Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Happy St. Patrick's Day

HStPD 2012!

I've donned my broken Guinness lid and am almost out of here.

Be safe out there this Saturday everyone.

And make sure everyone else is safe too.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

ttt 4 2014

Sux when St. Paddy's is on a Monday of a very busy week.

I have a few Guinness talls waiting in my fridge at home and I can hardly wait to crack 'em....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Missed last year...

Happy St. Patricks! Turns out I'm wearing the same green 20th Anniversary staff shirt that Gigi decided to wear today.

LOOK: Great Wall goes green for St. Patrick's Day

Apparently refusing to be left out of the party any long, the Great Wall of China has turned green for this St. Patrick's Day.

China's most famous landmark joins others from across the world in going green as part of Ireland's Global Greening Campaign. Since 2010, the program has been a lifesaver for tourists who can never seem to remember what day St. Paddy's Day falls on.

Tourism Ireland ✔ ‎@TourismIreland
    Wow! We're thrilled that the beautiful Colosseum in Rome is joining our #GlobalGreening again this year
    3:20 PM - 16 Mar 2016 · Dublin City, Ireland, Ireland
    116 Retweets 164 likes

Paris joins our #GlobalGreening - the famous Roue de Paris in the Tuileries Gardens
    3:17 PM - 16 Mar 2016 · Dublin City, Ireland, Ireland
    29 Retweets 42 likes

Ethiopia joins our #GlobalGreening - the light rail system in Addis Ababa all lit in green!
    3:11 PM - 16 Mar 2016 · Dublin City, Ireland, Ireland
    45 Retweets 53 likes

Wow! @BurjAlArab in Dubai looks stunning all lit in green #GlobalGreening
    2:48 PM - 16 Mar 2016 · Dublin City, Ireland, Ireland
    50 Retweets 61 likes
    However, this isn't the first time that the Great Wall has been used for promotional purposes. Last year, 500 stormtroopers marched on the Great Wall to promote the release of the latest Star Wars flick. Seems to have worked out alright.

Good luck tonight, everyone.

[Images via Tourism Ireland]

Contact the author of this article or email tips@shanghaiist.com with further questions, comments or tips.
    By Alex Linder in News on Mar 17, 2016 9:15 PM
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2017

Save some GREEN! For St. Patrick's Day weekend, get 15% OFF site wide at MartialArtsMart.com with the coupon code 'PADDY2017'. Certain items excluded. Offer ends March 19, 2017 Midnight EST.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

MartialArtsMart.com did the same promo this year, but I forgot to ttt this thread.

That sales promo is over now. My bad.

But for the record, Powers mixes for the smoothest Irish coffees. Teeling's makes the most complex ones. And the Bailey's is superfluous.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

MartialArtsMart.com did not do the green promo for 2019

Plus St. Patrick's landed on a Sunday. Which made today hangover Monday for a lot of people, I imagine.

Nevertheless, I figured I'd ttt this, just for next year.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Happy St. Patrick's Day

#90 already? This is the first I've heard of it that I can remember.

I usually think of St Patrick's Day on March 17, not Traditional Chinese Medicine Day.

Chinese Medicine Day celebrated

Xinhua

March 19, 2019

SAN FRANCISCO- More than 500 Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) practitioners, including representatives from China and North California Chinese Medicine communities, held an event to observe the 90th Chinese Medicine Day in downtown San Francisco Sunday evening. The celebration of the event, which falls on March 17, focused on the main theme of carrying on the heritage of TCM.

Chinese Consul General in San Francisco Wang Donghua said TCM reflects a wealth of important experience and wisdom that the Chinese people have accumulated in practice for more than 1,000 years.

“TCM provides a holistic approach in the diagnosis and treatment of illness by addressing the root cause,” he said, calling TCM a treasure of the brilliant Chinese civilization and part of the valuable assets of world medicine.

TCM is also an important carrier of the cultural exchanges between China and other countries, including the United States, Wang said.

The annual celebration of Chinese Medicine Day is an important platform to promote exchanges, friendship, and understanding between Chinese and American people, Wang told a jubilant crowd of TCM practitioners, scholars, and entrepreneurs in TCM industry.

Hu Jun, president of American Association of Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture, the celebration is to commemorate the predecessors of TCM practitioners for their “immortal feat” in defending the heritage of Chinese medicine.

“Chinese medicine originates from China. When it ventures abroad, it has become the wealth of all ethnic groups in the world,” she said.

Hu urged the TCM communities to constantly absorb new knowledge of medical science of other ethnic groups in the United States, so that TCM can be better integrated into the U.S. multi-cultural society.

Rebecca Kadaga, Speaker of the Ugandan Parliament early last month said learning the Chinese language would open up opportunities for locals to work in Chinese companies and also do business in China.

“I am encouraging Ugandans to learn more languages, specifically the Chinese, because we have many Chinese investors in the country who will need translators as they carry on their businesses in the country,” Kadaga said.

“I am focusing on Chinese language because I know Chinese are here to offer our people jobs and people who know their language will be the first people to have those jobs,” she added.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'll toast Ireland next week, like I always do now.

SF already cancelled this year's St. Patrick's Day parade, which is a big deal around here.

Coronavirus: Cork City cancels St Patrick's Day parade as Mary Lou says Dublin cancellation is 'inevitable'
    A number of other parades across the country have been postponed or cancelled.
    8 hours ago

St Patrick's Day in Dublin last year. St Patrick's Day in Dublin last year.

Image: Sam Boal/RollingNews.ie
    Updated 21 minutes ago

CORK CITY HAS cancelled its St Patrick’s Day parade while Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald has said she thinks it’s “inevitable” that the parade in Dublin will not go ahead.

In Sligo, organisers have confirmed the town would also be cancelling its parade this afternoon, citing guidelines from health authorities.

“The health and well-being of our community is our first priority and having reviewed the guidelines from the HSE and the uncertainty surrounding the Covid-19, the committee feel it is appropriate to cancel this years event,” Finbarr Filan, the chairperson of Sligo’s St Patrick’s Day committee, said in a statement.

It was announced this afternoon that the Cork City St Patrick’s parade would be cancelled.

On Friday, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said “there is no recommendation to cancel mass gatherings at this stage” amid global concerns about coronavirus.

No official decision has yet been made on the 17 March festivities but Health Minister Simon Harris has said this morning that ‘clarity’ on this should be expected within 48 hours.

Cancelled and postponed

The Wicklow town St Patrick’s parade has been cancelled, the committee announced in a statement earlier.

The parade was cancelled in the interest of public health and safety. The committee said it “did not make this decision lightly”.

Other parades have been cancelled or postponed:

Mallow, Co Cork
    Churchtown, Co Cork
    Kealkill, Co Cork
    Greystones, Co Wicklow
    Newbridge, Co Kildare
    Castlegregory, Co Kerry
    Mountmellick, Co Laois (called the Boglands Festival)

The parade in Durrow, Co Laois has also been cancelled this year, but out of respect for the passing of the committee’s treasurer, a community group said on Facebook.

Carlow TD Jennifer Murnane O’Connor has called on organisers of the Carlow parade to postpone due to coronavirus fears, Carlow Live reports.

Clare TD Cathal Crowe said he believes it is “imperative” that large public events and gatherings such as St Patrick’s Day parades should be “cancelled in the interest of public health”.

Speaking on RTÉ’s Today with Seán O’Rourke programme, Mary Lou McDonald said “steady and determined leadership” was needed.

“I’m very glad to hear the indication from the Six Nations that the matches are going to be postponed until the autumntime. I think that is a very wise and responsible thing to do. I think there is an ongoing conversation across the land about St. Patrick’s Day and parades, we need a decision on that. It seems to me inevitable that the parade will be postponed, again my personal view is that that is the responsible and necessary thing to do,” the Dublin Central TD said.

Not to create panic but on the contrary, to assurances to people that there is steady and determined leadership and that we are prepared to take the necessary actions to keep people safe.

French media are reporting that the Six Nations rugby match scheduled for this coming weekend is set to be postponed.

In Dublin City Council, Independent councillors Christy Burke and Anthony Flynn are tabling a motion at an emergency meeting of Dublin City Council this morning for the Dublin parade to be cancelled indefinitely.

The St Patrick’s parade in Maynooth has been postponed to minimise the spread of Covid-19, it was confirmed today.

“We intend to run the 2020 parade later in the year when it is deemed to be safe and that the spread of Covid-19 has ceased,” chair of the Maynooth St Patrick’s Day Parade Committee and county councillor Naoise Ó Cearúil said in a statement.

The planned parade in Youghal, Co Cork was cancelled last week.

Speaking last night, Burke said the fear among members of the people is “unbelievable”.

“My phone is ringing non-stop with concerned people over the spread of the coronavirus – especially over the past 48 hours. Cllr Flynn and I believe we will have the full backing of our motion by all councillors on Tuesday. Taoiseach Leo Varadkar needs to finally listen to people on this and the feelings out there,” he said.

“The public don’t want the parade to go ahead as people are going to be 20 deep and in close quarters trying to view it. It also makes its way from Parnell Square in the north of the city down to the south-side.”

“I’ve had people coming to be telling me they are leaving the city to get away from crowds of people for a few days,” Burke said. “It’s not about saving face any longer and the might of big business – it’s about people’s lives and health and safety. Ordinary people are scandalised that the government don’t seem to be taking this situation more seriously.

Burke said that “people want to see spray machines in public and to see the government more hands-on”.

“Our European counterparts are taking the coronavirus crisis very seriously and we as a nation need to take a more serious note out their books.”

With reporting from Dominic McGrath, Céimin Burke and Orla Dwyer
    THREADS
    COVID-19
    Happy St. Patrick's Day
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2020

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2021

In honor of St. Patrick's Day...

Ireland's First Martial Arts Movie Is Gloriously Bad
    Despite its lack of quality, Fatal Deviation has become an Irish cult classic.

BY SIMON BOEHM
    PUBLISHED 2 DAYS AGO

Sometimes a movie is so outrageously bad that it gains a cult following among movie buffs. Many of those movies are produced by amateurs with no budget and the goal of getting a foot in the Hollywood door. The most famous example of this is probably The Room (2003), Tommy Wiseau’s anti-masterpiece. And while the movie is undoubtedly bad in all aspects, it is still somewhat professionally shot and produced thanks to a $6 million budget. Other films, unfortunately, don't even have a large budget to fall back on. One movie for that category is Fatal Deviation (1998), Ireland’s first – and probably only – Martial Arts movie ever. What is even more fascinating than its truly abysmal quality is the story behind it.

Prior to making Fatal Deviation, James P. Bennett was a farmer. At 22 years old, his dream was to follow in the footsteps of Jean-Claude Van Damme – his childhood hero – and other action stars. “Right now you think Schwarzenegger, Stallone, and Jean-Claude. In a couple of years I see Jean-Claude and myself,” he said in an interview for the Irish program Nationwide in 1998.

Fatal Deviation ended up costing reportedly just under I£R 9,000 and it shows. As James Bennett – essentially the movie’s Tommy Wiseau as co-producer, co-writer, co-director (alongside Shay Casserley, who had previously only shot wedding videos, and Simon Linscheid, an Olympic bobsledder), fight scene choreographer, and protagonist – stated in a 2018 interview: “I got it off the ground by just simply starting to shoot it without having any funding in place so I just pulled in all my friends and people I knew and I was very lucky that they were all obliging enough to help me.”

Those people included his trainer Alan Heary (the balding gang member in the Londis scene) and, of all people, Mike Graham from “the rock band Boy Zone (sic!),” as the credits say. For what it is worth, Mikey is the best actor of the entire cast, which also includes Michael Regan, an older man without any acting experience who plays the gang’s boss. His bizarre delivery of every line is a source of great, unintentional comedy.

The plot is not much better. Bennett plays Jimmy Bennett, who returns home to Trim to find his purpose in life and find out who killed his father when Jimmy was a young boy. He quickly learns that a gang of drug dealers is terrorizing his hometown when two members harass a young, female employee at the local Londis. Jimmy beats them up and begins dating a woman named Nicola.

This creates another problem: Nicola is also Mikey’s love interest. Mikey is the son of the local drug lord and the second in command. As a local karate tournament is coming closer, Mikey kidnaps Nicola and sends a clear message to Jimmy: “loose (sic!) or else.” Jimmy begins to train under the tutelage of a mysterious Franciscan monk -- a clear, unintentionally hilarious reference to the mentorship role of Shaolin monks in Asian martial arts movies.

Jimmy goes on to win the tournament by beating the cartel’s hitman, Seagull, in the final with the “fatal deviation” move. He then goes on to save Nicola. On his way to Mikey’s home, he unintentionally crashes his car in the movie’s only stunt. This stunt was never planned but kept in after it became obvious that Bennett was okay.

Bennett goes on to rescue Nicola and kill Mikey. Finally, seeking revenge for his son, Loughlan seeks out Jimmy during a picnic with Nicola and attempts to kill him. Jimmy however turns the tide and ends up killing the old man, hence ending the gang’s hold over Trim.

Although Bennett never reached the heights of Schwarzenegger or Stallone – or even Van Damme for that matter – he did make his way to Hollywood only a couple of years after Fatal Deviation. He appeared, although uncredited, in The Lone Ranger (2013) and Jersey Boys (2014). More importantly, he appeared in four movies alongside his childhood hero, Van Damme: Swelter (2014), Kill Em All (2017), Kickboxer: Retaliation (2018) and Black Water (2018). According to Bennett, the two have become good friends and training partners.

The movie has gained a cult following, especially in recent years, thanks to a number of prominent Youtube reviews. As terrible as it is, Fatal Deviation did its job by opening the door to Hollywood for Bennett. In some ways, it also edged his legacy into movie history, even if it is just as the mastermind of Ireland’s first and probably only Martial Arts movie and one of the worst commercial movies ever made.
    I confess that this review makes me want to see this... anyone see it?

threads
    Happy-St-Patrick-s-Day
    Fatal Deviation
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Happy St. Patricks! Turns out I'm wearing the same green 20th Anniversary staff shirt that Gigi decided to wear today.
    Aye! I love star wars and I am a die-hard fan of it. I'm glad they make a march on the Great wall of China.

ttt42023

Missed last year. Musta been too deep in the whiskey already...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt42024

Sláinte!!!!!!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips