Thread: Poll: What percentage of hand techniques versus leg techniques do you use?

Hybrid View

Poll: What percentage of hand techniques versus leg techniques do you use?

Question is what percentage of leg to arm techniques do you use in a fight/spar etc?

I've been thinking about this for a while now after looking at a lot of youtube videos, and people in my classes that people seem to be very proficient with their hands and usually never use their legs.

most people except that wing chun is a southern style with some northern influences. Southerners prefer hands north prefer feet.
    "Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."-Psalms 144:1

"I Am The Punishment Of God, If You Had Not Committed Great Sins, God Would Not Have Sent A Punishment Like Me Upon You"-Genghis Khan

"The light of the eyes is a comet, And ones' activity is as lightning, The sword that kills the man; is the sword that saves the man"

About 20% legs counting just simple knees I would say.

Im about 70 - 80% arms 30 - 20% legs.

I find that i usually begin or end flurries with either kicks or elbows. These are my heaviest actions.

I tend to stomp the legs freestyle or when controlling arms which is more VT but its low usage in alot of my sprring cause its just not sportsman like...
    last time i landed a VT kick against my KB sparring partner he angered me with a real heavy thigh kick and i lost it a little and stomped the side of his knee dropping him.

He couldn't sparr for a week and was a little upset, and i was a quite annoyed at myself but also at the fact i have trouble training certain VT leg kicks because they are to damaging for sparring

Leg kicks are desructuve but body kicks are sweet so it tends to lessen my leg use and can tend to become more kickboxing IMO which aint good for VT guy

Lucky hes one of my best mates

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

70% hands
    30% legs

Almost all of those leg techniques are defensive in nature.
    My kicks are still too slow to be consistantly effective for offense.
    What do you call someone who practices Dim Mak on themselves?
    Dum Fuk!

Interesting so the consensus seems to be about 80/20. What is the optimal usage one should aspire to, do you think?

>lidell wrote:
    >He couldn't sparr for a week and was a little upset, and i was a quite annoyed >at myself but also at the fact i have trouble training certain VT leg kicks because >they are to damaging for sparring

man that sucks. So it would be better to practice on an inanimate object like the wooden dummy.

>Katsu Jin Ken wrote:
    >most people except that wing chun is a southern style with some northern >influences. Southerners prefer hands north prefer feet.

cool. The thing is there are kicks in our forms, in wing chun i mean. To neglect that is to neglect versality.

Quote Originally Posted by dnovice View Post
    What is the optimal usage one should aspire to, do you think?
    I believe hands and legs work together leading in and out of combo's so it should be around 60 - 40 IMO... closer towards even.

This ratio also changes IME as i get tired in sparring, sometimes its hard to keep the hands up so i try to kick more or i get smacked in the head LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dnovice View Post
    man that sucks. So it would be better to practice on an inanimate object like the wooden dummy.
    I cant use full force on the dummy and i never do because of my opinion as to what the dummy is for, for me its a VT protractor.

A heavy bag is my only other option which i dont have full time access to so.... and sparring is needed to really get better at the kicks so its a tough one IMO.

Since that example i used (a while ago now) ive been kicking softer to practice timing and range - which is working but - its no comparrison to just being able to launch a good stomp my inside kicks are getting better though.

Ying and yang and all that

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

most people except that wing chun is a southern style with some northern influences. Southerners prefer hands north prefer feet.
    And yet northern baji and southern mok gar somehow exist despite that

It depends

I try to practice at least each kick on both sides and also in yee gee kim yeung ma.

In a fight slash sparring match kick ratio depends...Usually I shoot for 70%/30%

But if its a guy good with his hands. I try to do 50/50 to confuse him. Like a boxer who never uses kicks. Or another Martial Artist who use his feet 10% of the time. I will use my feet equally with my hand to distract him from the bottom while attacking the top especially on the inside if I am good enough to bridge my opponent I will also cause some distruption by stomping the knee. check kick his shins while palm striking,chain punching elbow slashing etc etc. I will use traps and Jut Sau along with a kick. It really depends. Recently I been using kicks more with my friends who I spar with. But my WC peeps usually use the hands. Except for my Sihing. he loves to kick. We have kicking parties sometime for hours where we just work on kicks and kick sparring.

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    I believe hands and legs work together leading in and out of combo's so it should be around 60 - 40 IMO... closer towards even.

DREW
    i'm with you on this

when practising gwoh sau with my first instructor, i almost exclusively used a kick as an entry (partly because he like to too, and this covered my line)

attempt to use the forward energy to overpower and ever so slightly push the structure back, drop the knee onto his knee and there you have a safe,controlled takedown

didnt always (or hardly ever!) work perfectly - he taught me, not the other way round!

have never played gwoh sau with my new instructor yet. not sure if i'd want to...!