Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Martial Arts Reality show

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...Final Fu[/URL] was significant because it was early and MTV (well, MTV2...) It was just poorly actualized, more from the minds of reality TV than martial artists. They really should have consulted more martial artists. But feel free to ttt that thread with a 'where are they now?' on the ladies.
    Early? Early for what? This show isn't even three years old.

Anyway for the MTV crowd it was probably just about right.

Was there an earlier martial arts reality show than Final Fu?

Time flies in reality TV. It only really reached popularity in 2000. American Idol only rose to dominance within the last half decade. Three years is a long time for the YouTube attention span generation
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Time flies in reality TV. It only really reached popularity in 2000. American Idol only rose to dominance within the last half decade. Three years is a long time for the YouTube attention span generation

That was like 9 years ago. I don't see much that's changed in the last three years other than reality shows not really trying to hide the fact they are scripted. I think they did a few reality shows where they got a house full of a dozen people, everybody became friends and nothing happened...of course those shows never made it on the air.

It amazing to me. Especially the way they have some of the women acting on those dating shows.

Final Fu

That concept of that show was sound and it was a great idea. The execution could have used some tweaking. For example, I never figured out how they could tally accurate scores during the "sparring" portions. Furious chain punching, body shots, kicks and the such and a magical number was awarded based on punches and kicks to certain parts. Of course, no head shots.

Not so much a reality show but who was around when WMAC Masters was on tv? :P
    Yeah, that show was scripted and the such but it had some talented guys there.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

I just read an interesting story about a reality show. In New York they had a casting call for a show called "Top Model"......10,000 people showed up, some waited in line for 12 hour and never got it, then the whole place just exploded into riot!

People should realize your chances of actually getting on a reality show from an open casting call are probably about 1 in 10,000. Even if you were something special can you imagine trying to judge something like that with thousands of people.

My friend was on a reality show. Her agent got her on. She went to four private auditions before she was chosen. Of course they had an open casting call but only to film it for the opening credits. No one from that casting call made it on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenshiite View Post
    Don't forget the BBC's Mind Body and Kick Ass Moves. That show was great.
    I loved the one with Yip Chun