-straight boxer? you mean he's gay? I guess maybe he might enjoy being taken to the ground depending on your sexual orientation.
    ... and who gets to play the "mountie"/"mounty"/"mountee"?

Look, you open these doors, i just walk through them.
    This one was located at the rear of the oedipus..... or was that an edifice?

Only if he's into the rough stuff.
    "What's sauce....." "got to do with it"?

Albeit, i'm a huge advocate for cross training...
    How do you need/decide to dress for the "occasion"?
    Last edited by bakxierboxer; 03-12-2009 at 01:18 PM.

[QUOTE=Yoshiyahu;921298]
    I have to add this. Tan sao doesn't mean palm up hand.
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 03-12-2009 at 01:13 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by sihing View Post
    Just a few opinions on the terms and useages. One can't get caught up in all of these "sau's" as you will then become like a static picture, dead movement and not alive. They are all considered verb's, action words and concept based, with the whole movement considered to be the action or technique.

James
    Hmm..there seems to be a common theme in your response.

What's the word I'm looking for that appears so frequently?

Oh! It's: HITTING!

(Tongue-in-cheek response)

Cheers!
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

what do you mean

[QUOTE=Phil Redmond;922907]
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    I have to add this. Tan sao doesn't mean palm up hand.
    What does Tan Sau mean besides Palm up block? I am familiar with another term such as dispersing hand...But please share what it is? What does tan mean?

Tan=(your words here)

Sau=(hand)

Tan sau means spread out arm my wing chun covers all aspects of the game, even ground fighting. What you can do standing up can you not take those principles to the ground game? Things like control and dominate the center, dont cross center, maintain control of opponent at all times, i mean your already made contact. Does Chi sau not teach use to use that contact as a bridge to cross and destroy? think about it.
    "Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."-Psalms 144:1

"I Am The Punishment Of God, If You Had Not Committed Great Sins, God Would Not Have Sent A Punishment Like Me Upon You"-Genghis Khan

"The light of the eyes is a comet, And ones' activity is as lightning, The sword that kills the man; is the sword that saves the man"