Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Happy St. Patrick's Day

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I think it's the goyim version of Purim, which just took place last weekend.
    During Purim, you party and get drunk.
    "A person is obligated to become inebriated on Purim until he doesn't know the difference between "cursed is Haman" and "blessed is Mordechai." (Talmud Megillah 7b)"
    you know how the Jewish and Gentile and Pagan holidays all coincide.
    I'm sure, somewhere there are wiccans making offerings to Pan, or Dionysus, or Hepititus, or some god of decadance and debauchery.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Of course St. Patrick himself was probably a hardcore ascetic. Early Irish Catholicism was marked by such extremes of ascetic practice that it nearly caused a schism within the Catholic church.

Examples of religious devotion included stripping naked, wading into a river and standing with arms outstretched in a curciform for hours.

So he would not probably be very happy with the idea of HIS feat day being a drunk up.

But I'm not catholic so I don't care.

30 minutes until beer!
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Yaaay!

Beer Time!
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Slainte!

I take the day off every year. St Pat wasn't even Irish. His name wasn't even Patrick (Pedraig). He was a patrician hence St. Patrick.
    The actual getting drunk and celebrating is an American thing. Only within the past 20 yrs or so has Ireland even had a parade. Otherwise the day is actually quite sullen over there. If anything, the way we celebrate it now is more a celebration of pagan past, fighting and fornicating, good times.
    My tab was $110.00. It's good this is only once a year, although they should really move it to the closest Friday.

I've been battling the dreaded hangover all morning.

Water, exercise, oily food, more water, and a cup of coffee later I'm feeling OK.

But my morning run was hellish.
    Simon McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    I've been battling the dreaded hangover all morning.

Water, exercise, oily food, more water, and a cup of coffee later I'm feeling OK.

But my morning run was hellish.
    You ain't training if it ain't raining.

Raining hangover that is...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

LOL True.
    Simon McNeil

used to be in the yookay, but now in my own little world.
    Of course St. Patrick himself was probably a hardcore ascetic. Early Irish Catholicism was marked by such extremes of ascetic practice that it nearly caused a schism within the Catholic church.

Examples of religious devotion included stripping naked, wading into a river and standing with arms outstretched in a curciform for hours.

So he would not probably be very happy with the idea of HIS feat day being a drunk up.

30 minutes until beer!
    St Patrick wasn’t Catholic either.

30 minutes until beer!
    I think that back in the day, people did these whack job things simply because they had no tv.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

No tv and no beer make homer something something.
    Simon McNeil

It has come to my attention that due, to political/religious correctness, St. Patrick's Day will now be referred to as Shamrock Day!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mano Mano View Post
    St Patrick wasn’t Catholic either.
    well, he's in good company, as I understand neither was the "founder"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    It has come to my attention that due, to political/religious correctness, St. Patrick's Day will now be referred to as Shamrock Day!!
    stop furthering your anarchic agenda here, Brown! Sow your discord elsewhere...

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    In my neck'o the woods, St Patty's day is on Sunday. Huntington village is mostly Irish, and there are two bars one every block. They close off the streets for the party.....and set up DWI stops at every street leaving the town.
    Being a motorcycle rider, I don't even go out on the roads this weekend.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    stop furthering your anarchic agenda here, Brown! Sow your discord elsewhere...
    I say and Nyahh, Nyahh, Nya, Nya Nyahhh!!