Thread: Wing Chun and The root

Hybrid View

Wing Chun and The root

I hear alot talk about other arts on WC forums boards. But I wanted to start a non-confrontational thread for all WC practioners who study wing chun.

My Question is concerning a root. In many arts one must have strong root to develop and emit proper power from ground up. I was woundering if you Sifu has also shared with you about the root found in WC. Do you practice training your root? or do you think having a root is useless in an actual fight?

Whats your opinion?

Its not even a question, without root there is no wing chun.

If people intend to fight like trees I'll just bring my axe.

Seriously sacrificing mobility is suicidal in a close-range striking system.

As a result "rooting" should never involve actually fixing yourself in place. Only generating whole body power within a dynamic setting.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

seriously sacrificing root at close range is suicidal, close range gives you less time or room to move so the more you need your body and the root from the ground to give you power, also you can be mobile and still have root, you only need it when hitting or being hit, and if you think your not going to get hit at close range you are mistaken.

Root is an analogy to help junior to understand dynamic holistic power generation that firmly supported. It was carried out of proportion and become totally misleading.

Root, there is no root in advance TCMA.

as it said in the ancient scripture, Yong Chuan (the kidney point 1 part of the feet) is not root. Waist is not the master, the spine similar to willow with thousand flexible sections, a single hand spread out it becomes a thousand hand.

The issue of today's WCK is people keep defining "THIER" practice as WCK. Which is most of the time distorted big time.

and the saga continous until everyone is tired to use the name WCK because WCK no longer means a thing but empty words.

BTW:

What is "strong root to develop and emit proper power from ground up?" Fantasy?
    Last edited by Hendrik; 03-17-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Hendrik i've been looking on this forum for a long time and never realy posted, but its clear you know what your talking about, so this is just my opinion and i am open to critisism, but from my experience so far, to give a powerfull strike at close range, you must sink your body the power then comes from the heels to the k1 point up through the legs out of the hipps, through the elbow and out of the fist, exploding on inpact. If you dont sink your weight then you are top heavy and the power wont be as strong.