Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll: What percentage of hand techniques versus leg techniques do you use?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    Hah. You really need to pull that stick out of your ass.

My comment was on a comment on the ridiculous assumption that an art coming from southern or northern china somehow must have a hand technique or leg technique focus.
    Ok. Understood. But your comment diviates from the point of this post. So in this thread its, say it with me: "Useless." It helps no one.

The thread is called
    What percentage of hand techniques versus leg techniques do you use?

THE POINT OF MY POST IS THAT THERE IS NO SUCH STATIC PERCENTAGE!

Are you SERIOUS? Your poll doesn't even make any sense! It just invites the idiotic concept that there is some kind of "Correct" percentage.
    That right there my friend is what I am looking for. Your opinion on the matter. Thats it. Good job. how hard was it? I'm not implying anything man. Its a poll. I want peoples opinions and reasons if they can provide them. I don't say whether they are right or wrong man. All I ask is for a little contribution. Contribute and then do your discussion.

This is a DISCUSSION BOARD.
    If you don't want disagreements, then private message people.
    Agreed. So why don't we discuss the price of black sheep in Yemen??? Because its ultimately useless information.

sorry to come down harsh on you man. Ever since, I signed up on this forum I've witnessed a lot of spaming with no intention of educating. I'm not saying that's your intention.

Bro, I'm not saying don't discuss things... However when you provide nothing at all, that relates to the thread, and then bash someones opinion, you are spaming the thread.

cheers mate.

never thought

Dnovice, Wow, I never thought of coming to someone the way you did dnovice...funny stuff..

adrian k there are static numbers in gung fu. like weight distribution

Yee Gee KIm Yeung Ma= (50/50).

Forward Advancing Stance = (70/30).

Now you may not adhere to static numbers in your kwoon but the usefulness of your kicks will be dictated by your practice...If you practice kicks 30% of the time on your own. In sparring they will be as effective as you practice them. The more or less you practice kicks will dictate usefulness of kicking ability. Each kwoon is different. Now and days more WC schools are bringing kicks up to a higher level. Such as Kicking form,Chi Gerk, and practicing other kick sparring drills.

Excuse my ignorance...Adrian K but did you ever actually share your estimated static number?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    but the usefulness of your kicks will be dictated by your practice...

That right there is gold.

adrian k there are static numbers in gung fu. like weight distribution
    Weight Distribution being a static number is a concept to help you understand how to utilize certain physical templates.

In actuality weight distribution being a static 50/50, for instance, or 70/30, is a joke. Every movement we make changes that variable. Every time we make contact with someone, it changes that variable. You might start out in 50/50 at a single given millisecond, and you might strive to keep yourself in 50/50, but after that it is a constantly changing variable. You will never be able to maintain specific balance at all times, during a fight.

Now you may not adhere to static numbers in your kwoon but the usefulness of your kicks will be dictated by your practice...If you practice kicks 30% of the time on your own. In sparring they will be as effective as you practice them. The more or less you practice kicks will dictate usefulness of kicking ability. Each kwoon is different. Now and days more WC schools are bringing kicks up to a higher level. Such as Kicking form,Chi Gerk, and practicing other kick sparring drills.
    If you plan to use any concept in fighting, you should train it constantly and equally.
    You don't see boxers training hooks more than they do uppercuts, or jabs more than they do crosses. They train them equally because they have to use all of their weapons when they get in the ring, because they need to adapt to their opponent. Yes, there is a gameplan that gets favored in training, but professional boxers also have the ability to understand exactly who they're going up against. In real fighting, you don't. And you don't know what you're going to have to use, so you should be prepared to use everything you're good at, and not favor anything specifically, unless you have some kind of savant-like ability with it, like muhammad ali and his jab. But you're not muhammad ali so ya know, it doesn't really make sense for you to focus on something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Liddel View Post
    I believe hands and legs work together leading in and out of combo's so it should be around 60 - 40 IMO... closer towards even.

DREW
    i'm with you on this

when practising gwoh sau with my first instructor, i almost exclusively used a kick as an entry (partly because he like to too, and this covered my line)

attempt to use the forward energy to overpower and ever so slightly push the structure back, drop the knee onto his knee and there you have a safe,controlled takedown

didnt always (or hardly ever!) work perfectly - he taught me, not the other way round!

have never played gwoh sau with my new instructor yet. not sure if i'd want to...!

kicks

Excellent points. Numbers that are static change in actual fight. Including the repetitions of kicks you practice. Against certain opponents one will have to throw more or less kicks depending on fighter and sitituation.

Just because you train 30% kicks doesn't mean you will use that percentage of kicks in a confrontation. You may use more or less depeding on any given scenarios.

Weight Distribution being a static number is a concept to help you understand how to utilize certain physical templates.

In actuality weight distribution being a static 50/50, for instance, or 70/30, is a joke. Every movement we make changes that variable. Every time we make contact with someone, it changes that variable. You might start out in 50/50 at a single given millisecond, and you might strive to keep yourself in 50/50, but after that it is a constantly changing variable. You will never be able to maintain specific balance at all times, during a fight.

If you plan to use any concept in fighting, you should train it constantly and equally.
    You don't see boxers training hooks more than they do uppercuts, or jabs more than they do crosses. They train them equally because they have to use all of their weapons when they get in the ring, because they need to adapt to their opponent. Yes, there is a gameplan that gets favored in training, but professional boxers also have the ability to understand exactly who they're going up against. In real fighting, you don't. And you don't know what you're going to have to use, so you should be prepared to use everything you're good at, and not favor anything specifically, unless you have some kind of savant-like ability with it, like muhammad ali and his jab. But you're not muhammad ali so ya know, it doesn't really make sense for you to focus on something like that.