Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Making your WC deadly

In the past, the typical reason why certain Dim Mak points worked was based on "chi", the disruption and manipulation thereof.
    Times change, science changes and as such, we began to understand the body better.
    What was "chi", now became many other things such as automatic nerve responses, the body's own defence mechanisims working against it, nerve damage, internal damage to organs, etc,e tc.
    The main issue many have with Dim Mak is its apparent uselessness in an actual fight, outside the typical points that are common in every system of H2H combat.
    We must remember that Dim Mak was not only about empty hand attacks, but attacks with weapons, including specialized weapons such as needles.
    Many of the DM points work ver well with a short stick or sharp object, less so with your empty hands.
    Unless of course your hands have been uber forged.
    Dim mak is, like IP and IV and all that, a subsystem of H2H fighting and not some stand alone "magic bullet".
    In other words, the better fighter still has the edge, no matter what.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    In the past, the typical reason why certain Dim Mak points worked was based on "chi", the disruption and manipulation thereof.
    Times change, science changes and as such, we began to understand the body better.
    What was "chi", now became many other things such as automatic nerve responses, the body's own defence mechanisims working against it, nerve damage, internal damage to organs, etc,e tc.
    The main issue many have with Dim Mak is its apparent uselessness in an actual fight, outside the typical points that are common in every system of H2H combat.
    We must remember that Dim Mak was not only about empty hand attacks, but attacks with weapons, including specialized weapons such as needles.
    Many of the DM points work ver well with a short stick or sharp object, less so with your empty hands.
    Unless of course your hands have been uber forged.
    Dim mak is, like IP and IV and all that, a subsystem of H2H fighting and not some stand alone "magic bullet".
    In other words, the better fighter still has the edge, no matter what.
    Aw man, I go a day without logging in and Sanjuro takes the words right out of my mouth...
    What do you call someone who practices Dim Mak on themselves?
    Dum Fuk!

Sanjuro, poking people just about anywhere with a sharp object usually works.

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    Sanjuro, poking people just about anywhere with a sharp object usually works.
    Some places more than others
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

This is true.

Ya know, I just realized something.
    Why the hell am I going around on a public forum telling people that there is no magic qi trick to Dim Mak?
    Forget everything I've posted above!
    Dim Mak is indeed a super secret style that is only taught by albino monks in an invisible temple on top of a mountain that only appears in our dimension every 3.14159265358979 thousand years. Once you've mastered it, you can kill people just by poking their shadow with a jade needle and making all their qi reverse its flow, causing their organs to explode with disrupted elemental energy. I have fully mastered the Dim Mak style but I have been forbidden to show it to anyone. So, don't bother trying to learn it, and don't ask me to show you, because then I'd have to kill you.
    There. Now you all know the secret story of Dim Mak.
    Have a nice day.
    Dum Fuk!

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Thanks fo the sharing.

looking at your description,
    Just curious where do you from and do you practice WCK or other art or mix?
    I live in the Seattle area of Washington State in the USA.
    I have trained in alot of different martial arts over the years, but my focus has been in Baguazhang and Shaolin Snake. I have learned some Wing Chun as well, but only as an introduction to my training in Snake.
    Dum Fuk!

I think we should start a separate thread on this Katsu Jin Ken. I see where you going it would be a great discussion?

Are try my other thread called Chi Cultivation in Wing Chun?

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=53378

Quote Originally Posted by Katsu Jin Ken View Post
    on a different note, has anyone ever made the arguement that WC is an internal MA?

I train with a guy that learned hsing i back in Cali (his sifu was mike patterson), we've discussed internal ma and hsing i and wc has alot of things in common, do you all think wc is internal? or strictly external?
    Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    Dr YANG, JWING-MING is the first one to point out that it is very diffucult to apply in a fight and the moment the opponent knows ones intentions its next to impossible...moreover he says that if one is to be sucessful applying Chin Na or seizing and controlling techniques its more likely going to happen in a random street encounter rather than a face to face fight in a ring.

Perhaps its my misunderstanding of Dim Mak - but i thought Dim Mak was to stop an opponent cold - kinda like Spoks neck touch in star trek knocking people out disabling a limb so they cant use it etc kiss the dragon anyone ....and Chi Na is the art of small medium and large circle seizing and controlling techniques similar to Aikido.

DREW

You are right Chin Na is not the same as Dim Mak. Dim Mak is like mike tyson hitting you in face with out boxing gloves or him hitting you in kidneys with his bear knuckles. i gurantee he will stop you cold if he connect. But even if you have the strength and power to adminster dim mak. You have to get a clean shot off and know where to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    Having good technique and a solid foundation of power and movement/footwork is first and foremost...and IMO you need not have"deadly techs" just good old fashion damaging techs as you would in H2H.

Ive found through mixing with other styles that specifically train against weapons that the habbit of not using thumbs for grabbing in VT is contrary to how you would need to deal with an attacker with a knife...

That said - controlling the weapon on your outside after stepping inside is good - like stepping in chopping the swinging arm with a Guarn Sau then grabbing the arm to control followed by - stomping a knee to ground the opponent, then using footwork to circle around the opponent to lock off his ability to use the arm and weapon followed by a good head stomp is my prefered tech...which IMO is 'mostly' VT and while it can be deadly if you dont stop stomping... is enough to stop a unseasoned angry knife laymen LOL.

Anyway thats my take.

DREW

Which Wing Chun lineages don't allow grabbing with the thumb!
    Last edited by Yoshiyahu; 03-09-2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: add link

Despair not!

If you sign an unbreakable twenty-year contract to study under Chazmek (prices and conditions available upon request), at the end of that period he just **MAY** (if you are lucky, work hard and bring him good snacks) deem you worthy to learn the inner secrets of his Dim Mak. At which point you would of course be required to sign a second twenty-year contract. Oh, and you also have to buy the uniform, and clean out his ferret cages every weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Chazmek View Post
    Ya know, I just realized something.
    Why the hell am I going around on a public forum telling people that there is no magic qi trick to Dim Mak?
    Forget everything I've posted above!
    Dim Mak is indeed a super secret style that is only taught by albino monks in an invisible temple on top of a mountain that only appears in our dimension every 3.14159265358979 thousand years. Once you've mastered it, you can kill people just by poking their shadow with a jade needle and making all their qi reverse its flow, causing their organs to explode with disrupted elemental energy. I have fully mastered the Dim Mak style but I have been forbidden to show it to anyone. So, don't bother trying to learn it, and don't ask me to show you, because then I'd have to kill you.
    There. Now you all know the secret story of Dim Mak.
    Have a nice day.

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

Back On Topic

Other than Dim Mak and Mystical magic touches...

What other training or conditioning can make your WC gung fu more deadly?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Other than Dim Mak and Mystical magic touches...

Buying a gun and getting a concealed carry permit.

People are hard to kill. Look at the people in the military who get medals for bravery. They are often shot more than once and keep on going. LEOs will tell you about people who have been shot or stabbed and keep on fighting.

So, personally I don't worry about being deadly and just enjoy the workout.

Here's my answer
    What is Dim Mak? 点穴
    What does it mean? Touching points? Grabbing? Seizing? Striking?
    No answer at all. Just more questions, and attacking the questioner.

What my instructor does he calls chin-na.

What is Dim Mak? I think I asked first.

You seem frustrated about something. Good luck with that.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Which Wing Chun lineages don't allow grabbing with the thumb!
    I don't think any of them disallow it. A rule of, er, thumb, in many systems is that grabbing with the thumb does not allow for the fast switching of controls that allows threading arms, running hands, etc. And that you can catch your thumb on the opponent's limbs.

The grip is stronger (but only in certain directions, away from the fingertips) without the thumb.

Against a blade you want to grab that sucker so the guy has no chance of freeing it, twirling, whatever. If he can disengage from your grip he can cut you.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti

Doing more of it with higher intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Couch, I appreciate the offer.

I am a skeptic, not a fundamentalist unbeliever. Happy to be proved wrong, but it is taking a while.
    I hear you. I'm a skeptic first, believer second.

Prolly why I'm such a big pain the a$$. LOL
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels