Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bodhidharma's Influence and what Shaolin means to TCMA

well, still to this day it is all legend and tales.

There is an excellent treatise on Buddhism in China though by Kenneth Chen.
    http://www.amazon.com/Buddhism-China...6890013&sr=1-1

These kinds of scholarly works are much more valuable in understanding the history along with the oral histories as handed down in martial arts schools or among sectarian schools of buddhism in my opinion.

If you sort through it, you can find answers...sort of.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

In the end it's largely moot. Most of the history of Bodidharma's entry into Shaolinsi is oral, not written, as such it is most certainly subject to distortion. I've heard several different stories from several different sources all of which tell a slightly different tale.

What remains unchanging is:

Bodidharma brought Ch'an teachings to China by way of Shaolinsi.
    He meditated in a cave for 9 years.
    He (most likely) had a big, bushy beard.
    He (at the very least) brought a set of exercises to Shaolinsi.. though one memorable story I recall was that after his 9 year medtation his legs withered away to nothing. I doubt this is true.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    really, i see absolutely no reason why the shaolinsi sangha at that time would deny bodhidharma entrance. after all, they already had an indian monk as their abbot and another famous one was coming from buddhism's motherland. of course they would want to hear what he has to say- little did they know.
    During the Northern Wei, there were only a few great state monasteries like Shaolin among the thousands of other temples and monasteries. The monks who resided in these official establishments were selected and ordained by Imperial decree and required higher qualifications. Their supervisory clergy was appointed by the Imperial throne and accountable to it. Discipline and rules in the official monasteries tended to be strict. As a rule, a wondering monk would not have been accepted as permanent resident. Visiting wondering monks were allowed to stay in the guest rooms but only for a short time after being first interviewed by the Guest Perfect or one of his assistants. These interviews were done to determine where the visitor was in fact an ordained monk or a layman. Chan probably started out with the wondering yogi types – some monks, some not. Furthermore, as pointed out by Buddhist historian, Dr. A.W.Barber, during the "early history of Chan in China . . .many of the Buddhist masters had affiliations with monasteries but often were not members and it was not uncommon for them to stay in nearby huts, coves or caves and not in the monastic compounds.

ghostexorcist wrote: However, the idea of him teaching actual martial arts did not come about until 1907 with the publishing of the popular political novel The Travels of Lao T’san.
    This is not true. There are still a few old masters still around who began their studies in the early 1900's and who's teachers studied Shaolin martial arts during the 1800's. They passed on a very similar version of this legend. At the very least this legend predates the 1800's/1700's and most likely earlier.

r.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 03-15-2009 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r.(shaolin) View Post
    This is not true. There are still a few old masters still around who began their in the early 1900's and who's teachers studied Shaolin martial arts during the 1800's. They passed on a very similar version of this legend. At the very least this legend predates the 1800's/1700's and most likely earlier.

r.
    It is true. You are thinking about the Yi Jin Jing (1624), which attributes the qigong exercise to Bodhidharma. The first of two prefaces states after Damo's death, the monks of Shaolin discovered two qigong manuals written by the Buddhist saint. One manual was lost and the other was supposedly not translated into Chinese from Sanskrit until much later. However, the idea of him teaching specific martial arts did not come about until 1907 with the publication of the previously mentioned political novel.
    Last edited by ghostexorcist; 03-14-2009 at 01:14 PM.

Although in our tradition includes, Yi Jin Jing (易筋经) no specific mention is made of Bodhidharma concerning it. The legends of three other sets however do mention Bodhidharma. Although they do not say that he had any hand in developing these, they commemorate him and in that sense connect him to martial arts at Shaolin. These legends were found in documents from our lineage that have been around from the mid 1800's but probably earlier.

LUOHAN* MA DENG CAO 羅漢馬鐙操 (The Arhat Who Practices How to Mount a Horse)
    "When Bodhidharma (Da Mo ) came to Shaolin Si on Songshan Mountain, he noticed that many monks looked emaciated, and had swollen bellies and faces. The first Patriarch taught the monks of Shaolin Si exercises to strengthen their bodies. The younger monks, in particular, followed Bodhidharma’s instructions in training Qi. Within six months, those who practiced became much stronger and more energetic. When Bodhidharma was asked to teach more, he replied, “Practice twice what I have taught you each day”. As a result of this reply, a tradition was began at Shaolin to do exercises at the opening of the door of the training hall (禪堂-Chan Tang) when the chief instructor (開堂-Kai Tang - literally "The One that Opens the Class") enters before classes began. This is called Luohan Kai Men (羅漢開門), which means, Luohan Opens the Door."
    Note: *Luohan in this case refers to Bodhidharma

CAO FANG HUA 草訪花* (Grass Visits Flower)
    "When Bodhidharma first arrived at Shaolin Monastery the Guest Prefect asked him how he had come. Bodhidharma told him by floating on a blade of grass across the Yangtse River. The old Guest Prefect was suspicious, and so in the presence of other monks asked him with what method he had done this and wished a demonstration. Bodhidharma explained, “I am as grass floating. My visit to you is like grass visiting a flower. ”Grass is symbolic of Buddhism and the flower symbolic of China. The word flower also means an illusion in Buddhism and therefore the statement refers to the enlightenment of China by Buddhism. In order to come to China from India, Bodhidharma had to make the hazardous journey by sea like clouds and water. The trip took three years and the divine beings protected Bodhidharma on his journey. Bodhidharma was a scholarly prince of the priestly caste and trained in the martial arts. Bodhidharma founded a branch of Buddhism that focused on seated meditation at Shaolin Si and is regarded as the first patriarch."
    * In speaking to one student from the Wugulin, Zhang Qinghe's lineage did at one time have a set with this name as well.

LUO JIAO SONG SHAN 落腳嵩山 (Settling at Songshan Mountain)
    "When Bodhidharma first arrived from India in the southern capital, he met with Emperor Wu of Liang. The Emperor was an enthusiastic supporter of Buddhism and asked Bodhidharma whether he would like to live in China. After this meeting Bodhidharma journeyed to the capital of the Northern Wei, Luoyang. From there he went to Shaolin Monastery in the Songshan Mountains. At Shaolin Bodhidharma was asked who he was and his reason for coming there. His reply was, "I am grass that has come to visit the flower." The old Guest Prefect asked, “Where are you going?” "I plan to stay here, in the Songshan Mountains" was Bodhidharma's answer."

r.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 03-14-2009 at 03:23 PM.

Although in our tradition includes, Yi Jin Jing (易筋经) no specific mention is made of Bodhidharma concerning it. The legends of three other sets however do mention Bodhidharma. Although they do not say that he had any hand in developing these, they commemorate him and in that sense connect him to martial arts at Shaolin. These legends were found in documents from our lineage that have been around from the mid 1800's but probably earlier.

[...]

r.
    I have heard of the emperor's audience and the river-crossing episode before. But have the documents concerning his teaching of boxing to the monks truly been dated to the mid 1800's? I've found that martial lineages tend to claim to have documents that prove a legendary figure has connections to their art (I'm not accusing you of treachery, I'm just generalizing). For instance, practitioners of Eagle Claw fervently claim the Song Dynasty General Yue Fei was the founder of their art and that he had learned martial arts from a monk named Zhou Tong at the Shaolin monastery. However, Yue's family and state biographies only refer to Zhou Tong teaching the boy archery at his village and Eagle Claw is not mentioned at all. What a lot of people don't realize is that Yue was not connected to martial arts until the publishing of the Yi Jin Jing. The second preface of the book says Yue gained his legendary strength from learning the exercise from an unnamed Shaolin monk with magic powers. Martial historian Stan Henning (the source of the 1907 material) says the very first style linking itself to Yue is Xingyi and this came about with the publishing of a manual attributed to Dai Longbang in 1750. The manual states Yue learned spearplay from an unnamed master. Yue historically learned spearplay from Chen Guang, but I think this "unnamed master" plays off of the unnamed Shaolin monk from the Yi Jin Jing. Going back to Eagle Claw, I think Zhou's portrayal as a Shaolin monk also points to the unnamed Shaolin master.

I have also read that some internalists claim Zhou took Yue Fei to meet his friend who was a buddhist hermit. This hermit taught Yue "Emei Dapeng Qigong," which was named after a magic, demon-quelling bird that sat at the head of Buddha's throne. This is obviously a reference to Yue's 17th-18th century folklore biography The Story of Yue Fei. In the novel, the celestial bird Garuda (who sits at the head of Buddha's throne) is exiled from paradise for killing a celestial bat for (no joke) gassing during Shakyamuni's sermon. Garuda is reborn as Yue Fei. Years later, Zhou Tong takes Yue to meet his friend who is the abbot of a small Buddhist temple.

I don't know if you have read it or not, but Meir Shahar's The Shaolin Monastery (2008) discusses Bodhidharma's legendary connections to martial arts in detail. Another books is Brian Kennedy's Chinese Martial Arts Training Manuals: A Historical Survey. What surprises me is that some people on this thread are honestly still claiming Damo taught "exercises" to the monks when this was discredited as far back as the 1920's by Tang Hao. Shahar shows the monks historically worshiped King Jinnaluo (Vajrapani) as the progenitor of their arts.

I used to believe all of the martial legends floating around, but I've found the truth is otherwise with the help of scholarly publications and historical records.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostexorcist View Post
    Shahar shows the monks historically worshiped King Jinnaluo (Vajrapani) as the progenitor of their arts.
    vajrapani bodhisattva in chinese is "jīngāngshǒu púsà" (金刚手菩萨).

jǐnnàluówáng (紧那罗王) in sanskrit is king "kimnara".

dr. meir shahar writes in this article how the two have been confused.

CAO FANG HUA is a set of line exercises, correct?

Buddhidharma (Damo) did not Create Shaolin Martial Arts according to the late Shi De Qian:

Concerning this famous legend about Shaolin, according to the Shaolinsi Wushu Baike Quanshu, written by the late Shi De Qian, “After the [Manchu] Qing took over, there was fear among the government that the Han Chinese would try to revive the Ming and overthrow the Qing; on many occasions the government prohibited Buddhists, Taoists and common people from practicing martial arts. A few patriots who had the aim of restoring the Ming, yet did not dare to openly practice martial arts, in order to further their goal took advantage of the Qing government's faith in Buddhism and created the myth that Bodhidharma had created Shaolin boxing in order to deceive the government. They spread this story among the people in order to achieve the goal of being able to practice wushu and restore the Ming. Works such as Li Jing's preface to the Yijin Jing, "Shaolin Quanshu Mijue" (1915), Shaolin Quanfa Tushuo (1921), Secret of Tang Xianzu's Bodhidharma Style Boxing (Tang Xianzu Damo Pai Quan Jue, 1926), etc., all contributed to the propagation of this false belief that Bodhidharma had created Shaolin boxing; particularly the book Shaolin Quanfa Jingyi (1918), in which the author took Damo (Bodhidharma) as his name.”
    Furthermore, according to the Shaolinsi Wushu Baike Quanshu, “In recent years some monks and lay boxing teachers are unclear as to the origins of Shaolin martial arts and they pass on hearsay which states that Shaolin martial arts were created by Bodhidharma. Therefore they have added "Bodhidharma" to the names of certain routines, such as Bodhidharma Sword (Damo jian), Bodhidharma Staff (Damo gun), Bodhidharma cane (Damo zhang), etc. Actually, this is all unfounded and erroneous speech. Particularly, in the Republican era, books such as True Meaning of Shaolin Boxing (Shaolin Quanfa Jingyi), Secrets of the Martial Arts of Shaolin (Shaolin Quanshu Mijue), Illustrated Explanation of Shaolin Boxing (Shaolin Quanfa Tushuo), and the like have propagated this theory, spreading it abroad and contributing to misunderstandings. This kind of talk is very unadvantageous to those of us who practice and study [Shaolin martial arts which are] the transmitted teachings from our [Chinese] ancestors. In order to unearth the national treasures of our ancestral culture, and advance the tradition of Shaolin martial arts, we must reveal the true history, seek the origin, and by means of conclusive and irrefutable historical evidence inquire into and illuminate the relationship between Bodhidharma and Shaolin martial arts, thoroughly investigating and correcting this unfounded and misunderstood belief.”
    In the Ming dynasty, Cheng Zongyou visited Shaolin and documented in 1621 (one of) their staff fighting methods, in such works as Staff Techniques of the Chan Sect of Shaolin (Shaolin Gunfa Chanzong) and Shaolin Staff Techniques (Shaolin Gunfa), he did not make any mention of Bodhidharma practicing martial arts. Thus, one can see that, from the creation of the monastery in the fifth century up to the Ming dynasty, over 1000 years, the belief did not exist that Bodhidharma had anything to do with Shaolin martial arts. Other Ming period books on Shaolin methods also make no mention of animals fighting, Damo, Yijin Jing, etc.

First of all I'm not "claim(ing) to have documents that prove a legendary figure... ". I am pointing out that legends which reference and commemorate Bodhidharma and Shaolin martial arts pre-date, "The Travels of Lao Ts'an", "Shaolin School Methods" and "Secrets of Shaolin Boxing" Henning is talking about. My teacher (now in his late 90's) began training in the early 1920's (Shanghai). At that time his teacher was in his late 50's. My sigong began training sometimes in the 1870's. At the time my Shifu was in Shanghai, a master, who began training in the 1840's, from his Sigong's generation (originally from Henan) was still alive. These sets, set names and "legends" came from these older generations.
    The sets I'm talking about (羅漢馬鐙操; 草訪花; and 落腳嵩山) which reference Bodhidharma, pre-date 1904/1907. As well, Shaolin Shifu Liu Baoshan's (劉寶山) sets: 達摩劍 Damo Jian and 達摩杖 Damo Zhang – which also reference Bodhidharma, as well pre-date the 1904/1907 stories Henning refers to.

And yes our legends do mention Vajrapaṇina bodhisattvena mahasattvena (金剛手菩薩) and Ksitigarbha 大願地藏菩薩.
    . . . as with the above I'm not trying to prove that Bodhidharma or that these deities actually invented martial arts or martial sets :-)
    r.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 03-15-2009 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    CAO FANG HUA is a set of line exercises, correct?
    Yes - 5 lines.
    r.

Yes - 5 lines.
    r.
    is it like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB7n94_WT2s

R.;

I finally organized my books and found the LUOHAN MA DENG CAO book, it's like a set I learned when I was a kid.

I remember some years ago you wanted me to make a copy of this book, but I had moved and everything was packed.

You still want it?

Hi Sal,
    No its not.
    All it says is the set shown is a Shaolin single form (少林 單式)
    I'm I missing something? I don't see the name of the set shown.

R.;

I finally organized my books and found the LUOHAN MA DENG CAO book, it's like a set I learned when I was a kid.

I remember some years ago you wanted me to make a copy of this book, but I had moved and everything was packed.

You still want it?
    I'd love to see if its the same set. Possibly just scan a few pages if its not too much trouble.
    r.