Thread: Happy St. Patrick's Day

Hybrid View

Happy St. Patrick's Day

For all my fellow Celts and for all the one-day-a-year Celts Happy St. Patricks Day.

Now celebrate it properly and kick an orangeman in the head!
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Being a Jew in an Irish Neighborhood,
    (ok, I'm in the Latino area, but it borders on the Irish part)

I will celebrate by having Corned Beef and Cabbage...on Rye.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

god i love corn beef. cant wait to eat some today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Here we celibrate by kicking roundheads in the nutz. As a Pizza bagel and a Green bagel I stay out of it. Happy St. Paddy's day!

Ah, St.Patty's day...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Even the goths like St.Patty...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

HStPD 2012!

I've donned my broken Guinness lid and am almost out of here.

Be safe out there this Saturday everyone.

And make sure everyone else is safe too.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Happy St. Patrick's Day

#90 already? This is the first I've heard of it that I can remember.

I usually think of St Patrick's Day on March 17, not Traditional Chinese Medicine Day.

Chinese Medicine Day celebrated

Xinhua

March 19, 2019

SAN FRANCISCO- More than 500 Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) practitioners, including representatives from China and North California Chinese Medicine communities, held an event to observe the 90th Chinese Medicine Day in downtown San Francisco Sunday evening. The celebration of the event, which falls on March 17, focused on the main theme of carrying on the heritage of TCM.

Chinese Consul General in San Francisco Wang Donghua said TCM reflects a wealth of important experience and wisdom that the Chinese people have accumulated in practice for more than 1,000 years.

“TCM provides a holistic approach in the diagnosis and treatment of illness by addressing the root cause,” he said, calling TCM a treasure of the brilliant Chinese civilization and part of the valuable assets of world medicine.

TCM is also an important carrier of the cultural exchanges between China and other countries, including the United States, Wang said.

The annual celebration of Chinese Medicine Day is an important platform to promote exchanges, friendship, and understanding between Chinese and American people, Wang told a jubilant crowd of TCM practitioners, scholars, and entrepreneurs in TCM industry.

Hu Jun, president of American Association of Chinese Medicine and Acupuncture, the celebration is to commemorate the predecessors of TCM practitioners for their “immortal feat” in defending the heritage of Chinese medicine.

“Chinese medicine originates from China. When it ventures abroad, it has become the wealth of all ethnic groups in the world,” she said.

Hu urged the TCM communities to constantly absorb new knowledge of medical science of other ethnic groups in the United States, so that TCM can be better integrated into the U.S. multi-cultural society.

Rebecca Kadaga, Speaker of the Ugandan Parliament early last month said learning the Chinese language would open up opportunities for locals to work in Chinese companies and also do business in China.

“I am encouraging Ugandans to learn more languages, specifically the Chinese, because we have many Chinese investors in the country who will need translators as they carry on their businesses in the country,” Kadaga said.

“I am focusing on Chinese language because I know Chinese are here to offer our people jobs and people who know their language will be the first people to have those jobs,” she added.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'll toast Ireland next week, like I always do now.

SF already cancelled this year's St. Patrick's Day parade, which is a big deal around here.

Coronavirus: Cork City cancels St Patrick's Day parade as Mary Lou says Dublin cancellation is 'inevitable'
    A number of other parades across the country have been postponed or cancelled.
    8 hours ago

St Patrick's Day in Dublin last year. St Patrick's Day in Dublin last year.

Image: Sam Boal/RollingNews.ie
    Updated 21 minutes ago

CORK CITY HAS cancelled its St Patrick’s Day parade while Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald has said she thinks it’s “inevitable” that the parade in Dublin will not go ahead.

In Sligo, organisers have confirmed the town would also be cancelling its parade this afternoon, citing guidelines from health authorities.

“The health and well-being of our community is our first priority and having reviewed the guidelines from the HSE and the uncertainty surrounding the Covid-19, the committee feel it is appropriate to cancel this years event,” Finbarr Filan, the chairperson of Sligo’s St Patrick’s Day committee, said in a statement.

It was announced this afternoon that the Cork City St Patrick’s parade would be cancelled.

On Friday, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said “there is no recommendation to cancel mass gatherings at this stage” amid global concerns about coronavirus.

No official decision has yet been made on the 17 March festivities but Health Minister Simon Harris has said this morning that ‘clarity’ on this should be expected within 48 hours.

Cancelled and postponed

The Wicklow town St Patrick’s parade has been cancelled, the committee announced in a statement earlier.

The parade was cancelled in the interest of public health and safety. The committee said it “did not make this decision lightly”.

Other parades have been cancelled or postponed:

Mallow, Co Cork
    Churchtown, Co Cork
    Kealkill, Co Cork
    Greystones, Co Wicklow
    Newbridge, Co Kildare
    Castlegregory, Co Kerry
    Mountmellick, Co Laois (called the Boglands Festival)

The parade in Durrow, Co Laois has also been cancelled this year, but out of respect for the passing of the committee’s treasurer, a community group said on Facebook.

Carlow TD Jennifer Murnane O’Connor has called on organisers of the Carlow parade to postpone due to coronavirus fears, Carlow Live reports.

Clare TD Cathal Crowe said he believes it is “imperative” that large public events and gatherings such as St Patrick’s Day parades should be “cancelled in the interest of public health”.

Speaking on RTÉ’s Today with Seán O’Rourke programme, Mary Lou McDonald said “steady and determined leadership” was needed.

“I’m very glad to hear the indication from the Six Nations that the matches are going to be postponed until the autumntime. I think that is a very wise and responsible thing to do. I think there is an ongoing conversation across the land about St. Patrick’s Day and parades, we need a decision on that. It seems to me inevitable that the parade will be postponed, again my personal view is that that is the responsible and necessary thing to do,” the Dublin Central TD said.

Not to create panic but on the contrary, to assurances to people that there is steady and determined leadership and that we are prepared to take the necessary actions to keep people safe.

French media are reporting that the Six Nations rugby match scheduled for this coming weekend is set to be postponed.

In Dublin City Council, Independent councillors Christy Burke and Anthony Flynn are tabling a motion at an emergency meeting of Dublin City Council this morning for the Dublin parade to be cancelled indefinitely.

The St Patrick’s parade in Maynooth has been postponed to minimise the spread of Covid-19, it was confirmed today.

“We intend to run the 2020 parade later in the year when it is deemed to be safe and that the spread of Covid-19 has ceased,” chair of the Maynooth St Patrick’s Day Parade Committee and county councillor Naoise Ó Cearúil said in a statement.

The planned parade in Youghal, Co Cork was cancelled last week.

Speaking last night, Burke said the fear among members of the people is “unbelievable”.

“My phone is ringing non-stop with concerned people over the spread of the coronavirus – especially over the past 48 hours. Cllr Flynn and I believe we will have the full backing of our motion by all councillors on Tuesday. Taoiseach Leo Varadkar needs to finally listen to people on this and the feelings out there,” he said.

“The public don’t want the parade to go ahead as people are going to be 20 deep and in close quarters trying to view it. It also makes its way from Parnell Square in the north of the city down to the south-side.”

“I’ve had people coming to be telling me they are leaving the city to get away from crowds of people for a few days,” Burke said. “It’s not about saving face any longer and the might of big business – it’s about people’s lives and health and safety. Ordinary people are scandalised that the government don’t seem to be taking this situation more seriously.

Burke said that “people want to see spray machines in public and to see the government more hands-on”.

“Our European counterparts are taking the coronavirus crisis very seriously and we as a nation need to take a more serious note out their books.”

With reporting from Dominic McGrath, Céimin Burke and Orla Dwyer
    THREADS
    COVID-19
    Happy St. Patrick's Day
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2020

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips