Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun and The root

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    MY WCK isn't too bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    In short he was not actually a kung fu man to start with, what ever his (kickboxing) reputation!

To me he seemed to be thinking or even a little apprehensive. His actions/movements were not unified. He also "bounced" like a kickboxer. I personally did not see any kung fu in what he did.

You know, if you like to contribute, please contribute technically similar to hunt1.

Dont start the Kickboxer....etc stuffs. that is wasting time and discrimination. Who like to get discriminate?

Lets focus on the thread's title.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    You know, if you like to contribute, please contribute technically similar to hunt1.

Dont start the Kickboxer....etc stuffs. that is wasting time and discrimination. Who like to get discriminate?

Lets focus on the thread's title.
    I still did not see any kung fu in his actions and I was serious about my kickboxer comment. He was fighting like sports fighter. IMHO his roots did not look like kung fu roots. He was "bouncing"!

That fighter is apparently a Shaolin kung fu guy. I did not see any Shaolin in anything that he did. The other guy was a BJJ man and he used his BJJ but this guy did not use any kung fu, IMHO!

Furthermore he did not seem to have a clear mind, as if almost worried. That is my opinion anyway.

I still did not see any kung fu in his actions and I was serious about my kickboxer comment. He was fighting like sports fighter. IMHO his roots did not look like kung fu roots. He was "bouncing"!

That fighter is apparently a Shaolin kung fu guy. I did not see any Shaolin in anything that he did. The other guy was a BJJ man and he used his BJJ but this guy did not use any kung fu, IMHO!

Furthermore he did not seem to have a clear mind, as if almost worried. That is my opinion anyway.

Let's wait and see how Pacman contribute.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    among other things, he had no idea how to defend against a basic takedown.

Personally, I canīt wait for Sanjuro roninīs "contribution"...lol.

he was not a skilled fighter period. he also probably did not have any experience defending against take downs.

i do agree he looked very tense and afraid. that probably did not help his skills during the fight.

there are traditional kung fu stylists who do hop around, similar to kickboxers etc.

this one fight is not proof of BJJs superiority over kung fu, given that this is one instance and that this guy presumably knows 0 - 1 styles of kung fu.

my friend tried to take me down the other day, he wrestled with me when i was younger and he now takes BJJ. when he was trying to take me down i hit his pressure points and his entire right arm from neck to fingertip was immobilized. i had to give him accupressure massage afterwards to restore 'chi flow' to his arm

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post

my friend tried to take me down the other day, he wrestled with me when i was younger and he now takes BJJ.

when he was trying to take me down i hit his pressure points and his entire right arm from neck to fingertip was immobilized.

i had to give him accupressure massage afterwards to restore 'chi flow' to his arm

which pressure point you strike him?

Where do you learn these stuffs?

In short he was not actually a kung fu man to start with, what ever his (kickboxing) reputation!

To me he seemed to be thinking or even a little apprehensive. His actions/movements were not unified. He also "bounced" like a kickboxer. I personally did not see any kung fu in what he did.
    I must agree w/HW108 on this: nothing whatsoever about the way that the guy in yellow shorts moved was even remotely suggestive of any TCMA at all: his stance, footwork, even where his hands were (pulling at his shorts, LOL) were entirely indicative of what you would see a point-style karate guy do; if he had in fact studied any TCMA, it was not evident in the least;

that said, the way he handled himself in general was sad; if he had been a good karateka, e.g., kyokushin or shoryn ryu, he would have been much more effective while they were standing - he didn't get a single technique worth anything off, and to use this as evidence of the inherent superiority of BJJ is really questionable; what it shows is that someone who has fighting reasonable skill on the ground will have a relatively easy time taking someone with NO fighting skill to the ground and then submitting him

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    I must agree w/HW108 on this:
    No need to apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn
    nothing whatsoever about the way that the guy in yellow shorts moved was even remotely suggestive of any TCMA at all: his stance, footwork, even where his hands were (pulling at his shorts, LOL) were entirely indicative of what you would see a point-style karate guy do; if he had in fact studied any TCMA, it was not evident in the least;
    That would go for most people who go on to represent TCMAs in sports competitions. Then others(usually clueless knuckleheads) use their "performance" to judge kung fuīs practicality/functionality etc.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn
    that said, the way he handled himself in general was sad; if he had been a good karateka, e.g., kyokushin or shoryn ryu, he would have been much more effective while they were standing - he didn't get a single technique worth anything off, and to use this as evidence of the inherent superiority of BJJ is really questionable; what it shows is that someone who has fighting reasonable skill on the ground will have a relatively easy time taking someone with NO fighting skill to the ground and then submitting him
    Agreed but this guy was "submitted" even before he went to the ground, if you know what I mean.

This very clip was discussed in the Karate Forums a few years ago and I remember some character called "Elbows and Knees" (Yes, another Glorified KB) saying that kung fu guys should be happy about the guy in the shorts because apparently he had won some fights using the Shaolin/Kung fu tag. Of course the fact that the fighter in question could not use authentic kung fu to fight his way out of a paper bag did not seem to get in the way of the posterīs "logic"....LOL.

Anyway, I got told off by the moderator for saying basically what I have said here because the fighter in question (in the video) was a Karate Forum member as well., albeit a silent one in that particular thread.
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 05-10-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Agreed but this guy was "submitted" even before he went to the ground, if you know what I mean.
    if you mean that the BJJ guy "owned" his space and had already taken away his center before they even made contact, well yes; but that would be a so-called "internal" concept, so there's no way that the BJJ guy could have done that

which pressure point you strike him?

Where do you learn these stuffs?
    WC of course

i just watched this thing again i mean seriously jason delucia fighting is a joke.

did he really think that coming in from 3 feet away with a sidekick would actually work? did he think that his oppoennt would not see it coming?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    WC of course
    Which pressure point?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Well with what ever fighter. I have a 100% confidence I would be able to counter and defeat him. I do not mean by standing still and using my strong powers to repel from my force sphere. But I mean by actually feeling his intent and redirecting his force and energy to advantageous posistion for me. So there I answer your question. I have 100% confidence facing the Grappler or Kyoshukin guy.
    'The Grappler' is Royce Gracie, and I have 100% confidence that you wouldnt last even the minute that the Kung Fu fighter lasted.

It was a good clip and it reminded me of why training BJJ was important - because your natural instincts when on the floor in a grapple are the very thing that put you in danger. They are the wrong things to do. You basically give a skilled opponent their oportunities with your stupid attempts to escape.

The kung fu guy is probably a good fighter on his feet. Where he is comfortable. Take a fish out of water though...

As for you yoshi, you are full of ****. You are all talk. (and lists)

Which pressure point?
    Not the sacred spinal pressure point that WC fighters claim will defeat any takedown, as attempted and failed in the clip you posted?

I guess it must be some magical pressure point, needing dim mak to relieve the trapped chi.

And Jesus wept.