Thread: Internal Arts question

Internal Arts question

I've been training in wushu for about 3 years, with various other martial arts experience in the past. Recently I've been considering learning some of the internal martial arts such as Xingyi and Baguazhang, but haven't been able to find a local instructor. There are numerous DVDs out there but I'm a little suspicious of this aspect because I'm worried about what sort of damage this could cause being internal arts. Can anyone give some insight into what could go wrong from learning Xingyi or Bagua from DVDs? Should they only be used as supplemental learning resources to use along side training from a real master? Thanks!

-Alex
    m0nk

DVDs' SHOULD be used an introduction and supplemental learning tool.
    To get the actual jibengong and shenfa, teacher is of utmost importance.

Copying movement is great performance art encompassing gymnastic and such relating to wushu. If you want usage, martial orientation and corrrect body adjustment based on the art then a teacher is still a major part of the equation!

Post where abouts you live, I am sure someone can help you find a good teacher.
    Almost every city has a tai chi school.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Thanks guys. I live in Camp Hill, Pa.

you should come out to the Gathering of the circle and get a weeks worth of training in with a whole collection of Jiulong Baguazhang players.

Its held in the catskill mountains not too far away from you.

Contact me for more info.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    you should come out to the Gathering of the circle and get a weeks worth of training in with a whole collection of Jiulong Baguazhang players.

Its held in the catskill mountains not too far away from you.

Contact me for more info.
    Thanks, but I'm a single parent and can't get away for that amount of time.

m0nk,

I think that it is a good thing that you have some background experience in other martial arts. IMO it can be helpful if you don't try and attach anything you are learning to what you have already done. Utilize your previous trainings' benefits like balance, better coordination, etc.

There are numerous DVDs out there but I'm a little suspicious of this aspect because I'm worried about what sort of damage this could cause being internal arts.
    I think that you can use a dvd to supplement some existing training, but not to learn from extensively.
    My best advice would be to find somewhere, even if it is a bit out of your way, learn from them and then supplement.

Best of luck!
    Chris

it looks like he just wants to ask about dvds and not learn from real people

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

how about in southwest missouri around the springfield/willard area? Seminars would be great as well.
    "Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."-Psalms 144:1

"I Am The Punishment Of God, If You Had Not Committed Great Sins, God Would Not Have Sent A Punishment Like Me Upon You"-Genghis Khan

"The light of the eyes is a comet, And ones' activity is as lightning, The sword that kills the man; is the sword that saves the man"

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    it looks like he just wants to ask about dvds and not learn from real people
    That's actually untrue. I've been learning Wushu from real people for over 3 years. It's just that lately I've had an interest in styles that aren't taught locally. I have, however, found a coach at my current school who will be able to teach me the styles I want, but not until next year's cycle begins. Right now they are tied up with teaching bajiquan.

There is no substitute to training with a real person.
    Finally Got my Sifu to share our Ngo Dac Na systematized training online.

You can visit us on Youtube

You can also find us at EnterShaolin.com

Who is teaching Baji in Penn? Must be wushu Baji, yes?
    Thanks
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com