Thread: RIP Mask from Tapout

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by SenseiShellie View Post
    speed limits in the OC though are around 50 mph...
    Not sure what your getting at.

It takes alot of velocity/speed to be able to rip a car in half, and I'd be interested if 50mph is fast enough to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ-Blue View Post

It takes alot of velocity/speed to be able to rip a car in half, and I'd be interested if 50mph is fast enough to do that.
    i don't think it was a street race gone bad. With the actual speed limit on that street being 50 mph, people normally go about 60...however, if the person is drunk, they could be going over that. it's a beach town, so there is moisture on the roads. I think it could be easily determined that this formula would work...

drunk person + wetish road + fast car + more than likely swerving into the opposite lane = other fast car getting forced off the road into lamp post and having car wrapped around it.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ-Blue View Post

it didnt actually rip the car in half down the middle... thats just sensationalistic bullsh!t the media says to sell a story... it was bad, but not that bad... you know how fast you need to go to split a car down the middle with a phone poll??? im willing to bet its not even possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    you know how fast you need to go to split a car down the middle with a phone poll??? im willing to bet its not even possible...
    I'm not sure how fast you have to be going, but I know it's possible. I'm a car guy so I visit my share of car forums, and I've seen more than a few pics of cars cut in half. My cousin actually ripped a car in half in high school, I actually saw that car in person and visited him in the hostpital while he was recovering.

I just read the article and asked the question about a street race. It had all the ingredients: speed, two cars admittedly side by side, and a loss of control. I admit I do my share of street racing, and thats one of the things I fear the most, someone beside me fishtailing while shifting and hitting my car while we are both accelerating at a high rate of speed.

As a cop, I have seen MANY car crashes. At 50 mph you would be surprised how much damage to a car can be done with a fixed object. I've seen the front end wrap around a tree and half crush an engine at 40 mph so at 60 mph, depending on the vehicle and where it collides, the damage could get pretty bad. But that all depends on the speed, road conditions and point of impact and the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung Apprentice View Post
    As a cop, I have seen MANY car crashes. At 50 mph you would be surprised how much damage to a car can be done with a fixed object. I've seen the front end wrap around a tree and half crush an engine at 40 mph so at 60 mph, depending on the vehicle and where it collides, the damage could get pretty bad. But that all depends on the speed, road conditions and point of impact and the vehicle.
    sure, weve all seen that... but have you ever seen a car torn in half right down the middle from a telephone pole??? i think not... ive seen front ends, back ends, roofs torn off, stuff like that... but never an end to end split down the middle... youd have to really be moving very VERY fast in a very poorly made car hitting a massively reinforced stationary object more like a wedge than a pole... and even then i cant see it happening...

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    sure, weve all seen that... but have you ever seen a car torn in half right down the middle from a telephone pole???
    So was the car torn in half to where you had a left half and a right half, or was it torn in half so you have a front half and a rear half? I'm confused.

And remember, he was driving a Ferrari. Those cars are built for speed, not safety. So they are built light, not heavy.