Thread: Quick Rant

Quick Rant

Before I run off to conditioning, MT and BJJ.

So they started a Judo club where I work. We have a really nice gym and mat area, so this is pretty cool.

The guy who teaches it is a good guy. Actually pretty skilled from what I can tell. I CAN learn a lot from him.

But it's clear from being in his class that he's never taught a day in his life. This is new for him. He is definitely trying, but it's a learned skill.

He went out east to do some work related training, and while he was there, decided that he was going to completely change the class structure, such as it was.

I was thinking "Cool, more randori!"

He comes back and the first words out of his mouth are:

"The reason that Judo is so bad in the United States is because we don't do kata."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHH
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Sorry to hear that.
    I didn't actually know they had kata in Judo.
    A unique snowflake

you should totally behead his mother twice.
    where's my beer?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    they do have kata in judo-but it's not like kata in karate. It is the step by step execution of the techniques, and it is practiced hands on. It is a teaching and learning tool which leads to randori.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

GAH!!!! NO!!!!! Maybe once he sees his student base start to diminish you can politely inform him that the beauty of judo is the lack of kata and the hands on application of the techniques..... if you can stand it long enough to make it to that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Indeed, street fighting is not a sport.
    The street may look like it's just laying there, but its plotting, it thrives on people walking all over it, until it decides its time to strike !!

Some guys are into kata, some guys are into randori, some guys are into doing uchi komi's til they puke. If its his class, he can structure it how he likes. If it's not for you, find a dojo that is. That's just how it goes, but you already knew that, M.P.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

WD, Yeah, I know. But this is smack in the middle of my workday, and it's a legitimate excuse to get out of the office, and doesn't interfere with my other training :-)

Andy, plenty of Olympic gold medalists and world class judoka have never done a lick of kata their whole lives.

The real reason Judo isn't so hot in the United States is because we don't have a comprehensive system to bring people up in it from the time they are 7. I know a guy from Korea who was on the national team, and he started judo in elementary school, was good enough to go to a judo middle school, then went to Judo high, then Judo university. He basically has a degree in Judo.

Contrast that with the United States, insert three Judo federations, add in the attraction of major sports to good athletes, note the wrestling teams vs. Judo teams in high school, and you'll sort of see what I mean.

To top it off when you have people literally say things like:

"I went to the Olympic Trials and I didn't see any good Judo there....nobody was relaxed....the technique was lousy...."

And this from a black belt without any national or international level experience.

That's a no ****ter, and it's not the first time I've heard it. The rest of the world has embraced competitive Judo as the pinnacle of the art. Sure, there are a handful of naysayers, but that situation is ridiculous.

So, no, Kata is not the reason Judo is lousy in the United States, and it will not make me a better Judoka. That said, I will shut up and do what I am told in the class, because it's his class and not mine, and I will never undermine his authority by discussing any of this with any of the students.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

why don't you just randori with the guy.

if he trounces you, learn from him regardless of his method.
    if you trounce him, it is unlikely that there is a lot to learn there.

simple.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I ate Chipotle the other day and did kata in my pants
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

David, I have no doubt I would trounce him, but that's not really the point in my eyes. I don't have the same list/litany/catalogue of techniques, and I am CERTAIN that I can make anything he teaches me work.

But he has the knowledge I don't. I want it :-) And it comes in a convenient format and time during my day! And it's free!

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    i had to pick up more hot tubs after lunch today and did kata in my pants...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Is it true that any kata containing a cat stance was called a kitty-kata by the ancient monks of the judo temple who invented all martial arts?

This thread has totally gone to kata.

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    This thread has totally gone to kata.
    bout time too.
    Kung Fu is good for you.