Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martial Sports?

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    maybe, but, right now it's hot and everone is getting on the wagon for the ride
    edit: oh, yea, just remembered Gene's thread about their line of generic mma shirts...sorry
    btw- i never meant to imply that Gene was acting like that, it's what mma implies these days - dudes with tons of tats, faux hawks, t-shirts 2 sizes too small, and an obsession for barbed wire, pitbulls, skulls, and cr@ppy music.

I'd be a lot cooler with the whole mma thing if it were taking the other combat sports along for the ride instead of trying to eclipse them. How cool would it be to go to an mma event and see boxing, muay thai, san shou, judo, and/or sambo matches on the undercard?
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    btw- i never meant to imply that Gene was acting like that, it's what mma implies these days - dudes with tons of tats, faux hawks, t-shirts 2 sizes too small, and an obsession for barbed wire, pitbulls, skulls, and cr@ppy music.

I'd be a lot cooler with the whole mma thing if it were taking the other combat sports along for the ride instead of trying to eclipse them. How cool would it be to go to an mma event and see boxing, muay thai, san shou, judo, and/or sambo matches on the undercard?
    The cards around here do that with Thai boxing, boxing, and MMA with any of the above being the main event.
    I'm hoping to get them to try and promote San Shou sometime within the next year.
    A unique snowflake

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post

i know, but, even so, TC and MAM has jumped on with 'mma' categories...but hey, the both make their money off of karate and tkd anyway...not 'us' ...but, that's good otherwise we would not have such a wonderful way to reduce productivity as this here place

what...surely you don't mean 'share' ?????
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    The cards around here do that with Thai boxing, boxing, and MMA with any of the above being the main event.
    I'm hoping to get them to try and promote San Shou sometime within the next year.
    They do that on the east coast too; I remember lots of mixed shows in Virginia.
    Out here, it's only mixed if it's not mainly an mma card; for example, last year they had a muay thai card, with an mma amateur title fight being the main event. It was sad too, the only fight where they went all out with a light show, smoke machines, and big entrance; people actually left during the slow-paced fight. Even on lean mma cards the only other event they have is submission grappling.

My other gripe is that mma has succeeded in the midst of lawmakers cracking down on stand up events. Look at the California situation. They can have amateur & professional mma, with bare elbows, no headgear, or shinguards. In the meantime, muay thai gets banned for a short time (till the Thai community bands together) and sanshou continues to be banned. Why do I dislike mma for this? Because they raised the amount of money lawmakers can expect for these type of bouts. In other words, they're the hot item, so anybody else has to pony up or get banned. Yes, this is more of an issue with corrupt lawmakers but the promoters in charge could push for the other rulesets.

Scott Coker over at Strikeforce started out with kickboxing cards. I think he's also done mixed events. He has an awesome opportunity to put some pressure on lawmakers to get the other events sanctioned. I don't know if he ever plans on doing mixed cards again, but Cung's in a unique position to whisper in his ear.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting