Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Wing Chun and The root

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    haha thats fine. then i might as well state that i also did it when i first started wrestling in high school 10 years ago, but my teammates called me a cheater and using "ninja ****" after i made my partner's arm go numb for 30 minutes so i stopped using pressure points.
    There there...

Nuuuuurse!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    haha thats fine. then i might as well state that i also did it when i first started wrestling in high school 10 years ago, but my teammates called me a cheater and using "ninja ****" after i made my partner's arm go numb for 30 minutes so i stopped using pressure points.
    They don't believe using your grip to grab pressure points work!

If i may go back to the title of this post,

If you want to train your root more than what you do in wc then id suggest seeking out a quality internal ma instructor. From my experiences chen taiji guys have a very strong root. I train with a guy that used to take hsing-i his root is also very stable. I have a good book that has some exercises that helps with development of your root. Its called "Effortless Combat Throws" by Tim Cartmell
    "Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."-Psalms 144:1

"I Am The Punishment Of God, If You Had Not Committed Great Sins, God Would Not Have Sent A Punishment Like Me Upon You"-Genghis Khan

"The light of the eyes is a comet, And ones' activity is as lightning, The sword that kills the man; is the sword that saves the man"

Quote Originally Posted by Katsu Jin Ken View Post
    If i may go back to the title of this post,

If you want to train your root more than what you do in wc then id suggest seeking out a quality internal ma instructor. From my experiences chen taiji guys have a very strong root. I train with a guy that used to take hsing-i his root is also very stable. I have a good book that has some exercises that helps with development of your root. Its called "Effortless Combat Throws" by Tim Cartmell
    Thank you for the information. I will have to do a search for that book...What are some of the reasons for developing a root in your opinion????

Hendrik?

Hendrik what exactly is the Root?

What is downward force and how do you issue it?

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post

read the other thread on Rooting.

力從地起,發勁在腰,出招在膊

My translation is not so good, hope it helps.

"Strength comes from the ground", hence the importance of Yi Jee Gum Yong Ma
    "Force issues from the waist", hence the importance of practicing Jun Ma
    "Movement starts from the elbow", hence the importance of proper Yat Ji Chong Kuen

Above is just my little knowledge...
    Last edited by -木叶-; 05-18-2009 at 05:14 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    read the other thread on Rooting.
    If you would humor please share this with me?

Thank you for the information. I will have to do a search for that book...What are some of the reasons for developing a root in your opinion????

majority of people think of rooting defensively, they want to redirect energy they are receiving putting it in the ground. dont forget though that you have to have a solid moble root inorder to issue energy as well. if you cant root you cant make whole body power without your whole body behind your fist its just an arm punch.IMO
    "Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."-Psalms 144:1

"I Am The Punishment Of God, If You Had Not Committed Great Sins, God Would Not Have Sent A Punishment Like Me Upon You"-Genghis Khan

"The light of the eyes is a comet, And ones' activity is as lightning, The sword that kills the man; is the sword that saves the man"

Excellent answer I totally agree...But Hendrik is saying something different. I am trying to get Hendrik to share his greater understanding of Root. Which he says Wing Chun doesn't have a root.

Because Wing Chun can not root!

Quote Originally Posted by Katsu Jin Ken View Post
    majority of people think of rooting defensively, they want to redirect energy they are receiving putting it in the ground. dont forget though that you have to have a solid moble root inorder to issue energy as well. if you cant root you cant make whole body power without your whole body behind your fist its just an arm punch.IMO

Agreed.

MASS in Motion + Mass in motion behind elbow of a punching arm = punch with knockout power.

Wing Chun stance roots differently then, say, boxing, but i think it roots even more inot the ground than boxers/thai boxers. Maybe not as much as say Tai Chi practitioners, but there is definitely root for offensive purposes in the stance.

Quote Originally Posted by taojkd View Post
    A
    Wing Chun stance roots differently then, say, boxing, but i think it roots even more inot the ground than boxers/thai boxers.
    Maybe not as much as say Tai Chi practitioners, but there is definitely root for offensive purposes in the stance.
    Nope, Thai boxers ( those I see in Thailand or SEA) "root" better interm of "deep" and "dynamic" then lots of TCMA people.

I dont like to use the term "root" because it is partial/confusing ; and also those advance internal artist in China doesnt use this term the way people in this forum like to think.

and in fact, as the CXW's clip, they didnt talk about "root" but eight direction support or all direction support or "force Vectors balancing" in the modern term.

The misleading or confusing of using the root term is due to some people dont know what "root" means but take the partial content as a full without have a complete view.

any one who know the Zhang SanFeng Taijichuan lun knows these....

thus, these people cannot applied it practically.

I keep singing the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipFMJckZOM
    but no one listen.
    Last edited by Hendrik; 05-20-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Talking

That was a very clear post....thankyou Hendrik for making your message clear wounderful...thanks for your opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik View Post
    Nope, Thai boxers ( those I see in Thailand or SEA) "root" better interm of "deep" and "dynamic" then lots of TCMA people.

I dont like to use the term "root" because it is partial/confusing ; and also those advance internal artist in China doesnt use this term the way people in this forum like to think.

and in fact, as the CXW's clip, they didnt talk about "root" but eight direction support or all direction support or "force Vectors balancing" in the modern term.

The misleading or confusing of using the root term is due to some people dont know what "root" means but take the partial content as a full without have a complete view.

any one who know the Zhang SanFeng Taijichuan lun knows these....

thus, these people cannot applied it practically.

I keep singing the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipFMJckZOM
    but no one listen.