Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: cross training style

robertwilliam Guest

No, Not a good idea

I don't think it's wise to cross-train styles of kung fu - applications and application of power are different, philosiphy, essence are different.
    Maybe crosstrain with weights, or run.
    I think you really need to be at a master level at one style before you add "a little of this and a little of this" together.

diego Guest

Robert triple 8

Hi im 23,study kajukenbo/hopga for the last 8yrsz.
    ka/karate-ju/jujitsu-ken/kempo-bo/chinese boxing:
    founded in 1949 hawaii palama district?....
    Five masters got together made a pact-formed the black belt society went on welfare for two yrsz hid out in abandoned buildings and tested all thier trix--boom kajukenbo was formed....now the system is a framework of streetfighting techniques built for the average american football player or shipman.
    there is about 5 styles biult on the original framework,such as wun hop kuen do!dacascos branch kajukenbo..etc.

Now what my mothers exboyfriend showed me is kajukenbo with a blend of hop gar and i think seven star mantis....my teachers teacher was killed in a nightclub....he had an illustrious lineage but his system was secret OR UNDAGROUND??..

so i was taught a bit of this and that;thru application and basic karate ma terminology.

i have all this home video and text
    now i am trying to figure out all the detials.

Thankfully through this forum i found a senior in my style.

i am seeking any info from wherever pertianing to my style bieng tha best 8)))))

for real i almost **** my pants when you wrote you study hung ga and 7*mantis
    basically i do what you do."""i read somewhere wong fie hung gave hopga the tiger claws and wong yan lam the hop ga master gave the long fists to hung ga-dont know if true but the link and similaritys between the two/just with chosen hand techniques........VERY SIMILAR.

I dont know how much buddy learnt however supposedly he was a pretty bad dude...I KNOW HE LEARNT MANTIS FROM A W.C.WONG IN SAN FRANSISCO
    AND HOP GA FROM NG-YIM-MING
    KAJUKENBO FROM THE MAIN FOUNDER ADRIANO D.EMPERADO....I AM REALLY SEEKING INFO ON MANTIS...

IF YOU COULD GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT IN HOW YOUR SCHOOL AND SIFU BRIDGE APPLICATION OF THE MANTIS&HUNG................simplee marvalous

RESPECTSZ

:cool:

robertwilliam Guest

Diego

Do what you feel comfortable with.I think the best way to test your skills is as one of Bruce Lee's teachers (specificaly Yip Man) supposedly suggested - get into street fights.
    One thing though - I didn't say that I blended Hung Ga and Mantis, I just said I trained in both - I have wrestled in HS,and did some TKD.Since most street fights end up on the ground or in a clinch, the most useful thing to me is wrestling.It's not like I would say "OK I'm in striking range so I'll use a redirect and punch and now I'm grappling so I'll perform a half nelson..." I dunno, I guess it all blends together.Just realize that everybody is different.A punch that connects well is still a punch if it's from a boxer,street fighter, mantis, well you get the idea.My Sifu(EARTHDRAGON) is who you want to direct 8 step mantis questions to anyway and Sifu Albright for the 7 * questions.I prefer to use my stepping skills nowadays to avoid people pounding each other whithout spilling a drop of my long island ice tea!

diego Guest

Thats totaly cool

one would definatly need the experiance in repitition and in application of two systems
    to formulate thier own...

there is a technique in kajukenbo/hopga:

agianst r punch
    shuffle to left side,rightparry at wrist & and left sunfist to rtemple;all done simultaneuosly in a heel adduction stance""thats the mantis""
    then the left fist hand does like a big huen sao circleinhand like wc wipe the arm away shuffle in in a side bowstance back heel down or up crouched or stretchd posture depending on intent--throw a r striaght to solar to knock out""thats the hopga""

now i was taught things like sowchoy with the terms of inverted backfist.......So i am trying to get as many email adresses to help me in my studies....i guess what i wanted to know besides just trying to get some penpals
    is the guy who made kajukenbo/hopga a reqiurement for black belt 5th degree in kajukenbo is i am pretty sure you have to take all the fundamentals of kajukenbo and with whatever your best trix from other methods you form your style from the system groundwork...NOT TO SURE but its something like that........

so basically i am in the process of trying to figure out the jings within this style i recieved... and to answer my own question unless your sifu who taught you mantis&hungga has his own private drills of application between the two respective arts and he wiats until both are steadily grasped......so the answer to my not to clear inqiury is in a scrap the strategies would just come out.........you guys dont blend just study simultaenously it would be cool if you could maybe take the time, and give a little discription, from your own practise! of the strategies coming together as one in say sparring.maybe an anecdote of strengths??..I am only asking for my inspiration towards my respective studies..no actual techniques just thoerys.......kindah like you could do a twist step elbow break with a upward elbow below opps then unwind into a horse and slam a tiger claw to his solar..........ITS A PRETTY VAGUE QUESTION
    ANY STORYS OR ANY THING WOULD BE GREAT((whiteboy accent added""peace

ohya is sifu albright online is that your sifu who teaches hungga aswell.......have you heard of w.c.wong sifu i thought i knew the name then i saw hungga sifu y.c.wong but wc still seems familiar???????????.