Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How to defeat a Wrestler

How to defeat a Wrestler

How can you use your Wing Chun to defeat a ground figher with out going to ground or having taking any Ground fighting classes?
    Last edited by Yoshiyahu; 03-05-2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: check

..........................run

just effing bite them... take a few mouthfuls off of their bodies, they'll let up real quick.

Oh, oh....newbie to wing chun forum alert!!!

He's obviously unaware that there have been about 600 threads on this subject so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    How can you use your Wing Chun to feet a ground figher with out going to ground or having taking any Ground fighting classes?
    Let me ask you this, what is it about a "wrestler" and what he does that warrants a thread about how to defeat him?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Let me ask you this, what is it about a "wrestler" and what he does that warrants a thread about how to defeat him?
    Come on man. You've got Stone Cold Steve Austin breathing fire and smashing beer cans on his head, full ones so he's really really ****ed, coming for you.

That answers your question.

You've got Stone Cold Steve Austin breathing fire and smashing beer cans on his head, full ones so he's really really ****ed, coming for you.
    Gun. Gun is only solution to that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by taojkd View Post
    Gun. Gun is only solution to that guy.
    That'll just **** him off !!

AS Vic said, this dead horse has been flogged to life again and back to dead several hundred times on various fora including this one. Every possible position on the subject, from the eminently sensible to the utter lunatic, from WC fundamentalism to MMA fundamentalism via pragmatism and back has been stated over and over.

Many WC styles have some groundfighting in them. But their practitioners are unlikely to have a hope on the ground against someone who trains there every day unless they do the same.

If you''re concerned about fighting groundfighters (why?), learn groundfighting. Know your enemy, even if he exists only in your imagination.

You're likely to avoid fights with wrestlers if you stop going to wrestling meets and shouting out that all that hugging and those singlets make them look gay.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    AS Vic said, this dead horse has been flogged to life again and back to dead several hundred times on various fora including this one. Every possible position on the subject, from the eminently sensible to the utter lunatic, from WC fundamentalism to MMA fundamentalism via pragmatism and back has been stated over and over.

Many WC styles have some groundfighting in them. But their practitioners are unlikely to have a hope on the ground against someone who trains there every day unless they do the same.

If you''re concerned about fighting groundfighters (why?), learn groundfighting. Know your enemy, even if he exists only in your imagination.

You're likely to avoid fights with wrestlers if you stop going to wrestling meets and shouting out that all that hugging and those singlets make them look gay.
    The problem sometimes is that too many people think that if they take up BJJ or MMA to adress the ground issue that, somehow, they are not doing their "style" anymore.
    Someone has told them that to do B you have to stop A

Fact is, you wanna use your WC VS a wrestler, learn to wrestle, learn what they are good at, what their wekanesses are and learn hwo to use your WC to counter their strengths and expolit their weaknesses.
    This is what every other MA FIGHTER(S) has ever done, why stop now?

avoid getting taken down

its not always a guarantee. look at chuck liddell. although hes not inept on the ground he is primarily a striker. how often does he get taken down.

something that can help with being taken down is to not stay stationary. keep circling. this lateral movement makes it a little harder for him to shoot on your perfectly. harder to get a double leg on you. if he goes for the single then you have more opportunity to choke him, or hit him in soem other way.

also keep low, lower center of gravity. dont stand there flat footed with a straight back.

this is not a guaranteed defense, but things to work on.

also, if for what reason you cannot learn some form of groundfighting, learn to bridge and get people off you so you can scramble to your feet again

Quote Originally Posted by clam61 View Post
    avoid getting taken down

its not always a guarantee. look at chuck liddell. although hes not inept on the ground he is primarily a striker. how often does he get taken down.

something that can help with being taken down is to not stay stationary. keep circling. this lateral movement makes it a little harder for him to shoot on your perfectly. harder to get a double leg on you. if he goes for the single then you have more opportunity to choke him, or hit him in soem other way.

also keep low, lower center of gravity. dont stand there flat footed with a straight back.

this is not a guaranteed defense, but things to work on.

also, if for what reason you cannot learn some form of groundfighting, learn to bridge and get people off you so you can scramble to your feet again
    Chuck was an excellent wrestler and a Purple belt in BJJ, I think.

I don't know about his BJJ skills but he was a division 1 wrestler at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo.

Being a division 1 wrestler puts you pretty high up on the grappling food chain.

So the answer is for the WCer to become a Div. 1 wrestler.

Problem solved!

Lightbulb WC fundamentalism

As WC fundamentalism or WC Purist how does one defeat a wrestler.

In other words No matter if you advoid the take down or you are taking down to ground what are some purely Wing Chun tactics for getting off the ground or advoiding the take down.

As for being a Newbie Ultimate this is my first week on this Forum. So Newbie I am...

Anyway I heard biting as one technique. Anything else to accompany biting?

I mean what I am looking for is some possible solution to defeat a wrestler with out learning wrestling.

So how do you take a wrestler out with out taking up BJJ or learning how to wrestle?

A couple of examples of what I mean:
    How to defeat a boxer with out taking up boxing(Don't play the boxers game). How to defeat a Tae Kwon Do Guy with out taking up Tae Kwon Do(Don't play their game, Jam thier distance, bridge the gap so they don't have room to kick).
    Please surely Wing Chun can defeat both striking and grappling styles with out having to to learn the various styles? Or is it Wing Chun is unable to defeat wrestlers. If thats the case why learn Wing Chun. If all Wrestling and grappling styles can defeat WC why not just learn ground fighting so you can beat WC fighters. By default any fighter a WC guy can defeat you will be able to defeat because Grappling and Ground Fighting is superior to pure Wing Chun.

In other words Ground fighting is the ultimate art that can not be defeated unless you study ground fighting!