Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glorified Kickboxer

Glorified Kickboxer

So. I don't really get it. Can someone spell it out for me plain and simple?

Why are some WC folk called glorified kickboxers?

Is it because they don't practice WC exclusively?

Is it because when they spar, it looks like something like kickboxing?

Can someone define the slogan?

Cheers.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

excellent question

I cant wait to hear some of responses...very good question!

I think sanjuro_ronin is the most qualified to answer that.
    Last edited by Yoshiyahu; 03-18-2009 at 06:10 PM.

My assumption was that it was because when people put big gloves on they tend not to be close range infighters but rather longer range looking 'kickboxers' yes.

People that dont fight how they or VT trains essentially.

I kinda agree with the term though, for those that do use actions completely foreign to VT in sparring. For example the use of the extremely round side kick of KB which is mechanically different from VT side kicks... Like the waist useage and contact point of the kick etc (IMO that is )

On the other hand IMO some dont deserve the term and are only painted with that brush by those who think VT doesnt have or cant operate in or at longer ranges. Those that think a parry is not Pak sao or Bi Jong cant be a head guard with gloves etc...

People that think in terms of shapes... its very open to interpritation somewhat like VT LOL.

DREW
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

Great response, Drew.

Thanks, as usual!

Couch, I have little time for people who don't do basic research before bothering the forum.

If you enter "Glorified Kickboxing" into Google, you will find out:

• Canada wanted to change the rules for UFC 97 to straight Glorified Kickboxing rules
    • The UFC is being punished for the mistakes of a Glorified Kickboxing promoter
    • Extreme Couture Long Island has classes in Glorified Kickboxing
    • Liddell, Jardine, Griffin, jackson, Bonner, CroCrop, Mark Hunt, Fedor are all Glorified Kickboxers
    • Some Krav Maga schools teach Glorified Kickboxing classes
    • Lau Gar is very similar to Glorified Kickboxing
    • There are related disciplines called Glorified Butt-Scooting and Glorified Tae Bo
    • Chuck Norris's World Combat League hosted a Glorified Kickboxing Tournament in Tulsa in late 2007 / early 2008

There does seem to be a great deal of interest, though little knowledge, of this rapidly expanding 21st century martial art. While not wanting to cast aspertions on sanjuro_ronin's possible qualifications in the art, I feel that I have been called a "Glorified Kickboxer" often enough to claim some seniority in the art, and this feel I should do all I can to bring this much sopken about but little known martial art to the world. A short article will follow in the next day or two.

I may also write about Theoretical NonFighting, another fast growing 21st century martial art, for pretty much similar reasons.

That said, I would not want to discourage other scholars of these arts from making their own contributions, quite the reverse. After all, Glorified Kickboxing belongs to all humanity!
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by couch View Post

Cheers.
    I don't think the term " Glorified kick Boxers " is ment exclusively for WCers but anyone who trains in their particular art and can't fight with it,and rely more or less on what appears to be Kick Boxing.
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

Quote Originally Posted by stonecrusher69 View Post
    I don't think the term " Glorified kick Boxers " is ment exclusively for WCers but anyone who trains in their particular art and can't fight with it,and rely more or less on what appears to be Kick Boxing.
    You beat me to it.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    You beat me to it.
    Opps!!! sorry Phil
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    I cant wait to hear some of responses...very good question!

I think sanjuro_ronin is the most qualified to answer that.
    You don't know how right you are!

Quote Originally Posted by stonecrusher69 View Post
    Correct, except for the fact that many of the Glorified Kickboxers here in this forum claim to be kung fu fighting while hopping around like boxers and or TKD-ists and using basic kickboxing techniques. Some have even gone further and implied that this was some kind of an "improved" kung fu...lol.

Well I got to give it to this forum, it really is full of laughs.

I call any so called kung fu man who mixes and mashes his kung fu with other irrelevant arts and then gets in the ring and calls what he does "kung fu" or even "improved" or "functional", etc. kung fu.

Quote Originally Posted by couch
    It is because how they don't practice WC (or kung fu) exclusively.

Well some of them would "jump" around like boxers, throwing wide hooks ("because it works") and then would use some chain punching and then refer to what they did as kung fu or even "functional" kung fu.

Unfortunately the term defines most (NOT ALL) of the kung fu "experts" in this forum.

Cheers.
    Don't thank me, thank the Glorified Kickboxers who inspired the "legend".

Cheers.

It is as the great Two Year Grandmaster decrees!!!

Cheers.
    Its a valid question.
    Those that have fought know the answer:
    The Ruleset of a match will dictate the "look" of that match.
    Vale Tudo matched don't look like MT matches and WTF TKD matches don't look like K-1 matches.
    Now, one can ask why is it that when you see MA in a full contact environment with rules or limited rules, that it tends to look like "kick boxing"?
    Well, if you punch, you "box" and if you kick and punch you "kick box", but that is to obvious an answer.
    Fact is, under real pressure, the human body will revert to its most "effective" mode of fighting.
    That is why, regardless of the skill of a WC fighter, when you see him fight full contact, on the surface it will look like "kickboxing" to a certain degree.
    Unless there is a huge skill descrepency between fighters.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Its a valid question.
    Those that have fought know the answer:
    The Ruleset of a match will dictate the "look" of that match.
    Vale Tudo matched don't look like MT matches and WTF TKD matches don't look like K-1 matches.
    Now, one can ask why is it that when you see MA in a full contact environment with rules or limited rules, that it tends to look like "kick boxing"?
    Well, if you punch, you "box" and if you kick and punch you "kick box", but that is to obvious an answer.
    Fact is, under real pressure, the human body will revert to its most "effective" mode of fighting.
    That is why, regardless of the skill of a WC fighter, when you see him fight full contact, on the surface it will look like "kickboxing" to a certain degree.
    Unless there is a huge skill descrepency between fighters.
    Very insightful observations.

Yes, the human body when under high levels of stress and moving at 100% (power/speed) moves in certain ways (you simply can't move in other ways and "keep up"with an opponent). You have to experience this to appreciate it.

I would add is that the "range"or 'stage" or whateveryou want to call it -- whether in stand-up/outside/free-movement or inside/clinch/attached or ground -- changes the "demands" placed on us (since different combative factors come into play) and so will change how we naturally move at 100% in those different situations. On the outside/free-movement, fighting will end up looking like kickboxing since, as you point out, this is how our body naturally moves at 100% in that "range". It looks like boxing/kickboxing since boxers/kickboxers have spent so much time in that range being pressured and moving at 100% that they have come to most closely "embody" that way of movement. Regardless of your style or art, if you fight at that range and your opponent pressures you (and you move all out), it will "look" like kickboxing.

This also applies to clinch and ground.

The consequences of this I think extremely important. If you start with the fight -- what it is really going to be like and how you are really going to NEED to move, then you will realize that if you fight on the outside it will end up "looking" like kickboxing. So, if you want to fight on the outside, doesn't it make sense to train like you will endup fighting? In other words, to practice some form of kickboxing if you want to fight on the outside.

Similarly, if you want to fight on the ground, knowing it will end up looking like wrestling or BJJ, to practice some form of submission grappling?

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Couch, I have little time for people who don't do basic research before bothering the forum.

That said, I would not want to discourage other scholars of these arts from making their own contributions, quite the reverse. After all, Glorified Kickboxing belongs to all humanity!
    You cheeky bugger!!! LOL!!!