Thread: Quick Rant

Hybrid View

Quick Rant

Before I run off to conditioning, MT and BJJ.

So they started a Judo club where I work. We have a really nice gym and mat area, so this is pretty cool.

The guy who teaches it is a good guy. Actually pretty skilled from what I can tell. I CAN learn a lot from him.

But it's clear from being in his class that he's never taught a day in his life. This is new for him. He is definitely trying, but it's a learned skill.

He went out east to do some work related training, and while he was there, decided that he was going to completely change the class structure, such as it was.

I was thinking "Cool, more randori!"

He comes back and the first words out of his mouth are:

"The reason that Judo is so bad in the United States is because we don't do kata."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHH
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Sorry to hear that.
    I didn't actually know they had kata in Judo.
    A unique snowflake

you should totally behead his mother twice.
    where's my beer?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    they do have kata in judo-but it's not like kata in karate. It is the step by step execution of the techniques, and it is practiced hands on. It is a teaching and learning tool which leads to randori.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

GAH!!!! NO!!!!! Maybe once he sees his student base start to diminish you can politely inform him that the beauty of judo is the lack of kata and the hands on application of the techniques..... if you can stand it long enough to make it to that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Indeed, street fighting is not a sport.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

Some guys are into kata, some guys are into randori, some guys are into doing uchi komi's til they puke. If its his class, he can structure it how he likes. If it's not for you, find a dojo that is. That's just how it goes, but you already knew that, M.P.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon