Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Impressive Hung Gar Fist Form

Impressive Hung Gar Fist Form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0D2Q...eature=related

At least I am very impressed! Usually I am not a big fan of Hung Gar sets but this guy does it in a way that I like.

Anybody know anything about the dude?

It doesn't look like hung gar to me. It has more of a CLF flow and feel and even seems to have a slight northern influence with some of the kicks and sweeps.

Yeah, to me this totally looks like a form that somebody made trying to combine CLF and Hung Gar. The "way you like" is probably the fact that he's doing CLF!

Its the Hung Gar form known as Wu Dip Jeung (Butterfly Palm). And nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Its the Hung Gar form known as Wu Dip Jeung (Butterfly Palm). And nicely done!
    Hung Ga or Hung Kuen ?

Is the salute missing ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Hung Gar Lam Sai Wing branches practice this set. Not Hung Kuen. Although Hung Gar is sometimes called Hung Kuen, IMO, Hung Kuen refers to the Village stuff, outside of the Luk Ah Choi to Wong Fei Hung lineages.

Gar and Ga are the same Chinese characters. "Ga" is what my Sifu, Yee Chi Wai, referred to differentiate his Tang Fong system from other Hung Gar systems which generally descend from Lam Sai Wing.

Hope this helps.

As far as I see there is a salutation on the Youtube clip.

Quote Originally Posted by chusauli View Post
    Hung Gar Lam Sai Wing branches practice this set. Not Hung Kuen. Although Hung Gar is sometimes called Hung Kuen, IMO, Hung Kuen refers to the Village stuff, outside of the Luk Ah Choi to Wong Fei Hung lineages.

Gar and Ga are the same Chinese characters. "Ga" is what my Sifu, Yee Chi Wai, referred to differentiate his Tang Fong system from other Hung Gar systems which generally descend from Lam Sai Wing.

Hope this helps.

As far as I see there is a salutation on the Youtube clip.
    Yes, you are right, I missed the beginning part.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Hung Ga or Hung Kuen ?
    Is the salute missing ?

Same thing (in this case at least...) .

The performer is Hung Gar sifu Andreas Garski. As mentionned this is the Wu Dip Jeung (butterfly palms) set, which is not one of the standard "pillar sets" so not every lineage has it. If I recall correctly... I think was created by Lam family, either choregraphed by Lam Jo or one of his students(?)

This is a great demo. Personally I feel there's too much emphasis on tension in a lot of Hung Gar demos that are typically shown... but keep in mind the sets are dynamic, and they can be performed either fast or slow. BTW, CLF and Hung Gar are really alot more similar than dissimilar. Flipsides of the same coin, if you ask me.
    __
    "What is the sound of one hand clawing???" -- chanh buddhist proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mok View Post
    Same thing (in this case at least...) .

The performer is Hung Gar sifu Andreas Garski. As mentionned this is the Wu Dip Jeung (butterfly palms) set, which is not one of the standard "pillar sets" so not every lineage has it. If I recall correctly... I think was created by Lam family, either choregraphed by Lam Jo or one of his students(?)

This is a great demo. Personally I feel there's too much emphasis on tension in a lot of Hung Gar demos that are typically shown... but keep in mind the sets are dynamic, and they can be performed either fast or slow. BTW, CLF and Hung Gar are really alot more similar than dissimilar. Flipsides of the same coin, if you ask me.
    I have seen Hung Gar guys do sets with tension, no tension, combination of both.
    Depends what they wanna show or what they are working on and I am cool with that.

First of all....yes the salute is there!

Second of all...Wu Dip is a northern form incorporated into Hung gar so...

Third of all...maybe CLF has been doing it like Hung gar so...there...

Fourth of all............ I've seen CLF players I was none to impressed with so maybe it's more about the player than the system?

Fifth of all....I liked the smooth full body movements...in a completely straight kind of way

Sixth of all....he's a white dude...and he does it better than Chinese...not to say that just because your Chinese you are good at kung fu....that would be racist

Seventh of all....who said I like CLF ?

Eighth of all......I do like CLF...but I am doing Northern now...

Ninth of all.......did any of the comments really answer my question??? hmmmm?

Tenth of all..........I still like it....so there! HA I said ten things!

I liked the form as well it isn't played like most hung gar you see out there so I don't know how other hung gar people would react to it. To me it kind of reminds me how the Lau family (Lau Kar Leung) plays their hung gar. They do it a bit faster than most, which more resembles how we do our CLF, so I like it in that respect. Not being a hung gar person I don't know how they think their forms should be done so it is hard to comment in that respect.

- Hung Ga = Hung Kyun = Hung Ga Kyun

- the set - wu dip jeung ("butterfly palms") - was developed by Leung Winghang sifu, student of Lam Saiwing
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

i have always been a fan the putterfly palms form. one of my classmates from my old school is very good at performing it. he actually did it at wongs this past summer and despite it being one of his better demonstrations of it he was scored very poorly because the judges thought it was a northern set being done in a southern division.

my old sifu was dumbfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by iron_silk View Post
    Third of all...maybe CLF has been doing it like Hung gar so...there...

Fourth of all............ I've seen CLF players I was none to impressed with so maybe it's more about the player than the system?

Fifth of all....I liked the smooth full body movements...in a completely straight kind of way
    Haha, sorry if I stepped on any toes, didn't mean to. What I meant is pretty much what CLFNole said; it's played differently than most of the Hung Gar I've seen, and like much of the (good) CLF I've seen (Fifth of all....). That being said I thought it was cool, and I hope to see more Hung played like that!

Ninth of all.......did any of the comments really answer my question??? hmmmm?
    No I guess not. Sorry, but I can't help you here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0D2Q...eature=related

At least I am very impressed! Usually I am not a big fan of Hung Gar sets but this guy does it in a way that I like.

Anybody know anything about the dude?
    very good...all the drumming made him nervous and i love how he pulled out a WAHHH with the tiger claw at the end...he slipped half way through before the roll and kick, threw him off but he kept fighting...thanks for the link