Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martial Sports?

Martial Sports?

Instead of jumping on the MMA bandwagon, would it be possible to call this section "Martial Sports".
    I know we have the "Other Related Arts" section, but this would be a cool place for Judo, Shuai Chiao, mma, muay thai, san shou/san da, boxing, tkd, bjj, and sambo folks to shoot the bull or talk about technique.

I think the title of the forum being "Mixed Martial Arts" gives the feel that if we're not posting about UFC, Dream, or Strikeforce then posts of that nature don't belong. I would hope that it would generate some more traffic.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Hmmm, glorified kick boxing knuckle head MMA nutrider...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Hmmm, glorified kick boxing knuckle head MMA nutrider...
    actually, i'm proposing this because mma is starting to bore the pi$$ out of me...
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    actually, i'm proposing this because mma is starting to bore the pi$$ out of me...
    I have never been a fan of MMA sporting events.
    Training yes, competition, not so much.

I have never been a fan of MMA sporting events.
    Training yes, competition, not so much.
    Why?

A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    Why?

Well, to be honest I have never been a fan of watching any sporting event.
    Doing, HELL YES, but watching...nah..
    But I don't mind watch boxing and MT, or even wrestling and Judo.
    BJJ and submision grappling can get a tad boring at times, but you can admire the strategy and beauty of those sports.
    Not saying that MMA isn't all of the above, just that I find it a tad, well...amateurish.
    I don't like the typical players, don't like the anouncers all that much, don't like the image associated with it, don't care much for most of the fighters other than guys like GSP, Silva and Fedor.
    Basically, if I wanna see a good striking match I will watch boxing or K-1, if I wanna see grappling I will watch the ADCC or wrestling or judo.

Its just my personal view, that's all.

That's exactly my opinion on it.
    I think it'd be fun to do (at least till I got subbed); but watching not so much.

Occasionally you'll see a good exhibition of skill (anderson silva's muay thai, aoki's submission grappling, fedor's transitions, etc) but a lot of it isn't.
    I find sloppy wrestling to be a little too dominant.
    Not a fan of ground and pound either.

[EDIT: The attitude, imagery & advertising makes me want to vomit too.
    How many skull & pitbull shirts do you really need?]

Last weekend I was at an event and a guy from my coworker's gym shot a double from about 10 feet out. Either his opponent was no good, or he was in a 3 point stance - but he should've had his head taken off.

I would much rather watch a K1-max fight.
    It really irks me that we can't get a local muay thai event more than once a year, but we have mma fights once a month.

MMA is definitely popular.
    And to jump right in you need to be well-rounded or jack of all or whatever, and that makes for less technical proficiency in one area. I've been to live events and found it kind of boring...Thai or San Da make for a better spectator sport...especially live.

I hear you guys about the imagery...it's all just silly...thankfully I don't own any overpriced Affliction garbage.
    A unique snowflake

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    mma is selling stuff now...that's pretty much the final answer.

besides, isn't it a bit late to make the suggestion?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

This is the combat sports forum. We have discussions on full-contact Karate, BJJ, San Shou, etc...
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    This is the combat sports forum. We have discussions on full-contact Karate, BJJ, San Shou, etc...
    yeah, i just thought it would be cool if the name of the forum reflected that; instead of "RAAAWWRRR brand new forum for the modern warrior!!! and don't forget to buy the new Affliction gear, now with more GRIM REAPERS!!! RAAAAWWWRRR"

Oso-
    Mma is hot right now; yes, but looking at how watered down some of the UFC cards have been lately I'm not very confident that it's going to stay on top. Then again, with guys like CroCop & Overeem (not to mention a few Thais) leaving elite striking events to do mma full time, I'm not sure there will be any competition (outside of boxing) for those spectator dollars.

I'm with Sanjuro - I used to watch MMA all the time, but not really a fan anymore. I think the competition and the matchups have gotten better, but it just doesn't excite me like a great boxing match.

Speaking of which, did anyone see Juan Manuel Marquez Vs. Juan Diaz a couple weeks ago?

Fight of the god **** year.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    yeah, i just thought it would be cool if the name of the forum reflected that; instead of "RAAAWWRRR brand new forum for the modern warrior!!! and don't forget to buy the new Affliction gear, now with more GRIM REAPERS!!! RAAAAWWWRRR"

you ok, buddy? sounds like someone slipped you a few too many roids

where has KFM been pimping any gear except the small line of stuff they are stocking at MAM? the only thing i saw, threadwise, was the one about the dolls....geez, MMA fans like to play with dolls!!!!! there's some freudian shiat for ya! 'oh, man Rampage is a bad mofo...and look at this cool doll I have of him...oh, let me wipe that off...'

Oso-
    Mma is hot right now; yes, but looking at how watered down some of the UFC cards have been lately I'm not very confident that it's going to stay on top. Then again, with guys like CroCop & Overeem (not to mention a few Thais) leaving elite striking events to do mma full time, I'm not sure there will be any competition (outside of boxing) for those spectator dollars.

maybe, but, right now it's hot and everone is getting on the wagon for the ride

edit: oh, yea, just remembered Gene's thread about their line of generic mma shirts...sorry
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Well, to be honest I have never been a fan of watching any sporting event.
    Doing, HELL YES, but watching...nah..
    But I don't mind watch boxing and MT, or even wrestling and Judo.
    BJJ and submision grappling can get a tad boring at times, but you can admire the strategy and beauty of those sports.
    Not saying that MMA isn't all of the above, just that I find it a tad, well...amateurish.
    I don't like the typical players, don't like the anouncers all that much, don't like the image associated with it, don't care much for most of the fighters other than guys like GSP, Silva and Fedor.
    Basically, if I wanna see a good striking match I will watch boxing or K-1, if I wanna see grappling I will watch the ADCC or wrestling or judo.

I agree 1000%

On a second note- Did Gracie's Gi-only grappling challenge ever take off? He was trying to create a hybrid sport where the best Judo, Jiu-Jitsu, and Sambo guys could go at it with a rules-neutral approach that favored no art above the other.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I agree 1000%

On a second note- Did Gracie's Gi-only grappling challenge ever take off? He was trying to create a hybrid sport where the best Judo, Jiu-Jitsu, and Sambo guys could go at it with a rules-neutral approach that favored no art above the other.
    I don't think so, probably had the issue of time limits to overcome.