Thread: Wing Chun and The root

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Well if you punch at me with a right cross. I Tan Sau or pak sau and then follow your attacking hand to hit your opening. Can I not do this while being rooted?
    Except what comes,accompany what leaves.
    Yes, you can. But there is no root in the kuen kuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    You do alot of typing...But not real substance to what you are saying. Alot of high sounding reason but no real thought behind it.

Lets start off simple?
    Mate, he can write it as simple as humanly possible and you don't seem to understand. He has already said: there is NO ROOT IN WING CHUN! WTF is high sounding reason about that?

Now, I'm not sure if I agree with him or not, but it does make more sense than a lot of trash about wing chun I hear, and I don't have anywhere near a deep enough knowledge of wing chun to argue with him, even after all these years. Plus, my wing chun is strong enough to do what I want it to do I reckon in most cases, and I am always learning and growing through it, which is sufficient for me, though maybe no substitute for Hendrik's Buddhist beliefs. Fair enough. I have an interest in Buddhism from a strictly lay PoV: I am not Hendrik.

But the point is: he has said what he thinks clearly enough. If you are confused maybe you should stop asking questions about things he's already written and read them again - then we won't get these circular arguments ad nauseam.

Hendrik, thanks for persevering with this thread. Interesting. I'd never thought about your point before... I'd never really bothered to even consider that if it's not in the kuen kuit it therefore may not be wing chun... lol, I'll have to think about that more.

'The accept what comes, send what goes' always seemed to me to be the same as in many martial arts (I first came across it in aikido where it is the ultimate advocation of mobility) but I had always wondered how you were supposed to 'send' from one rooted position, and always aimed to do the opposite!

Couple of questions:

1) Are there no other expressions in any of the original Chinese that may be translated as 'root'-like concepts; eg. base?

2) Does the concept of chum not cover rooting in a whole body sense?

3) Is there a similar idea to the six directions of tai chi in wing chun? (This would maybe explain how to generate power through the spine, the muscle networks in your upper and lower back and the arch of your pelvic gridle together with the knees, feet etc without having to physically screw yourself into the ground)

4) I had come to think of my root in wing chun as being not there until I turn it on for the point of impact, and being not there again after... as I said elsewhere on this thread... on-off energy just like the punch itself. According to you, is this a load of old bollocks?

You don't have to soften anything for me... I like it straight!
    Last edited by Mr Punch; 03-23-2009 at 10:46 PM.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan