Thread: Chain Punching Army Style

Chain Punching Army Style

Chain Punching in the army (milling);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpAHB...eature=related
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    Not chain punching I’m afraid just an exercise used in the British Army called milling

why

Quote Originally Posted by Mano Mano View Post
    Not chain punching I’m afraid just an exercise used in the British Army called milling
    Whats the purpose of Milling?

Not sure what its exact purpose is, but I remember talking to a squaddie who said it was designed for an individual to demonstrate tenacity to his peers. I am sure it also has a dramatic psychological affect due to high levels of adrenalin and cortisol firing.

And to Mano... yes, well done for recognizing what appeared to be self-evident. I referred to it as chain punching, as they are punches... err, in a chain-like fashion...

I thought it was interesting considering the resemblance with the finale of the Wing Chun Fight Quest episode, which also involved punching without any apparent strategy involving, inter alia, timing, distance.
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Question?

Can you post a video of that fight quest video?

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wei Wu View Post
    Not sure what its exact purpose is, but I remember talking to a squaddie who said it was designed for an individual to demonstrate tenacity to his peers. I am sure it also has a dramatic psychological affect due to high levels of adrenalin and cortisol firing.

And to Mano... yes, well done for recognizing what appeared to be self-evident. I referred to it as chain punching, as they are punches... err, in a chain-like fashion...

I thought it was interesting considering the resemblance with the finale of the Wing Chun Fight Quest episode, which also involved punching without any apparent strategy involving, inter alia, timing, distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Can you post a video of that fight quest video?
    FFS. Check page 2 of the threads.

Topic: "Wing Chun on Fight Quest"

The only things i can see you building from milling would be tenacity and heart in the face of a lot of pressure.

This may answer your question:

http://stevemorris.livejournal.com/21547.html

I did milling for the first time in my pressure test at Kamon last december.

The pressure test was really tough both mentally and physically, it is done as part of the green 2 grading at our school.

It is a 3 hour grading, with a technical grading to start, with toe to toe sparring, chi sao and other technical wing chun, followed by 2 hours of non stop body weight exercise (which this time focused on the legs mainly, with burpees, christinas, lunges etc, press ups were a rest!).

Finally we got to do 1 minute rounds of milling against 2 different opponents.
    The whole pressure test is designed to test fighting spirit.

I'd never done the milling before, it was an experience. You can do hooks etc when the postion between you and your opponent changes, but straight punches are your bread and butter as they are direct and they keep the pressure on the opponent. The whole purpose of the drill is to maintain forward pressure whilst under heavy attack. It is not about defense or the art of hitting without being hit like boxing, it is about hitting your opponent whilst you are being hit back.

I didnt realise how long a minute could be until my second round! Time slows right down. At times it feels like what I can only describe as drowning, you tire, slow down a little, and end up on the receiving end of a lot of hits. You cant even see anymore. You can hear the encouragement being shouted from all around you. You have to dig deep and quickly and hit back to avoid it. You have to find the energy from nowhere. You have to keep the pressure on or you will be flooded and in trouble.

It was a great experience, and something that I didnt understand until I did it, and am glad that I have done it because of the lesson of the experience.

The only down side was a headache for 24 hours.

The plus side was I didnt have a single twinge or ache in my body (other than the headache) after the pressure test, which was a big relief, as I know that most people are in a lot of pain for the following week.

It was a big day for me and my training, something I am proud of where I learned about going beyond my everyday limits, which is I think the intention, about fighting spirit.

unfortunately thats what a lot of fighters from WC schools look like...despite having come from a prestigious lineage